Going to the GYM when your 320 pounds :(

Hi I have been on this awesome form for 3 days now and seen some amazing story's , But what I what to know is what does it feel like going to the gym when your over weight I'll be starting on Monday next week , but i am all most to afraid to go because of my weight.

Is there much judgement in a gym ? will I get the looks ?
I feel very self conscious about this and was hoping you guys could give me the motivation i need to go .

Replies

• kmflatt
    kmflatt Posts: 1 Member
    I started going to the gym at 231 pounds. I also felt very self conscience, and was afraid to get "the looks". Every one there has been very friendly and supportive! We are all there for the same reason! Go, have fun with it, and don't give up!
  • dustman5889
    dustman5889 Posts: 6 Member
    at over 350lbs, I am in the same boat. Had been working out at home for about a month or so using P90 from Beachbody, lost about 10-12lbs but have been wanting to get to the gym and take my new found motivation to the next level but I cant seem to get myself to go because of not being comfortable in that space and not wanting to stick out and look like a fool.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Stef98632 wrote: »
    Don't worry about what others think. Anyone who shames someone trying to better their self is cruel. Do you, make sure you pay attention to your heart rate too. I pushed myself too hard when I was almost 300, my chest would hurt. I keep my heart rate in the 150-160s now

Agreed. I try to always stay under 160 HR. Occasional bursts that high are fine but overall I like to stay in the low 150's or high 140's for my target on cardio. Then again, someone much younger can go higher if they want. But someone out of shape likely shouldn't.
  • suwala2t
    suwala2t Posts: 16 Member
    Depends on the gym and depends on the people in there. I am pretty certain you will get looks but you can't let that tear down your confidence. Everyone starts somewhere. It takes a lot of guts to do what you're doing, but i think the hardest part will be going there in the first place. Once you're there, enjoy yourself, dont' worry about what others think, and do your thing.
  • JLG1986
    JLG1986 Posts: 211 Member
    edited November 2016
    You may feel like people are watching you...but they probably aren't (at least that's what I tell myself!). And if they are, think about the positive things they may be thinking about your bravery and dedication to becoming your best self! When I see someone my size or bigger working out I feel inspired. And I try new things..."hey look, she's not a skinny mini but she's doing that machine that I've told myself I'm too fat for! Guess I'd better try it too!"

I go to the YMCA, and it's a great atmosphere with a wide range of body types, ages, and fitness levels. I think that helps keep the atmosphere friendly and supportive.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Hard to say, I've been to many gyms for many years. Some can have lookers, some can have workers.

The point of going to the gym regardless is being in the "now" and tackling goals. If you want change now, you have to go now. I never met a person that regretted it that truly wanted change.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Everywhere you go in life there is judgement, short of never going outside you will run into jerks and you will run into people who are supportive of you taking steps to improve your health and fitness.

Don't let being self-conscious stop you from attaining your goals.
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    Honestly, when I am at a gym I am pretty focused on myself. If I do notice another person it's probably because I like their pants/shirt.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Shield45 wrote: »
    Is there much judgement in a gym ? will I get the looks ?

i'm not much of a judger. i take a people-watchy sort of interest in everyone, because you never know who you're going to learn from. most of the recreational judging i overhear in my rec centre is the over-excited 20-something guy crowd, all giddy on the delights of putting absent members of their own circle down.

• NinaSharp
    NinaSharp Posts: 101 Member
    I think people look more for others doing crazy things on the exercise equipment, than for what size you are. We are all there for the same reason.