Motivation to workout

I have been struggling for the longest time and have been working out barely anymore.

Anyone who used to have the same issue and how to change that?

Replies

• Cbestinme
    Cbestinme Posts: 397 Member
    Are you are struggling with lack of motivation to workout? What is definition of workout for you?

Are there things you like to do that you find fun that get you moving? Chasing or hitting balls? What did you like as a kid? Do you like those things still? Do you like walking or swimming? Roller skates? Roller blades? Ice skating? Dancing? There are ways to get moving if that is what you want. If you want to lift heavy things some folks on here could help guide you.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    you need to find a workout you are excited about doing, either because you actually enjoy working out or because you enjoy the results, what have you tried? try something new.
  • aliem
    aliem Posts: 326 Member
    I definitely go through spurts where I just can't work out. Even if I start, my body rejects and I give up. When this happens, I make sure that I at least go for a walk (something that I enjoy doing). If it's really cold/raining outside, I don't use that as an excuse. I pace around my living room in front of a TV. Also, I just got a gym membership. Knowing that I have to pay for it each month, definitely motivates me to not just waste my money.
  • Cbestinme
    Cbestinme Posts: 397 Member
    [quote="aliem;38161471"I pace around my living room in front of a TV.[/quote]

This is a great idea, I'll have to try this out instead of sitting lazily! Do you log pacing as walking?
  • Trish1c
    Trish1c Posts: 549 Member
    I simply ran out of hours in the day. My husband is away on business this week so I'm hoping that restarts my mojo. Also we walked 2.3 miles yesterday & it was tough. I know I'm supposed to go on a 5 mile hike over Christmas week so I have some catching up to do.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    I took a week off from running after a trail half marathon and it was brutal for me to get up and hit the streets this morning. I was glad I did after it was all over and done. It takes a couple of weeks for me but once I make it a habit I start craving the exercise. It the working up to that is difficult and it goes away quickly when I slack off.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    What is it exactly that you're doing? That might be part of the problem. I often see people doing (or trying to do) things that they don't really like, but they think they have to be doing it because they read it in a magazine or someone told them to be fit they need to do X...

Find something you enjoy doing...I love cycling so it really doesn't require a whole lot of motivation for me to get out there and ride...sure, there are days when I'm not feeling it, but for the most part I love it. I also feel like crap when I miss too many workouts...I miss the high.
  • ClaudiaKho13
    ClaudiaKho13 Posts: 229 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    What is it exactly that you're doing? That might be part of the problem. I often see people doing (or trying to do) things that they don't really like, but they think they have to be doing it because they read it in a magazine or someone told them to be fit they need to do X...

Find something you enjoy doing...I love cycling so it really doesn't require a whole lot of motivation for me to get out there and ride...sure, there are days when I'm not feeling it, but for the most part I love it. I also feel like crap when I miss too many workouts...I miss the high.

Now that you mention it, yes this is my problem. I meani enjoy the elliptical but I can't stand going atit for a long time. So i changed my workout plan to 20 mins of cardio and 2 sets of a couple strength workouts. Not a full hour but its a start
  • Arizona_C
    Arizona_C Posts: 1,476 Member
    A start is good! To add, you can either go little by little like +5minutes, or mix it with other exercises to break it up.

for instance 20" elliptical, strenght, 20" elliptical, strenght, 20" elleiptical.

I listen to music when I do cardio, makes me enjoy it way more. Try finding musci you like, radio programmes, something great to listen to

• Arizona_C wrote: »
    A start is good! To add, you can either go little by little like +5minutes, or mix it with other exercises to break it up.

for instance 20" elliptical, strenght, 20" elliptical, strenght, 20" elleiptical.

I listen to music when I do cardio, makes me enjoy it way more. Try finding musci you like, radio programmes, something great to listen to

This exactly.
    Music is great for keeping me going once i start working out.
    Make a good playlist and go for it. Ive had some pretty good jam sessions just putting on my music and dancing like no ones watching! Sweating at the end and having fun!

Also, if you prefer not to do elliptical for long periods, break it up ..it helps me to do that. When i really dont want to do cardio, i do like 10 minutes on the elliptical, then 10 on treadmill, 10 on bike.
    Maybe you can start with 10 or 15, then do some strength training, then maybe another 15 on a different machine.

Good luck and have fun
  • jwill472
    jwill472 Posts: 5 Member
    The best exercise is the one you'll do lol! Find something you like and stick with it. That way it will be something to look forward too instead of dred doing.