Woman that needs to eat like a man. HALP.

Hey guys, I am a female diesel mechanic. I work physically hard, my job is demanding and at lunch time I want to eat anything but a salad.. After getting dirty and working hard I wanna eat a burger. I'm working towards my inner 'girlish figure'. What are satisfying foods I can have to help my goal??

Replies

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    I had a ribeye steak and bacon. Guess I'm a dude.

How's it hangin, bro?

As a guy, I eat a whole bunch of different foods. Realistically, just eat what you like and/or want to eat - just a little less than what you'd normally do.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    I assume you are looking to lose weight and for that you require a calorie deficit. You can eat whatever you want within your calorie goal.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    TR0berts wrote: »
    As a guy, I eat a whole bunch of different foods. Realistically, just eat what you like and/or want to eat - just a little less than what you'd normally do.

Exactly this.

For weight loss, calories are the bottom line. For overall health, of course you want a well rounded diet, but there are many paths to that. You can get your nutrients from a variety of sources, even burgers :)
  • Carchick94
    Carchick94 Posts: 11 Member
    I had dirty rice and ice cream last night. Today's breakfast was sausage & veggie mini frittatas and lunch will be mac & cheese with spicy tuna. Am I eating like a man or a woman? Plz advise!

Bleh.. I dunno what you're eating
  • reyoflightphoto
    reyoflightphoto Posts: 76 Member
    If you want to lose weight, log all your food, eat lots of protein at least 80g/day, maintain a deficit of at least 250 cal a day no more than 1000cal deficit a day and that's all there is to it. I recommend salads to give you vitamins and fiber, but you need protein to keep you going and not lose muscle mass. You want to lose fat, NOT muscle!!! I personally would stay away from burgers and bacon simply because stuff like tuna and chicken breast have less calories and you can eat way more, but as long as you keep a deficit you are golden. What you eat only determines how comfortable you are while losing weight. Protein keeps you feeling full. Salads help too but they don't keep you comfortable for more than an hour. Protein sticks with you. I ate 120g when I was losing weight. Now I eat 130g! If you want support you can friend me. You can do this!!
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Salads don't = weight loss and aren't required to make it happen. Eat what you like but cut your portions or lighten up your "man foods."

Are you looking for substitutions for man-foods, or generally hearty meals that can be made lower in calories?

Chili - literally thousands of recipes, many under 300 calories a serving
    stew with lots of vegetables
    baked potatoes topped with taco-seasoned beans, salsa, and cheese
    quesadillas with ground turkey/chicken/lean beef, peppers, and salsa
    burgers with a smaller patty (1/4 instead of 1/2 pounder) and lower-calorie condiments. Maybe eat it on a whole-grain English muffin with a higher fiber content to make it more filling.
    BLTs with a smaller portion of bread or wrap
    Pulled rotisserie chicken with lots of veggies and salsa in taco shells
    Loaded potato soup with half of the potatoes/cream replaced with pureed cauliflower
    Toss buffalo sauce and little melted butter with a lot of popcorn
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Just say no to salads. I never eat them.

I do eat lots of grilled chicken.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Carchick94 wrote: »
    I think I have it in my head that as a woman trying to lose weight I have to eat salad and no more than 5 almonds.

I blame images like this:
    10zz8ovfplc8.jpg

Seriously, if you want to eat a burger, then eat a burger. Just fit it into your calorie goal.

A burger will probably be more satisfying after working hard than a salad.

I'm actually serious here.. This has been eye opening. Something so simple.. I truly thought this is what had to be done and is probably why I have always failed.

I think I'm coming off as a bit of a jerk here with my sarcasm so I want to apologize. I don't mean you should ditch vegetables and salad altogether - as mentioned by other users, if you want to eat more for less calories, salad is great. You can eat a lot of it for low calories, which may help you reach your goal.

I just wanted to stress that you don't have to be miserable to lose weight. You can do it in a perfectly healthy manner by eating whatever foods you desire, but in more reasonable portions. It may not mean a burger every day, but it could be eating that burger for lunch one day, and ditching the shake or fries to save calories. Maybe have the salad as the side of your burger.

A calorie deficit is all you need for weight loss. Where those calories come from is entirely up to you.
  • PriceK01
    PriceK01 Posts: 834 Member
    IIFYM If it fits your macros, eat it. As everyone else said, so long as your eating at a deficit and getting plenty of protein, you're fine. I'm told I eat like a man, whatever that means. I'm also told I workout like a man (weight lifting), so I guess it works.
  • Carchick94
    Carchick94 Posts: 11 Member
    I think I have it in my head that as a woman trying to lose weight I have to eat salad and no more than 5 almonds.

I blame images like this:
    10zz8ovfplc8.jpg

Seriously, if you want to eat a burger, then eat a burger. Just fit it into your calorie goal.

A burger will probably be more satisfying after working hard than a salad.

I'm actually serious here.. This has been eye opening. Something so simple.. I truly thought this is what had to be done and is probably why I have always failed.

I think I'm coming off as a bit of a jerk here with my sarcasm so I want to apologize. I don't mean you should ditch vegetables and salad altogether - as mentioned by other users, if you want to eat more for less calories, salad is great. You can eat a lot of it for low calories, which may help you reach your goal.

I just wanted to stress that you don't have to be miserable to lose weight. You can do it in a perfectly healthy manner by eating whatever foods you desire, but in more reasonable portions. It may not mean a burger every day, but it could be eating that burger for lunch one day, and ditching the shake or fries to save calories. Maybe have the salad as the side of your burger.

A calorie deficit is all you need for weight loss. Where those calories come from is entirely up to you.

You're not coming off that way at all! I'm actually glad you posted the pic cause it's true! I think maybe a lot of women including myself have been conditioned to thinking this way?