Does the 'ideal' apply to me?

Options
I came back to the gym after 3 months, weighed myself and then did it again 2 weeks later. I've only done cardio like spin and some mat exercises.

My results show I put on weight and dropped the bf%, so does this mean I lost fat and gained muscle? Surely not in 2 weeks when I haven't even done weights other than kettlebells? I'm basically trying to get my head around what this means.
And it's clear that I am not in the 'ideal' range, but does this apply to me as someone who exercises daily and will burn more fat than the average person? I'm the right weight but am under body fat so is that alright? I plan to gain muscle when I start doing more weights.

Height: 165cm (5"4.9)
Female

Weight
2weeks ago: 51.2kg (8st)
Today: 52.1 kg (8st 2lb)
Ideal: 50.3kg - 68kg (7st 13lb - 10st 10lb)

B.M.I
2weeks ago: 18.8
Today: 19.1
Ideal: above 18.5

Body fat (%)
2weeks ago: 20.6%
Today: 17.5%
Ideal: above 20.9%

Body fat mass
2 weeks ago: 10.5 kg
Today: 9.1 kg
Ideal: above 10.8 kg

Replies

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    If you're getting your body fat percentage from a smart scale, be aware that it's only a very rough guess.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    I doubut its muscle. how did you measure your fat %? if you put on weight its most likely water retention.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    I would not really take a lot from a bodyfat% changes unless doing it under extremely controlled conditions, and even then its very suspect.

As far the "ideals" and charts and all that. Who cares.

1. Are you healthy?
    2. Is your body looking how you want it to? If so then yes you are ideal if you are also healthy. If not then keep moving in that direction.
  • crevtion
    crevtion Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Oh okay, it was one of those big scales at the gym. They have them in Boots as well of you're from the UK. Even if it is rough, I would understand 1% off but 3%?!)
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    crevtion wrote: »
    I came back to the gym after 3 months, weighed myself and then did it again 2 weeks later. I've only done cardio like spin and some mat exercises.

My results show I put on weight and dropped the bf%, so does this mean I lost fat and gained muscle? Surely not in 2 weeks when I haven't even done weights other than kettlebells? I'm basically trying to get my head around what this means.

It means that the BF measurements are not at all accurate. I've heard they can be off by as much as 10% in either direction. Absolutely meaningless. Just keep doing your plan and you will make progress.
  • crevtion
    crevtion Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Oh I see I see. This is more reason to ditch the scales then I guess. I need to start going by tape measurements and progress photos more then.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    Oh okay, it was one of those big scales at the gym. They have them in Boots as well of you're from the UK. Even if it is rough, I would understand 1% off but 3%?!)

those scales are highly inaccurate. you'd be better off doing a dexa scan,or a bod pod(hydrostatic weighing).
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    When I had my DEXA (which people consider more accurate but still is not super accurate for individuals) I was told not to return for a re-scan for at least 3 months as it generally takes that long for measurable results. I wouldn't count on the accuracy of short term measurement changes from a scale.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options

The one I used to use I could get on it, get off, drink a glass of water, and that water would change it a few %.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Those fluctuate a ton and are not accurate. If you use the same one at the same time every day it will show a trend, but still can fluctuate a lot day to day.

In 2 weeks your BF% won't change significantly at all, and you certainly won't build any measurable amount of muscle (especially for a woman doing mostly cardio).