5'4 F 128 ...weight gain tips

2»

Replies

• brizzlar
    brizzlar Posts: 86 Member
    sardelsa wrote: »
    brizzlar wrote: »
    naj1991 wrote: »
    Im 5'4 female, weighing 128 I would like to be 140. I don't want to gain much muscle, but I have been having a hard time gaining. I use maca root and considering adding apedamin

Get into eating oats . Cheap, healthy and great for weight gain.

Oats are fine but keep in mind some people (like myself) may find them very filling.. so not so good for weight gain

So try getting them in powder form
    Bulk Nutrients have a protein/powdered oat option you can buy for ectomorph body types. I've found it helpful.
  • brizzlar
    brizzlar Posts: 86 Member
    psulemon wrote: »
    Im 5'4 female, weighing 128 I would like to be 140. I don't want to gain much muscle, but I have been having a hard time gaining. I use maca root and considering adding apedamin

Oats are fine but keep in mind some people (like myself) may find them very filling.. so not so good for weight gain

And they are definitely not high calories.

Really? I get 700 cals a morning from them... Should research them- I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member

So try getting them in powder form
    Bulk Nutrients have a protein/powdered oat option you can buy for ectomorph body types. I've found it helpful.

I would imagine it wouldn't be as filling as a powder. Though I much prefer pasta and veggies to get my carbs and fibre in. To each their own I guess!

• comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member

Agreed! I make my morning porridge with full fat milk and add flaxseed and pumpkin seeds and it's still only 400 calories. It also fills me up so much that often I don't want lunch.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,372 MFP Moderator

Really? I get 700 cals a morning from them... Should research them- I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Its not the oats that are high in calories but all the other stuff you put in it. 1 serving or 40g is about 130 calories. So the rest if other fillers. What do you put in yours?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,372 MFP Moderator

Agreed! I make my morning porridge with full fat milk and add flaxseed and pumpkin seeds and it's still only 400 calories. It also fills me up so much that often I don't want lunch.

Check out www.theproteinchef.co he has some good and higher calorie protein oatmeal options. Mine average around 500 to 600.
  • naj1991
    naj1991 Posts: 93 Member
    I'm going t9 buy boot vhc and heavy cream
  • Mini_Medic
    Mini_Medic Posts: 343 Member
    I'm sorry but I guess your build must be loads different than mine. I was very unhappy at 140 and I'm now 128, only one inch shorter. The other poster was correct though if thickness and curves is what your after, lift, train and move that body! Just gaining weight will likely not give you the desired look your after. You'll end up chunky if your not building a body and just adding to it with extra calories. To each their own though.
  • Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    edited March 2017
    Why exactly do you want to gain more weight (if it's not in muscle), when you're in a perfectly healthy weight range. I mean 140 is still in a healthy weight range, but I'm curious as to why you'd want to just add more body fat.

Some body types look better at a higher weight. I look really good at 140 and I'm also 5'4". I look thin and curvy. I'm not sure how I look at 128 and although my goal is actually 127lbs (so basically her weight lol) I'm not quite sure if I will like how I look so I might stop sooner or try to re-gain after I get there. To be honest, some people are here for vain reasons, not just health (and I'm one of those people).
  • Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    edited March 2017
    Mini_Medic wrote: »
    I'm sorry but I guess your build must be loads different than mine. I was very unhappy at 140 and I'm now 128, only one inch shorter. The other poster was correct though if thickness and curves is what your after, lift, train and move that body! Just gaining weight will likely not give you the desired look your after. You'll end up chunky if your not building a body and just adding to it with extra calories. To each their own though.

czz5fvzwyush.jpg

^ I'm 5'4" and I was over 140lbs there maybe over 150lbs and I felt really good. I needed more muscle definition, but I definitely felt "thin" despite my big thighs (which I actually liked). I was wearing 2 layers in that photo. Definitely frames can differ a lot. My goal right now is 127lbs but IDK how I'll look or feel. It might be too small for me. I was 135 when I was 13 years old and I was thin enough that I felt comfortable in shirts that showed my torso lol
  • naj1991
    Verity1111 wrote: »
    Mini_Medic wrote: »

czz5fvzwyush.jpg

^ I'm 5'4" and I was over 140lbs there maybe over 150lbs and I felt really good. I needed more muscle definition, but I definitely felt "thin" despite my big thighs (which I actually liked). I was wearing 2 layers in that photo. Definitely frames can differ a lot. My goal right now is 127lbs but IDK how I'll look or feel. It might be too small for me. I was 135 when I was 13 years old and I was thin enough that I felt comfortable in shirts that showed my torso lol

Exactly. I wear a small or extra small at 128. Im very tiny. Id like to be 140 so I can actually feel comfortable in my skin. Some ppl just look better with more weight. And you look great at that size! Goals.
  • tamikanna
    tamikanna Posts: 4 Member
    I'm assuming you want body fat to just come towards your glutes? I would try a surplus of calories (not junk food). Example of a meal for breakfast would be a shake I'd make. 1/2 cup of oats, 1 cup almond milk, 1 banana, 1 scoop protein shake, and 2 tbs pb2. That'd bring you to 577 calories. 77g carbs to start your morning and 35g protein.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    tamikanna wrote: »
    I'm assuming you want body fat to just come towards your glutes? I would try a surplus of calories (not junk food). Example of a meal for breakfast would be a shake I'd make. 1/2 cup of oats, 1 cup almond milk, 1 banana, 1 scoop protein shake, and 2 tbs pb2. That'd bring you to 577 calories. 77g carbs to start your morning and 35g protein.

you can't make your surplus go to your glutes....yes, you can run a program to target your glutes - like strong curves - but you can't make your surplus go where you want it to.

• tamikanna
    tamikanna Posts: 4 Member
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    tamikanna wrote: »

you can't make your surplus go to your glutes....yes, you can run a program to target your glutes - like strong curves - but you can't make your surplus go where you want it to.

I should've been more clear. She'd obviously need to run a program targeted for her glutes. If she is targeting legs every 3 days than yes she'd "gain" more muscle there than her upper body.
  • naj1991
    bumping this topic....update. I got up to 147 and loved it....trying to get back there... currently at 142
  • mayamission
    mayamission Posts: 15 Member
    feel u girl! i’m 5’6 and 105, feeling not so good in my body :( i’ve always been skinny but last couple of years got extra bony after some bad relationships. i’m brazilian so a lot of pressure here to have kardashian type thick thighs and big *kitten* which i know i’ll never have :((( body shaming is not just for fat people, and ppl honestly seem to think it’s ok to call u out on being “too skinny”. i’ve even had someone tell me i needed to eat while we were having sex :((( i’ve been wanting to put on some 15lbs but having an extra hard time!!
  • naj1991
    I feel you. I want to lose weight, but I'm 5'4, 133. The highest I ever get to is 136 and that is eating about 3,000-,4,000 calories per day. It is extremely difficult for me to stop that though. But anyway, I think I'd be hard pressed to put on an extra 10lb without actually exploding. If I were you I'd try going for pastas and things with extra rich sauces and candy bars and things like that. Pork rinds are a big portion of my calories right now because 14g is 80 cals, and so 90g is something like 560 calories but they're kind of like eating air; which is somehow addictive.

thank you! I have been eating alot of pasta and drinking a milkshake (heavycream and ice cream) for dessert. I hope to gain 5 pounds rather quickly.
  • naj1991
    feel u girl! i’m 5’6 and 105, feeling not so good in my body :( i’ve always been skinny but last couple of years got extra bony after some bad relationships. i’m brazilian so a lot of pressure here to have kardashian type thick thighs and big *kitten* which i know i’ll never have :((( body shaming is not just for fat people, and ppl honestly seem to think it’s ok to call u out on being “too skinny”. i’ve even had someone tell me i needed to eat while we were having sex :((( i’ve been wanting to put on some 15lbs but having an extra hard time!!

Hey there! I'm half afro Brazilian and half afro American so I understand your struggle. When i first started using my fitness pal in 2011 i was 5'4 and 110 pounds. I had the same issues with being body shamed and just not liking my body. I was about 20 years old, but when I really put in the work.... made sure I ate at least 3500 calories a day (drinking a good amount if i couldnt eat them) i really started gaining weight. I also lifted weights too. Ive gained 32 pounds thus far.

Also, dont skip dessert, ever and enjoy dont think about how people will judge you for eating alot. BUt in the meantime. LOVE the skin youre in.