It's long and boring but I needed to post it...

lauramdx4
lauramdx4 Posts: 33 Member
edited November 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
It was about 15 years ago today that my weight became a HUGE problem. (No pun intended) I was always overweight but when I quit smoking...I became a lot more than just overweight. I quit smoking in September 2001 and unfortunately something small and sweet took the place of a cigarette...1 or 2 M&Ms were the best! Then Halloween came....I had 3 young girls and now a house FULL of candy... i probably don't need to finish that part of the story because I'm sure you know the ending because I'm posting on My Fitness Pal.... anyhow here is my pity party..I had a tough day at school ( I am a kindergarten teacher and it is the day after Halloween... who wouldn't have a rough day) I came home...and my son who went trick or treating with friends last night decides it's a great time to count his candy. Long story short, he is down about 20 fun size candy bars because I couldn't stop myself! I feel guilty and I feel like every pound of the 73 I have lost will be back tomorrow when I step on the scale. I know, tomorrow is a new day but this is the first time on this 10 month journey that I have felt this way... I hate that I ate that candy and worse yet, scared that what I did 15 years ago by gaining 100 pounds has just begun again. I'm writing this post in hopes that being able to read it back to myself will help in some way. And if you are reading this, thanks for coming to my pity party.

Replies

• sweetilemon
    sweetilemon Posts: 122 Member
    I agree, you've stopped yourself in the act. Draw a line under it, make a plan for the next week or even day. ..and update in a weeks time when you've stayed the same or lost a little. You can do this, everyone has blips.
  • Darcy0316
    Darcy0316 Posts: 39 Member
    Have a plan for slip ups. A slip up will not derail you unless you let it go to a full blown derailment. We ALL have slip ups because, HELLO, we are human, not perfect. First shift your mind set. You might be thinking "I always do this! I'm a loser! I can't do this", which is ridiculous when you've already lost 70 lbs, it's obvious that you do NOT always do this and you are a winner, not a loser! Instead, think "I've got this, I can do this, I am already doing this". Have a plan ready made for slip ups. Drink lots of water, feed yourself some especially nutritious food, take a walk, whatever makes you feel healthier and more "self cared" for, yes, care for yourself a little bit better, and be kinder to yourself for awhile. You can do this, you ARE doing this.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    I'm always slipping up but I haven't gained much weight back in 2.5 years. The fear is still there though. Just log it and get back on track.
  • dkayingram
    dkayingram Posts: 737 Member
    Congratulations on your success so far. One slip up won't ruin your hard work. You have owned it, now move on. Today is a brand new day!
  • PennWalker
    PennWalker Posts: 554 Member
    lauramdx4 wrote: »
    It was about 15 years ago today that my weight became a HUGE problem. (No pun intended) I was always overweight but when I quit smoking...I became a lot more than just overweight. I quit smoking in September 2001 and unfortunately something small and sweet took the place of a cigarette...1 or 2 M&Ms were the best! Then Halloween came....I had 3 young girls and now a house FULL of candy... i probably don't need to finish that part of the story because I'm sure you know the ending because I'm posting on My Fitness Pal.... anyhow here is my pity party..I had a tough day at school ( I am a kindergarten teacher and it is the day after Halloween... who wouldn't have a rough day) I came home...and my son who went trick or treating with friends last night decides it's a great time to count his candy. Long story short, he is down about 20 fun size candy bars because I couldn't stop myself! I feel guilty and I feel like every pound of the 73 I have lost will be back tomorrow when I step on the scale. I know, tomorrow is a new day but this is the first time on this 10 month journey that I have felt this way... I hate that I ate that candy and worse yet, scared that what I did 15 years ago by gaining 100 pounds has just begun again. I'm writing this post in hopes that being able to read it back to myself will help in some way. And if you are reading this, thanks for coming to my pity party.

I've gone to the emergency room twice in my life because of migraines caused by too much chocolate people at work left as gifts on my desk during the holidays. Yes, I knew I could get sick, but I ate it anyway -- and threw up from migraines for three days. I know all about the self-control thing with sugar, but I have never been able to do that and have to face those facts. I don't have kids so I can control what food I have in my house (no Halloween candy).

I don't have an answer. I just want to say I feel for you. And yes, I feel things like this can cause a slide back into bad health. Make today a new day. Remind yourself of all you went through and that you have chosen to have a better life.
  • Sara1791
    Sara1791 Posts: 760 Member
    I know that scared feeling of being on a slippery slope back. You're not though. You recognize it as an unhealthy behavior, you owned up to it, & now you can move on.

Maybe next time, if it doesn't undo your work in building good habits, give yourself permission for one or two & fit it into your calories.
  • P13C35
    P13C35 Posts: 38 Member
    You acknowledged it. People on here won't let you slide. We're all here for each other. 10 mos and the loss is awesome. Acknowledged, known, move on. Hey, this is your first Halloween, don't comedown hard, that might just lead to more of the bad. Keep healthy
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    20 fun sized candy bars doesn't contain enough calories to cause even one pound of fat gain. You may experience water weight gain from that binge but you certainly aren't going to gain 20 lbs of fat from it.

Put it behind you and move forward. You can't change the past so there is no point in dwelling on it. The future is within your control. That should be your focus.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Next year put aside 2 bars and tell yourself that's your limit. As for "damage control" now, be sure you log it and move on. This happens to us all. The biggest worry is that you're terrified you'll give up. You need confidence that you can do this long term. The more you beat yourself up, the worse it will be. Best of luck.
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    edited November 2016
    As others mentioned, you only ate enough to gain ~ 1/2 pound of actual fat. Get right back on track. Don't look at the scale or you might see "fake" gain due to glycogen replenishment. Water binds to glycogen so you will see a woosh up for about 3 days. As you consume the glycogen the water weight will pop back off. Don't let this little blip derail you!
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    You've repented and publicly confessed.
    Apologize to the kid for eating his candy. Buy him a small toy to make amends. Then get the heck back on the wagon and get moving.

I'm as guilty as you, but wallowing in guilt just makes it worse in my experience.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,281 Member
    Count the calories of what you ate.. and burn it off with exercise. Teach your subconscious mind that for every action there is an equal or greater reaction. So instead of feeling sorry for yourself.. get your rear on the elliptical for a total of 2 hours. Break up the time. .do what you must.. But work it off.. and then you won't have any reason for a pity party.
  • hcdo
    hcdo Posts: 201 Member
    edited November 2016
    I totally get where you're coming from. Occasions like Halloween usually cause me to fall off the wagon, and once I'm off I get in a downward spiral. I feel like, hey, I already totally ruined my eating for the day, might as well eat 20 more pieces of candy! And the next day, and the next.... This year, I'm dreading this holiday season but I'm going to try REALLY hard to do what others are telling you to do: log it and move on without derailing all your progress. Today is a new day. You can do it!! Thanks for sharing and just know you're not alone. Plus, you've come so far. Be proud of yourself!!
  • BuffMom84
    BuffMom84 Posts: 180 Member
    What you are doing now is better than what you were doing before, right? You already lost 73 lbs, great job! So there's a hiccup here and there, it's not a big deal if you get back to eating healthy the next day. I had 6 pieces of candy on Halloween and it added up to 350 calories, and had 2 pieces of pizza (520 calories!). I was over my calorie goal for the day. But if I hadn't been tracking what I was eating, I know I would've eaten over a dozen candies and probably an extra piece of pizza and a few bread sticks. Holidays are tough!