Jogging after a large weight loss

I was wondering if anyone could recommend a product that might help me. I've lost 140-145 lbs. so far - down to around 245-250# from 390# originally. I used to enjoy walking but more recently I have wanted to step up the challenge and have enjoyed jogging, but the loose belly skin flopping about has made it a bit awkward. Mostly I'm just looking for something like a compression sleeve or a non-rigid belt that is wide enough to encompass all of that, which would sort of cinch everything in. I'm not at a point financially where I can afford the surgery but that may be an option farther on down the line. I've scoured the nets and found a variety of products but I'm a bit confused by some of it. I don't know anyone in my circles who faces this particular problem and I figured someone here might be able to point me in the right direction or offer some recommendation. The alternative I've been considering is just to buy a bolt of some kind of breathable fabric or use an old bed sheet or something and tie it off tightly and wear that beneath a t-shirt when I go jogging, but I figure there's got to be something out there.. right?

Thanks! -GK :smile:

Replies

• VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    I think this is a time when a "waist trainer" may actually be helpful! They do them for men. Obviously not to do anything to your waist but as a compression product they may work. Loads on eBay.
  • thunder1982
    thunder1982 Posts: 280 Member
    My first thought was bike pants which basically look like compression shorts. They help with chafing between legs too.
  • AngelinaB_
    AngelinaB_ Posts: 563 Member
    Elastic bandage the one used in first aids to compress injuries might be a good solution too and pretty cheap.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    I suspect that so few people lose that much weight that demand is low for such a garment but if I am wrong you may have an opportunity there. Just curious, if the body can expand to that size can it not, all be it slowly, contract? I am not sure if cells get larger or if they increase in numbers when weight increases. Not trying to offend but I am thinking outloud here. I suppose age and elasticity are factors as well. Anyway congratulations on a terrific weight loss. Running really help me on my journey and I have grown to love it! Keep up the good work.
  • AngelinaB_
    edited November 2016
    @rsclause It's kind of common to have excess skin after a lot of weight loss. Your question about fat cells, they usually never change in quantity, they only expand and contract. http://science.howstuffworks.com/life/cellular-microscopic/fat-cell.htm. You can remove them surgically. And you should never apply them as fillers, because guess what, if you gain weight they get puffy with you!
  • momar74
    momar74 Posts: 56 Member
    You may want to try Spanx Compression T's and shorts, pricey though. Also, pick-up Body-Glide, it works wonders to avoid chafing. Angelina's suggestion is a great one to start.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    I had a quick peruse of eBay, there are all sorts of compression garments for men (just search shapewear for men) and cheap enough to try a few and see what works.

Body Glide is a very good shout also for any other chafing you might have.
  • AngelinaB_
    @momar74 I remember my mom elastic bandage her breast when she was going to exercise... she always said that women should elastic bandage their breast to prevent sagging lol. A 70s solution to sports bras :)
  • GreyKnight120
    GreyKnight120 Posts: 60 Member
    Thank you all for the suggestions! I had checked Amazon but wasn't entirely sure what I was supposed to be looking for. Some of what I have seen has been pretty inexpensive, and if I find something that works well I'll come back to post a reply. Thanks again! ~GK :smile:
  • Cave_Goose
    Cave_Goose Posts: 156 Member
    Congrats on the weight loss! Good luck on the running!
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Simple compression shorts (or pants) should do the trick.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    I have had a hard time finding clothes that actually compress my flab enough. It's really annoying. I suggest going to department stores or sports stores and trying some stuff on.
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    You can check out places like TJ Maxx, Marshall's, Kohl's, Target, etc. I often find large selections of compression shorts and pants, and trying them on first will be helpful. Marshall's and TJ's often have brands like Under Armor and Nike for half the retail price.
  • FernRunner
    FernRunner Posts: 79 Member
    I think this is a great question. :)
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    I was going to suggest Spanx as well. There's a more affordable off brand called Assets, sold at Target.
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    edited November 2016
    This site has Under Armour as a major sponsor - that is a clickable icon at the top of the page - give it a try! Just search for compression - I am sure you will find something that will work.
  • TreyTnt9
    TreyTnt9 Posts: 104 Member
    @Katamondango The OP is a man, I don't think he is looking for bras. :/
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    TreyTnt9 wrote: »
    @Katamondango The OP is a man, I don't think he is looking for bras. :/

Who said anything about bras?

They do make spanx for men too.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    rsclause wrote: »
    I suspect that so few people lose that much weight that demand is low for such a garment but if I am wrong you may have an opportunity there. Just curious, if the body can expand to that size can it not, all be it slowly, contract? I am not sure if cells get larger or if they increase in numbers when weight increases. Not trying to offend but I am thinking outloud here. I suppose age and elasticity are factors as well. Anyway congratulations on a terrific weight loss. Running really help me on my journey and I have grown to love it! Keep up the good work.

It doesnt always bounce back and contract. After I lost 86lb the first time I have permanent skin damage to my lower abs. Ive met with doctora and would be a good tummy tuck candidate if I could afford one.

To the OP running shorts help if they are high waisted enough.