Water Only Fast

I know we're told we need at least 1200 calories per day. However, a close relative will be doing a fast and I would like to join in solidarity.

It's 1 week, water all day, but can have one light meal in the evenings..

Would this be harmful to weighloss, short term?

Replies

• AFewLionCubs
    AFewLionCubs Posts: 22 Member
    She's doing so for religious reasons.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,488 Member
    VCLD? Unmonitored by a doctor? To what? Lose a few pounds? Are you obese or morbidly obese? Lacking the needed essentials per day isn't improving your optimal health.
    You want to lose weight? Be consistent and eat less than you burn MODERATELY.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • AFewLionCubs
    I just don't want her to be the odd one out.. I don't want it to backfire and make me gain what I've already lost, either..
  • ninerbuff
    I just don't want her to be the odd one out.. I don't want it to backfire and make me gain what I've already lost, either..
    Listen, if you embarked on all the wild things that people do to lose weight, you'll regain the weight you initially lost and more. TRUST how the actual system of losing weight works. Eat a little less than before, move a little more than before.
    If your friend wants to do this, it's on her.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • AFewLionCubs
    It's religious, not weight loss related.
  • ninerbuff
    Are you doing it for religious reasons? Meaning is it your religion?

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• AFewLionCubs
    No,

I have a friend, whom I work long hours with, that is doing a religious fast. She's had some hostility recently and I wanted to join her as a show of support.

I don't, however, want to back track on the progress I've already made by going off my current meal plan.. Before talking with her about it, I wanted to see if this was going to sabotage my efforts.
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    See Intermittent Fasting. Here's a good writeup of its effects....

https://intensivedietarymanagement.com/fasting-a-history-part-i/
  • JinjoJoey
    JinjoJoey Posts: 106 Member
    You certainly won't gain weight from it. Your body cannot gain anything if it's not getting anything.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    In the short term, probably not harmful. I've done fasting for religious reasons myself, with no harm done. However, be warned, it can be really HARD.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Just eat all your calories in that evening meal.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    edited November 2016
    No,

I have a friend, whom I work long hours with, that is doing a religious fast. She's had some hostility recently and I wanted to join her as a show of support.

I don't, however, want to back track on the progress I've already made by going off my current meal plan.. Before talking with her about it, I wanted to see if this was going to sabotage my efforts.

So why isn't the hostility being addressed instead. If she is doing nothing wrong why she being attacked. I don't understand the need to join her
  • withoutasaddle
    withoutasaddle Posts: 191 Member
    One week will be fine. Many people do water fasts (yours is not a water fast. Not even a fast- you're eating a meal a day) to 'jump start' 'cleanse' or 'whatever' to their metabolism and immune system and 100 other 'reasons'. It's just one week- you can't screw your metabolism or body up that much in one week. I think it's nice you'll support your family member this way :)
  • mylifeisbeautiful
    mylifeisbeautiful Posts: 292 Member
    Wow, I think the person above is being deliberately obtuse. Considering the rampant bigotry in this country right now, I think it's nice of you to want to show support. One week will not have a lasting effect on your body. Just make sure to eat lots of wholesome foods in the evening and try to avoid fried foods or anything hard on the digestion. Good luck to you and your colleague.
  • Misssynth
    Misssynth Posts: 179 Member
    As long as when you go back to eating normally you don't just jump into eating loads to make up for it then you should be fine, millions of people fast for periods of time over the world. The whole point of fasting is to help your mental strength when dealing with life, which will be super helpful when trying to beat cravings on your weight loss journey.
    I think showing solidarity with your friend, especially in times like these politically is a really great thing to do.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    I know we're told we need at least 1200 calories per day. However, a close relative will be doing a fast and I would like to join in solidarity.

It's 1 week, water all day, but can have one light meal in the evenings..

Would this be harmful to weighloss, short term?
    No,

So close relative or work friend is fasting for religious reasons? You personally have no religious motivation to fast? And you haven't talked to her about it?
    One week will not sabatoge your weight loss. You might be miserable and not feeling very well but if it is just 7 days you would probably be okay. You could consult your doctor to see if there are concerns specifically for you.
    If I were you I would just eat all your calories at night. If you are already in a deficit for weight loss your meal would be light for you.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member

in that case there must be lots of info in the community that observes this religion who could tell you, surely? there have to be dieters among them somewhere.