OVERNIGHT OATS. Quick and easy

marv_26
marv_26 Posts: 6 Member
edited November 2016 in Recipes
nfkh5upuj1yn.png

This is one I make the night before and takes 5 minutes as no cooking required. if your up early, or generally in a rush in the mornings this is a right treat. It is a super food breakfast and is also slow releasing energy so it keeps you full for longer. Enjoy!!!!

Ingredients:
1 cup of Oats
1 cup of almond/coconut/skimmed milk
1/3 of a cup of blueberries (strawberries optional)
1 teaspoon of chia seeds
8 cashews crushed or whole
If more protein is needed add a scoop of whey

Method:
Mix all ingredients into a bowl, cover and leave overnight. I use mason jars like in the picture as it looks better for all you Instagram pests ;).

Hope you enjoy the recipe as I love it.

ADD ME FOR MORE RECIPES

Marv

Replies

• Hope_bay74
    Hope_bay74 Posts: 273 Member
    Do you heat it up or eat it cold?
  • maeggggan
    maeggggan Posts: 71 Member
    over night oats are my FAVE! my go to breakfast :)
  • leajas1
    leajas1 Posts: 823 Member
    Mmm. Right now I'm doing 60 grams of oats mixed with 12 grams of PB2, a packet of Stevia, and 1/2 cup of almond milk. Then I top it with either chocolate covered sunflower seeds or mini semi-sweet chocolate chips.
  • marv_26
    @Hope_bay74 you eat it cold, it's not as bad as it sounds it's actually quite refreshing. Depending on your activity and weight goals I'd tweek the Oats amount down to 1/2 to maybe 3/4 of a cup. I'm a very active and hungry man so I eat a lot
  • bigizzy
    bigizzy Posts: 73 Member
    Wow, not sure if it's the angle but that jar looks massive. I normally have 10 spoonfuls and I'm done! Well done!
  • marv_26
    bigizzy wrote: »
    Wow, not sure if it's the angle but that jar looks massive. I normally have 10 spoonfuls and I'm done! Well done!

It's about a cup size. The picture is deceiving.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    When I have oatmeal, I use Flahavan's Steel Cut. I toss it in a bowl with milk or water, put it in the microwave for 3 minutes, stir cook for another 2 minutes, and done. If you're going to have it hot, doing the overnight thing really isn't any faster. If you want it cold, well, to each his own.
  • marv_26
    vingogly wrote: »
    When I have oatmeal, I use Flahavan's Steel Cut. I toss it in a bowl with milk or water, put it in the microwave for 3 minutes, stir cook for another 2 minutes, and done. If you're going to have it hot, doing the overnight thing really isn't any faster. If you want it cold, well, to each his own.

Yes, of course you can whack it in the microwave and cook it. Just like you can have an egg boiled, scrambled, poached and many other variants.

It's just a different take on the usual standard Oats recipe. But like you say, each to their own. Some prefer, some don't. That's the joy of the world we live in. Choice.

• Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    i love porridge, but really cant imagine it cold.
    so i have mine in the fridge right now and will try it in the morning. i guess if i hate it i can zap it for 1 min in the microwave.
  • Calibrate
    Calibrate Posts: 52 Member
    Love overnight oats! I just do 1/2 cup of oats and a cup of cashew milk. Sometimes add some brown sugar, but I'm going to try the Chia seeds, that sounds great! I agree with you Marv, to each his own. Now that the weather is getting colder, I sometimes heat up my cold overnight oats to just warm the next day. Otherwise, I prefer them cold.
  • brianmcaloon
    brianmcaloon Posts: 3 Member

Steel cut wouldn't work so well for overnight oats I imagine...but I love them hot. Great porridge like consistency.
  • Enjcg5
    Enjcg5 Posts: 389 Member
    marv_26 wrote: »
    nfkh5upuj1yn.png

This is one I make the night before and takes 5 minutes as no cooking required. if your up early, or generally in a rush in the mornings this is a right treat. It is a super food breakfast and is also slow releasing energy so it keeps you full for longer. Enjoy!!!!

Ingredients:
    1 cup of Oats
    1 teaspoon of chia seeds

Method:
    Mix all ingredients into a bowl, cover and leave overnight. I use mason jars like in the picture as it looks better for all you Instagram pests ;).

ADD ME FOR MORE RECIPES

Marv
    . Ballpark estimate with unsweetened almond milk? Sans the whey?

• Tretop76
    Tretop76 Posts: 256 Member
    It looks really good! Is there anyone else who eats oats and then you're really hungry about 2 hours later like your sugar is crashing? That's how I am.
  • SandraScala
    SandraScala Posts: 35 Member
    @brianmcaloon .. you would be surprised I use steel oats in my overnight oatmeal, all I can say is I love it!
  • chrissyr1974
    chrissyr1974 Posts: 1 Member
    what type of oats do you use? old fashioned oats or steel cut? I find that the steel cut are still too crunchy kind of stale crunchy. I hear that they are the best but really what is the difference?
  • Hollis100
    Hollis100 Posts: 1,408 Member
    marv_26 wrote: »
    nfkh5upuj1yn.png

Ingredients:
    1 cup of Oats
    1 teaspoon of chia seeds

Method:

ADD ME FOR MORE RECIPES

Marv

Looks delicious and easy. Definitely will try this one.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    edited September 2019

I prefer steel cut oats, and hot.
    Tried overnight oats, but For me it’s too mushy with regular oatmeal and steel cut don’t soften up enough for me. I just cook up a batch of steel cut on Sunday, portion it out in individual containers and freeze it.
    My favorite is with blueberries, toasted walnut pieces, chia seeds, cinnamon, and unsweetened almond milk. Or, sometimes I throw in a diced up apple. Reheat in the microwave.
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member

Yeah, this. Try selling that stuff in a grocery story. Most people are like, "Isn't it faster to just nuke it?" Yes. Yes, it is.