Boyfriends standards of weight?

Replies

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,959 Member
    have you tried defending yourself?
    if so what happens
    the only person who ever told me to lose weight was my nurse and that was annoying, but to be fair i was obese back then and blood pressure was high.

If I try to defend myself with anything else he tells me to stop debating and that he has more experience than what I do (because he is 3 years older than me). This is what he says with every single criticism and if I fight back he ignores me or tells me to *kitten* off. Beautiful, I know. The thing is that I recently found out that he has a couple of personality disorders which really explain everything to me but I feel bad about not understanding them.

This is controlling behavior. He is trying to make you accept his low assessment of you, so that you will feel like this is the way you deserve to be treated.

If you can't bring yourself to leave him, make every effort to maintain relationships with more supportive friends and family, so that you can see your true worth reflected in their eyes.

And if you still can't bring yourself to leave him, you need to learn to either (1) leave the room/house/whatever place you are when he says thing like this to you or (2) completely ignore and not respond to abusive comments about your weight, your intelligence, or anything else. Maybe use the time to silently recite a mantra like "What he's saying is not true. A person who loved me wouldn't treat me this way."
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    I know how you could get rid of 70 kilos over night.
  • lynn_glenmont
    Leaz947 wrote: »
    zorander6 wrote: »
    I'm going to argue that one:
    1. If he's already displaying this type of attitude telling him it hurts your feelings will most likely encourage it sadly. You've tried telling him this from what I've read. Once is more than enough.
    2. This may be dangerous, it may encourage him (doubtful) or he may become violent to prove his strength.
    3. Cheating on him sinks you to his level. If you are going to cheat leave.
    4. You will never meet his requirements, just leave.
    5. This one I can agree with fully. Also when you find someone better don't take out what this asshat did to you on them.

I would never cheat, I have seen the affects of cheating and I could never do that to anyone, no matter what the circumstances. Not only that but I don't think that I'm capable of trusting someone and getting close to them enough for that, I would also despise myself.
    Also, concerning number 5, I would never treat anyone this way, similar treatment has happened to me in the past but it was my parent not my partner and it made me become the complete opposite of them.
    Yes, telling him that he hurt my feelings encourages him sometimes but there are odd moments where I breakdown crying where he comforts me and cries himself and apologises, I don't get it..

Do you plan on having children yourself ever? If you can't bring yourself to leave this guy, think about what kind of father he would be. Do you want to subject your child to being treated the way your parent treated you? You say you would never treat anyone the way your partner treats you, but if you stick with this guy and have kids with him, you will be responsible for causing an innocent child with no way to escape to be treated that way.

Sorry if that seems harsh, but if you won't leave for yourself, do it for your future children.
  • butterflylady86
    butterflylady86 Posts: 369 Member
    Your story brings back bad memories for me. When I was younger and married. My ex husband made me feel horrible about my weight. Never allow someone else to determine your happiness. I wish you luck. Blessing to you
  • lynn_glenmont
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    OP I do commend you for coming back and having further discussions with people. You seem to know deep down what the right thing to do is. Yes, you are young, and this is your first serious relationship - but if you've been on your own since you were 15 then you are stronger than you realize.

Do you live with the boyfriend? Are you financially dependent on him in any way? Do you have a family or friends that you can rely on for support?

No, I don't rely on my boyfriend at the moment, however, he is a big part of my future, I had made plans with him to move to a different country and to apply to a university there, there I would be nearly completely dependent on him until I manage to get a job there. That university is the one that I dreamt of going to and he wanted to make it come true. Having said this now I'm slightly sceptical about going because of how things are now.

This sounds like more manipulation on his part to me, plus an attempt to make you completely isolated from any support system, which is what controlling abusive personalities do. I hate to advise you against an educational opportunity, but this just seems like a really dangerous way to get there.

Also, I never heard of moving to a country so you can apply to a university there. You apply to the university, and if you get in and can make the finances work, you go. Although you've been on your own since 15, are you still in high school, or did you get a GED? Even if you have a GED, I think in the U.S. at 18 you're still entitled to a free public education and the resources of a school. Maybe you could call the local high school and ask to speak to a counselor/college adviser. Explain your situation--not the boyfriend necessarily, just your current educational situation and aspirations, and ask whether it makes sense to go to a country to try to attend a university before you have applied and been admitted.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    OP I do commend you for coming back and having further discussions with people. You seem to know deep down what the right thing to do is. Yes, you are young, and this is your first serious relationship - but if you've been on your own since you were 15 then you are stronger than you realize.

Do you live with the boyfriend? Are you financially dependent on him in any way? Do you have a family or friends that you can rely on for support?

No, I don't rely on my boyfriend at the moment, however, he is a big part of my future, I had made plans with him to move to a different country and to apply to a university there, there I would be nearly completely dependent on him until I manage to get a job there. That university is the one that I dreamt of going to and he wanted to make it come true. Having said this now I'm slightly sceptical about going because of how things are now.

This sounds like more manipulation on his part to me, plus an attempt to make you completely isolated from any support system, which is what controlling abusive personalities do. I hate to advise you against an educational opportunity, but this just seems like a really dangerous way to get there.

Also, I never heard of moving to a country so you can apply to a university there. You apply to the university, and if you get in and can make the finances work, you go. Although you've been on your own since 15, are you still in high school, or did you get a GED? Even if you have a GED, I think in the U.S. at 18 you're still entitled to a free public education and the resources of a school. Maybe you could call the local high school and ask to speak to a counselor/college adviser. Explain your situation--not the boyfriend necessarily, just your current educational situation and aspirations, and ask whether it makes sense to go to a country to try to attend a university before you have applied and been admitted.

she could have graduated hs already. most graduate between 17/18,I also agree about applying to a university-you apply first then go if you get in. some even sooner. but that aside,OP I didnt read all the replies but leave this guy, if he cared so much he would treat you like a human and not degrade and put you down.sounds like this guy wants to get you out of the country so you will have to rely on him because you will know no one there and it will be harder to come back home. dont go!!! you dont know what kind of situation you may be getting into. never rely on another person either. you go to school wherever you want just apply first and see if you get in then work out the details and go there yourself without the extra abusive baggage
  • Meghanebk
    Meghanebk Posts: 321 Member
    Well, I see a real easy way to lose 70kg. He is showing way too many signs of sliding fast down the slippery slope to controlling and abusive. What if you get the body you want and it's "not enough" for him? Or "too much?" It's YOUR body. If you let him control it, you let him control the rest of you. Lose weight if YOU want, get SUPPORT (not haranguing criticism) from a safe source (hint - not him).
  • roamingtiger
    roamingtiger Posts: 747 Member
    Sweetie, you are in an abusive relationship with an abusive little *kitten*. There is no way to "fix" the situation except to pack up your stuff and leave. You can't fix someone like this, sorry, but there is no way. The only one who can fix his sorry *kitten* is him, and I'm going to go on a whim and say that he's not going to do that anytime soon.
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    my mother stayed with my father for reasons i'm not entirely clear on. they were blissfully happy at first, but by the time his abuse had become a constant and had started to get physical, she was a shadow of her former self part of the time. and my sister and i spent a couple years also being hit before she finally took us and left. unsurprisingly my first couple marriages were less than ideal, and in the second case i had to get out leaving my stuff behind.

OP, please - your BF isn't going to get better, but if you stay with him, you'll become less and less yourself and more and more just the person trying not to upset him. and if you want him to get better, and work through his emotional crap, you can't keep enabling him. as long as you do, he has no reason to change.

in the meantime, i recommend a book called "facing codependence" by pia melody and after that "codependent no more" by melody beatty. they literally changed my life.

there's nothing you can do to fix your BF. you CAN change yourself.

best of luck to you...
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Break up with him.
    Now.
  • MotivatedMenna1
    MotivatedMenna1 Posts: 25 Member
    Leaving him is the best and only solution. Sorry, can't help you anymore but your dignity and self worth should come first! :)
  • Baconismyreligion
    Baconismyreligion Posts: 14 Member
    When I met my BF I was 200lbs, and then I lost and was 121lbs....He never treated me ANY different. If your BF loves you, he would not put you down, period. My first husband belittled me and made me feel horrible (which only made me depressed and sad all the time) I stayed in that relationship for 12 years. When I finally had enough and left him, it was the BEST THING TO HAPPEN TO ME...Run girlfriend....don't look back. When you leave this situation and get a real man, one who encourages you and love you for who you are, your eyes will be open and you will finally see what a douche bag your current BF really was!!
  • km8907
    km8907 Posts: 3,861 Member
    Why would you ask for advice on a situation you are not willing to change? Your guy sounds like a real peach, my advice to you is to get used to being belittled and miserable. Then you can't complain.

This better not be Lexi...
  • Dannigreen31
    Dannigreen31 Posts: 557 Member
    Well if you won't leave a guy like that then you are gonna ha e to put up with it then !
    Don't complain then stay!
    He's going to ruin your confidence. I wouldn't give a man like that the time of day
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    I haven't read any responses but I can imagine what they say. OP you need to get out of there asap. No one, especially not a significant other should just you for your weight!