Do I Look Fat in This (Insert Article of Clothing)?

Packerjohn
Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
Does anything good ever come out of this question? Seems like it either produces a white lie or the truth which causes bad feelings or an argument.

I'm guessing in most cases if someone has to ask they already know the answer.

Replies

• tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    I've never understood why anyone would ask this question. Maybe I'm too insecure.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    No, nothing good comes from either asking or answering that question. Moreover, for the person asking, he/she would do well to focus less on body image and more on what's inside.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    No, nothing good comes from either asking or answering that question. Moreover, for the person asking, he/she would do well to focus less on body image and more on what's inside.

There are good questions to ask. Like "Do I have toilet paper sticking to the back of my shoe? Did I floss well enough? Can you walk when you see me in this skirt?"

"Does this make me look fat" is not one of those good questions.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Has this question ever even been asked in real life?
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    edited October 2016
    Yes I ask my husband all the time. He tells me when he thinks I do and when he says I don't I know he's telling his truth.

ETA - sometimes I don't ask if I really like the outfit:)
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    I want to know if my clothes are too sheer.
    I think that line is only used on the telly
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,954 Member
    I can honestly say I've never asked. I can tell if I look fat in something.
  • Shana67
    Shana67 Posts: 680 Member
    I do ask my husband this question, because I trust his judgement implicitly. And when he does tell me that yeah - maybe you should wear something else - it's done with love and gentleness. He's the world's best person <3
  • Noelani1503
    Noelani1503 Posts: 378 Member
    I ask. I also ask if my makeup is smudged or if there's something in my teeth, and plenty of others. I get the truth. Every now and then my husband asks if I'm sure I wouldn't just rather hear a white lie. I'm sure. I like having a second set of eyes and an honest opinion.
  • PixelPuff
    PixelPuff Posts: 901 Member
    I've asked a similar question, but never that one.

I stepped out of a dressing room to ask a random person nearby about how my butt looked in the jeans. I have an actual reason - they were tighter than I'd normally wear [skinny jeans, even], and I have a lot of extra skin. I had to specifically ask if they could tell something was off skin-wise with my butt. n___n; I have a fold-over, and tight things can make me have... No butt. Straight thigh-size all the way up. But hard to tell for some clothes if you don't have mirrors EVERYWHERE.

They were honest with me, and I did not buy those jeans. Found a different pair of skinnies that were cut a bit better for me and my extra skin.
  • 1nprgr3s
    1nprgr3s Posts: 61 Member
    I ask myself, I don't think anyone else would tell me the truth.
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    edited October 2016
    I ask my husband and my sister because I know they will both answer me honestly with love. I can't always see myself as others see me. I can't count how many times I've seen a photo of myself and been horrified because that's not what I thought I looked like when I gazed in the mirror.

ETA: And we all have a teeth/nose agreement, as well. If there's ever anything stuck in our teeth or hanging out of our noses, we are obligated to tell each other.
  • MsAmandaNJ
    MsAmandaNJ Posts: 1,248 Member
    I never asked that question, it's a loaded one and people don't know if they should lie or be honest. Why anyone throws "fat" in there boggles my mind.

I'll ask my husband, "What do you think of this on me?" or "Is this too much?" gesturing at my cleavage. I expect (and can handle) an honest answer.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    Shana67 wrote: »
    I do ask my husband this question, because I trust his judgement implicitly. And when he does tell me that yeah - maybe you should wear something else - it's done with love and gentleness. He's the world's best person <3

Perfect.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    PixelPuff wrote: »
    I've asked a similar question, but never that one.

I stepped out of a dressing room to ask a random person nearby about how my butt looked in the jeans. I have an actual reason - they were tighter than I'd normally wear [skinny jeans, even], and I have a lot of extra skin. I had to specifically ask if they could tell something was off skin-wise with my butt. n___n; I have a fold-over, and tight things can make me have... No butt. Straight thigh-size all the way up. But hard to tell for some clothes if you don't have mirrors EVERYWHERE.

They were honest with me, and I did not buy those jeans. Found a different pair of skinnies that were cut a bit better for me and my extra skin.

I do this a lot as well. I ask a neutral person in a store. Do I look good/fat/etc. Non biased people give good feedback.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Don't ask unless you want the truth!
  • Rachel0778
    Rachel0778 Posts: 1,701 Member
    I'll ask if something looks flattering or not. The clothing doesn't change the amount of fat on my body so I don't ask if it makes me look fat, but I do like to know if I look my best in an item before I buy it.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Does this pack look good on me?

29796194490_266ed97892_o_d.jpg
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Do I Look Fat in This (Insert Article of Clothing)?

Just tell them, "Nope. Looks like you have a big enough size it hides it all."

They stop asking after a very short time.