Woman that needs to eat like a man. HALP.

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Carchick94 wrote: »
    I think I have it in my head that as a woman trying to lose weight I have to eat salad and no more than 5 almonds.

I blame images like this:
    10zz8ovfplc8.jpg

Seriously, if you want to eat a burger, then eat a burger. Just fit it into your calorie goal.

A burger will probably be more satisfying after working hard than a salad.

I'm actually serious here.. This has been eye opening. Something so simple.. I truly thought this is what had to be done and is probably why I have always failed.

I think I'm coming off as a bit of a jerk here with my sarcasm so I want to apologize. I don't mean you should ditch vegetables and salad altogether - as mentioned by other users, if you want to eat more for less calories, salad is great. You can eat a lot of it for low calories, which may help you reach your goal.

I just wanted to stress that you don't have to be miserable to lose weight. You can do it in a perfectly healthy manner by eating whatever foods you desire, but in more reasonable portions. It may not mean a burger every day, but it could be eating that burger for lunch one day, and ditching the shake or fries to save calories. Maybe have the salad as the side of your burger.

A calorie deficit is all you need for weight loss. Where those calories come from is entirely up to you.

You're not coming off that way at all! I'm actually glad you posted the pic cause it's true! I think maybe a lot of women including myself have been conditioned to thinking this way?

Absolutely, a lot of women think that way. When they think diet they think eat salads and do a ton of cardio. That may work for some but it's not required by any means. Keeping your protein up as you cut calories is going to help you retain as much muscle as possible and go a long way toward getting you the girlish figure you mentioned above. I'm sure you have a nice muscle base considering your job. (I'm kind of jealous of you and your job. I need to get a heavier calculator or something because I'm sure not building any strength during work hours.)
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    edited November 2016
    I'm a sedentary 5'4" 42 year old woman on 1200 calories. I eat burgers, pasta, potatoes, soup, turkey, ham, chicken, sandwiches, casseroles, salads, vegetables, etc. My dh eats the same foods I do. My diary is public.
    How I typically eat:
    Breakfast- things like Greek yogurt, granola bars, cereal with milk, sandwich, dinner leftovers, fruit, cottage cheese (about 200-300 calories)
    Lunch- things like sandwich, salad, or dinner leftovers (about 300-500 calories)
    Dinner- something different every night of the month. (about 500-600 calories) I have soup once a week usually.
    Snacks- things like fruit, chips, popcorn, pretzels, chocolate, cookies, granola bar, carrots, celery, broccoli, trail mix, deviled eggs, pickles, cottage cheese (about 100-300 calories)
    Just get the right portion size for you and eat whatever food you want. There is no man/woman food just different portion sizes. Get enough protein, fat and fiber for more satisfying meals.
    Salads can be more than lettuce. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10270725/things-to-go-in-salads#latest Throw in eggs, beans, meat, cheese, avocado, vegetables, nuts, fruit, etc and you can get a pretty hearty salad.
  • Carchick94
    Carchick94 Posts: 11 Member
    jemhh wrote: »
    I think I have it in my head that as a woman trying to lose weight I have to eat salad and no more than 5 almonds.

10zz8ovfplc8.jpg

Seriously, if you want to eat a burger, then eat a burger. Just fit it into your calorie goal.

I'm actually serious here.. This has been eye opening. Something so simple.. I truly thought this is what had to be done and is probably why I have always failed.

I think I'm coming off as a bit of a jerk here with my sarcasm so I want to apologize. I don't mean you should ditch vegetables and salad altogether - as mentioned by other users, if you want to eat more for less calories, salad is great. You can eat a lot of it for low calories, which may help you reach your goal.

I just wanted to stress that you don't have to be miserable to lose weight. You can do it in a perfectly healthy manner by eating whatever foods you desire, but in more reasonable portions. It may not mean a burger every day, but it could be eating that burger for lunch one day, and ditching the shake or fries to save calories. Maybe have the salad as the side of your burger.

A calorie deficit is all you need for weight loss. Where those calories come from is entirely up to you.

You're not coming off that way at all! I'm actually glad you posted the pic cause it's true! I think maybe a lot of women including myself have been conditioned to thinking this way?

Absolutely, a lot of women think that way. When they think diet they think eat salads and do a ton of cardio. That may work for some but it's not required by any means. Keeping your protein up as you cut calories is going to help you retain as much muscle as possible and go a long way toward getting you the girlish figure you mentioned above. I'm sure you have a nice muscle base considering your job. (I'm kind of jealous of you and your job. I need to get a heavier calculator or something because I'm sure not building any strength during work hours.)

I do have quite the muscle underneath my protective padding.. but don't be too jealous
  • KickassAmazon76
    KickassAmazon76 Posts: 4,537 Member
    If you want to use your "eat like a man" saying... then here's the thing... If you "work like a man" then you're free to "eat like a man".

It's calories in vs calories out. If you're burning a good chunk of calories because of your strenuous work, then you can afford to eat more.

Gender doesn't matter.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    edited November 2016

LOL! nope, you can eat real stuff and it's fun. i know what you mean by conditioning though. i feel so badass when i do a deadlift, and then i feel even more badass when i come home and eat a dead cow. point being, you can make that conditioning work for you psychologically if you turn it inside out.
  • jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    I had dirty rice and ice cream last night. Today's breakfast was sausage & veggie mini frittatas and lunch will be mac & cheese with spicy tuna. Am I eating like a man or a woman? Plz advise!

first things first - @diannethegeek - can you tell me about this mac & cheese with spicy tuna?

@Carchick94 - have you put in your stats to mfp and had it come up with a calorie goal for you? you can start with a reasonable deficit of 1lb or .5lbs per week and start logging what you eat as accurately as possible to see where you stand with regards to those goals. then you can make small changes to help you fit within the calories allotted. you really don't have to change the way you eat completely or all at once. you can try taking your normal calories down by 50 or 100 per day to start and ease your way into a deficit. that will give you time to consider which foods are doing the most for you - keeping you full, making you happy, etc., which you could skip and which you could bulk up on to give you more 'stuff' to eat at a bargain. it's the last component that includes a lot of veggies or maybe salads, but that doesn't have to be the majority of your food. you don't ever have to waste calories on food you don't enjoy either. if you aren't into salads don't force them down, try something else.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member

No. Hell no! :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member

You have a physically demanding job...your calorie requirements are going to be greater than a woman with a desk job. You need to eat to support your activity.

What did you put for your activity level? What kind of calorie target did you get?
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    edited November 2016

Well I'm screwed, then.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    sllm1 wrote: »
    Just say no to salads. I never eat them.

I do eat lots of grilled chicken.

Oh I wouldn't go that far, at least not for me. Heck they are generally the source of ALL of my "greens". Certainly not every day, but maybe twice a week, for lunch. Def with grilled chicken though...love my chicken!
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    I'm here for my penis.

OP, I eat what I want. Paying attention to feeling full, along with macros and micros to meet all of my nutritional needs. I eat steak and veggies, burgers, ice cream, and beer. Not generally all in the same day, mind you. As others have said, don't deprive yourself of the things you enjoy, just plan the day differently.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    What? There are man and woman foods?
    What is this? I can't even.

Just eat what you like. Stay within your calories. Boom. Done.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member

10zz8ovfplc8.jpg

Every day I can eat at a deficit and not have to have a salad is a win in my book.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Eating salads on a diet is actually too much work. There's weighing all the fixin's which is a real pain the *kitten* and salad dressing just makes me cry because I only like the creamy stuff. Screw salad.
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Eating salads on a diet is actually too much work. There's weighing all the fixin's which is a real pain the *kitten* and salad dressing just makes me cry because I only like the creamy stuff. Screw salad.

ME.
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    i didnt know foods were classified by gender. so men cant eat salads? Hmmm. il stop myself there and say eat whatever you want at a deficit.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    I'll eat a big old caesar salad with chicken and good dressing, but it's hardly calorie light.
  • jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    That's legit though. i have done the same when i forget my lunch, grab an amy's easy mac and 2 pouches of tuna from the cvs down the street from the office.