Weightloss sizes

So is it the more weight you carry, the more you have to lose to go down a dress size, I started at a large size uk 18. And now I'm just fitting in to large Uk 16s. I started my new lifestyle around 5 months ago, curious to how long it has taken you guys to go a size?and also the smaller I get will it be easier to get in to large 14s or the same amount as Time? :) ive lost around 3 stone so far with nutrition and fitness, I've had setbacks as the first couple of months In I got sciatica then gallstones so has been a nightmare. I've worked hard though :) the plan is to get to a uk size 10 by April.

Replies

• emayc24
    emayc24 Posts: 39 Member
    There's no standardisation for women's clothing. I can get into some 10s and have to go up to a 14 some places because booty. Larger sizes are also more generously fitted on the whole so in reality you may well have been bigger than an 18.

On the whole though, it really comes down to how your fat is distributed. I dropped a size for every 10-14lbs and that seems to be holding true even now. I'm an hourglass.

Yeah I do think i was probably bigger as I always wore Stretchy clothes.

• cmacphee3
    cmacphee3 Posts: 278 Member
    Agreed with those above. I have lost weight before, and it took about 30lbs or so to lose the first size, then 20lbs, then 15lbs, then about 10lbs each after that.
  • Rawr619
    Rawr619 Posts: 82 Member
    I started a US size 12, lost 30 lbs and decided I needed to get rid of my baggy clothes and get new. I fit into a size 2. I think it depends what you're starting weight is and where you hold your weight.
  • Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Hi. Im uk too. Im 5ft and find that in warehouse, oasis, h&m the difference between a size 6 and a size 8 is about 7lbs for me.

Size is crazy- m&s admitted to increasing the size of there usual range by 2 inches. So its meaningless.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Rawr619 wrote: »
    I started a US size 12, lost 30 lbs and decided I needed to get rid of my baggy clothes and get new. I fit into a size 2. I think it depends what you're starting weight is and where you hold your weight.

This is incredible to me. I wore a size 12 at 195 lbs.

I am 166 and just barely fit an 8 (sstadard size), still need a 10 top (and sometimes a 10 bottom / 12 top! )

Same 30 lbs from a size 12. Very different outcomes.
  • astrocosmiczoom
    astrocosmiczoom Posts: 86 Member
    In 21 pounds I went from an 8 US to a large 4 US. So like 1.75 sizes in 21 pounds. It doesn't seem like much, haha.
  • idabest777
    idabest777 Posts: 97 Member
    tomteboda wrote: »
    Rawr619 wrote: »

This is incredible to me. I wore a size 12 at 195 lbs.

I am 166 and just barely fit an 8 (sstadard size), still need a 10 top (and sometimes a 10 bottom / 12 top! )

Same 30 lbs from a size 12. Very different outcomes.

I was (what felt like) squeezing into size 10/12 when i was 163lbs. I've lost 35lbs and have pants that fit now between sizes 4-8 (all from different places so they fit the same but have different sizes). I'll probably be down another size in another 5ish lbs though.
  • sisxena
    sisxena Posts: 47 Member
    edited November 2016
    I used to be a size 24 US this is a EUR 52/54 and a UK 24/26 after 66 pounds I can Finally get into US 18/16 depends the brand.
    I want to be able to fit a US 12 someday soon. And after that we will see.

And as you ladies said before, it depends on where the fat lays, or body types. Because If my belly was smaller, I think I would all ready fit a Size 16/14.
  • LaReinaDeCorazones
    LaReinaDeCorazones Posts: 274 Member
    It's crazy to me that at my re-starting weight of 245 I was a size 18/17 (which I still am ) but at 160 I always wore 11/12s
  • DanyellMcGinnis
    DanyellMcGinnis Posts: 315 Member
    I started at about a 10, US, at 162.4 pounds. I don't remember exact size transitions because I had about 5 different sizes in my closet and mixed them up and wore things long past the point when they looked tent-like on me. When my number of pounds lost was 38 or 39, I bought size 4 pants and they felt pretty good. I have only lost a pound or two in the last month and the size 4 pants are now too big. (Still losing inches.) Shirt size was small for most of this time, now XS (I carry most of my weight in my bottom half).

In general it seems about 10 pounds for a size if you average things out. Until I get to the 4->2 transition, anyway, then it really doesn't make sense. Unless I am drastically overestimating exercise calories, eating at maintenance, and putting on muscle (but it seems a bit of a stretch to put on much muscle in a month or two as a woman not doing a ton of strength training and attempting to eat at a deficit).
  • LynnBBQ72
    LynnBBQ72 Posts: 151 Member
    I carry all of my weight in my belly. I started at 222 lbs in a tight U.S. size 22W pants. I've lost 22 lbs and fit into a size 18 regular now, so 22 lbs on me = 3 sizes. And the 18's are baggy in the legs so maybe 5 more pounds and I'll be in a 16. I'm 5'5.5" so I look at others who are wearing size 16's and they weigh a lot more than I do... and I am amazed at how we all carry our weight differently.
  • Paschen81
    Paschen81 Posts: 150 Member
    I think plus size clothes are on average are bigger between the sizes. I remember when I started to lose weight I lost 45 pounds before I went from a US 24W to a US 22W. I am still in a 22W. Though tight in my hips still its way loose at my waist. Hopefully in another 20 lbs I'll be able to go down another size.
  • PixelPuff
    PixelPuff Posts: 901 Member
    I'm a child's large [or heaven forbid, child's medium] in some places, up to size 3 in women's/junior's other places.

If only they were standard..
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Non standardisation is why I shop by my measurements online and take 3 sizes into a fitting room if I can be bothered trying on out and about. Modern sizing also has a smaller variance between waist and hips/bust due to women being larger in the waist on average now.

My waist is 28", most UK retailers have this around a UK10 (US6) but my backside and thighs can be a 12 or 14.

Let's not even start a discussion about gymnasts/dancers calves and knee high boots.............
  • suzeqnu
    suzeqnu Posts: 7 Member
    I heard somewhere that the standard is about every 20lbs you drop a size. I'm glad this question came up. I've always wonder if it was different for others. My arms always keep me from dropping shirt sizes. :(
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    That's how it worked for me when I lost weight the first time. It took me around 40 pounds to drop the first size, then around 25-30 for the next, and then it started happening every 10-15 pounds. It's worth the wait, I promise!
  • Abbysmum2010
    Abbysmum2010 Posts: 5 Member
    Honestly, I think we should all start a class action against clothing designers and manufacturers for time lost trying to figure out what size we are. If only there were standard sizes. (Sorry, I know this isn't the question that the OP asked....I got sidetracked reading all the answers.)