Reverse Diabetes?

Replies

• asrai50
    asrai50 Posts: 937 Member
    I think maybe if its early there can be some reversal...especially in the more "pre-diabetic" stages. For someone like me though...it will never reverse. I was diagnosed at the age of 15 and I was a "normal" active teenager. I gradually lost pancreatic function over the years until now I make only a trace of insulin. I use a pump so I dont mind taking insulin, I am quite used to it after all these years. Problem is I still have that stubborn insulin resistance to deal with that we all struggle with.
  • JaneKnoll1
    JaneKnoll1 Posts: 406 Member
    asrai50 wrote: »
    I think maybe if its early there can be some reversal...especially in the more "pre-diabetic" stages. For someone like me though...it will never reverse. I was diagnosed at the age of 15 and I was a "normal" active teenager. I gradually lost pancreatic function over the years until now I make only a trace of insulin. I use a pump so I dont mind taking insulin, I am quite used to it after all these years. Problem is I still have that stubborn insulin resistance to deal with that we all struggle with.
    Your attitude is amazing!!! Keep fighting to keep healthy! Glad you have a pump!!! You are the second person I have "met" that has that type of diabetes.
    I was full on diabetic (when I was diagnosed I was "sure" I was dying I felt so ill)
    Feeling great now and I believe life is what you make it...I hope you feel great too other than pancreas and resistance troubles!!!
  • asrai50
    Yes I am generally pretty good thanks :smile: Considering I have been diabetic from a young age I have no neuropathy and only a very mild retinopathy that is just being monitored in one eye. I am a firm believer that it isn't just bad eating habits that make a diabetic. Does it contribute? Certainly...but if it were completely true then every overweight person would be diabetic..and that isn't the case. I think genetics plays a large role (my mother, grandmother and sister...all diabetic) and people with metabolic and hormonal issues tend to have a higher incidence of diabetes. Just like so many women with PCOS end up with diabetes. Such a multi-casual disease that is often so misunderstood. Sort of like....did your fat make you diabetic, or did your diabetes make you fat? Things that make you go hmmmm :smiley:
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Jimb376mfp wrote: »
    I was told I was T2D in 1993 took the meds and tried to lose weight on off for next twenty years. I'm Jan 2013 I joined WW and started to exercise (water aerobics, swimming laps and walking). I have dropped -143# and my last A1C was 5.2. My Dr said I may be taken off all meds on my next visit it three months.

I guess I can CONTROL it if not cure it!

Better to diet/exercise to control my T2D and reap the benefits for all the other areas heart, cholesterol etc.

Success! Thanks for the inspiring story of your long journey.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    asrai50 wrote: »

I was diagnosed as pre-diabetic earlier this year. During a group lecture, this matter of reversing diabetes was mentioned, and I was really shocked. Had never heard of it before.

Nearly the end of the year, and with the help of MFP my condition has not slipped any further into full diabetes.
  • LinCharpentier
    LinCharpentier Posts: 1,129 Member
    A question does this dawn phenomenon or what they call a liver dump early morning ever stop. My morning readings are always above 10. And then before supper I'm seeing 6.1 and last night 5.8 so it goes down to normal during the day. Doctor wants me to bring down the morning reading. How do I do that?
  • jvcjim
    jvcjim Posts: 812 Member
    A question does this dawn phenomenon or what they call a liver dump early morning ever stop. My morning readings are always above 10. And then before supper I'm seeing 6.1 and last night 5.8 so it goes down to normal during the day. Doctor wants me to bring down the morning reading. How do I do that?

it takes some experimenting, as we are all different. for many limiting carbohydrates at dinner and having extra protein, like cheese, for an evening snack. but lowering all your carbs throughout the day helps as well.
  • asrai50
    Sometimes a snack of protein with some fat helps. Like a couple of whole wheat crackers with some no sugar added peanut butter, or a bit of cheese and nuts. Keeps your sugar a little steadier so your liver doesnt think it needs to give you such a boost to start your day. If you take metformin for insulin resistance, it could also help to take it later in the day instead of early in the morning. It is also important to know if you are having liver dump...or an actual Somogyi effect. There is a difference. The liver will normally dump glucose for everyone in the morning so you have energy to start your day. In a non-diabetic this is a good thing...for us...not so much. A Somogyi effect happens when you have lows during the night and your body dumps glucose trying to correct it. Unfortunately the only way to really check for this is to wake yourself up at intervals and test. If it is a Somogyi effect it may be a matter of adjusting your medications, although the snack will help that as well.

Good luck...may take a bit of tweaking around to see what works for you.
  • JaneKnoll1
    JaneKnoll1 Posts: 406 Member

Your liver will dump from detecting that you need food..i eat a serving of plain Greek yogurt and a small piece fruit like blueberries. You could eat some almonds or 1/2 PB sandwich If you can eat bread?
    The other thing is the timing of your snack. I tend to eat my snack later now because I was taken off Metformin and so I don't have that help to stop my liver dumping. When I was on it I had my snack around 9...now it's 10-10:30 for my best control.
    Eat a few less carbs at dinner...don't eliminate but maybe you stay high too long after carbs? Lastly have a little walk in the evening.
    Everyone is different so these may or may not work for you. Maybe ask your doctor what he thinks is solution if you can't get it down.
    Hope it helps!!
  • RalfLott
    @LinCharpentier,

Well, there are always different theories....

Some would say your liver dumps excess glycogen in your liver to get you ready to function when you wake up. In nondiabetics, this does not produce high blood glucose.

But if you're diabetic with high fasting blood glucose readings, chances are you're insulin resistant and, therefore, carbohydrate intolerant. This probably means you have plenty of food in your "onboard pantry," but can't get at it efficiently for fuel because your high insulin levels are making it hard for your body to access it. The way to address the locked cupboard problem is to reduce blood your glucose and allow your insulin levels to settle back down.

And since your BG is likely high due to carbohydrate consumption in the face of carb intolerance, why would you not reduce your carbs as far as you can, so you know if that works before you wind up on meds and more meds? Only by experimenting will you know what works for you.

I would suggest drastically reducing those carbs (not eating bread & fruit) - having some carbs may be like an alcoholic having just a few drinks... not really getting at the problem, but exacerbating it.

Here's a short vid by a British M.D. who became interested in low-carb management of diabetes as an alternative to drugs - but only after he saw the successes his patients had achieved on their own.

https://youtu.be/LUJE78Rm8Nc

• LinCharpentier
    LinCharpentier Posts: 1,129 Member
    Thank you Ralf I listened to the doctor and we all know it makes good sense. I just need to get my act in gear. If I feel the need for bread it's in the morning so I'm cutting back to one toast with a protein for morning.
    I know I can get this down. Went down yesterday but didn't touch bread at all.

Jane
    So shortage of blueberries here I pick them I froze about 30 bags I sell them. I have 19 bags left. I like them with whipped cream. Or a smoothie.

Thank you all for caring. Now I need to care for me.

See you all lighter
    Linda in the great white Northern Ontario
  • RalfLott
    Thank you Ralf I listened to the doctor and we all know it makes good sense. I just need to get my act in gear. If I feel the need for bread it's in the morning so I'm cutting back to one toast with a protein for morning.
    I know I can get this down. Went down yesterday but didn't touch bread at all.

Jane
    So shortage of blueberries here I pick them I froze about 30 bags I sell them. I have 19 bags left. I like them with whipped cream. Or a smoothie.

Thank you all for caring. Now I need to care for me.

See you all lighter
    Linda in the great white Northern Ontario

How's the battle going? ;)
  • booo32000
    booo32000 Posts: 6 Member
    both my parents are insulin dependant I am now on janumet. I'd like to lose weight and go off the meds but I am not sure that genes will keep me on meds :/
  • cwrig
    cwrig Posts: 190 Member
    shinycrazy wrote: »
    I personally don't think that it's a true reversal, just controlling it with diet/exercise. I guess if you can go back to eating a carb/calorie heavy diet and not have your A1C skyrocket, you might be cured. If you have to continue to watch what you eat to keep your numbers in check, I say that's diet controlled not reversed. I'm talking about Type 2 diabetes, BTW. Type 1 might be another thing completely, if a way to get the body to start producing its own insulin that would be amazing. My mother-in-law claims she had a friend that was able to get his diagnosis reversed, because after losing weight his numbers were normal. I feel like it would be a lot to get my doctor to reverse my diagnosis. She took over a year to finally give me the diagnosis, giving me time to get my *kitten* together (but didn't) So for me, I know that it wasn't just a single high A1c that led to it. I'm very very skeptical of anyone trying to sell something that says their program/book/diet can reverse diabetes. I'm sorry, this turned into a rant and probably isn't helpful. Good luck in your search!

Totally Agree with this. There may be a reversal based on lifestyle and diet, but it is not a cure for the reasons shincrazy explained so well.
  • cwrig
    I was diagnosed t2 diabetic in Feb 2015.... since March 2016, I've been off all diabetes medications as my A1C went from 10.3 to 4.8 with diet and exercise. When I eat carbs now my body does not respond the same way... I get normal blood sugar rise in response to the carbs and it comes back down in a normal time period. No one would be able to tell I'm diabetic without looking at my history. If I went back to eating like crap and put on weight I'm sure the diabetes would return, but I consider myself reversed t2 diabetic. I understand everyone's progression with diabetes is different and everyone's pancreas function is different, so I'm not sure everyone with t2 can reverse their condition, but I believe I did. I am even wondering if I was not truly diabetic and just insulin resistant due to my poor diet and being significantly obese. Also, I do eat less carbs than before (I ate tons and tons before), but I don't eat low carbs. I try to stay under 220g per day, sometimes a little over but my blood sugars still remain better than those without diabetes. I have lost ~90lbs to date with more plans to lose more.

Im late to the party but....

Wow; congratulations. I hope to do the same thing. This is inspiring.
  • RalfLott
    edited April 2017
    @cwrig - I don't really disagree, but does it matter whether you call it "controlling" or "reversing" your symptoms, if the lifestyle and dietary changes that did the job become permanent? (Of course, this sort of approach won't sell a ton of programs, supplements, or magic bracelets...)
  • cwrig
    RalfLott wrote: »
    @cwrig - I don't really disagree, but does it matter whether you call it "controlling" or "reversing" your symptoms, if the lifestyle and dietary changes that did the job become permanent? (Of course, this sort of approach won't sell a ton of programs, supplements, or magic bracelets...)

No, I have no problem with those terms.I agree. I have a problem with the term cure, as that is not true, but folks selling books use the term cure anyeay.
  • RalfLott
    cwrig wrote: »

No, I have no problem with those terms.I agree. I have a problem with the term cure, as that is not true, but folks selling books use the term cure anyway.

As in "The 12-hour Diabetes Cure,"perhaps? ;)
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    amclean1 wrote: »
    Hi I have been deep into the LCHF literature and now the Newcastle University study regarding the amazing results they had reversing diabetes. I also note that the group were awarded a massive grant ever given to follow up with further research. It all seems sound as a pound,. What I can't seem to see is loads of prediabetic and diabetics type 2 taking the eight week 800 cal program and reporting on the success or otherwise. Is this because MFP is so rigid that it won't let us discuss promising new research. It is quite clear to me that the guidelines on nutrition that we have all followed for the last 4 decades has so spectacularly failed us that it is time to open up the discussion and recognise that old mantras of 1200 Cal's just don't add up.

Sorry for the late reply - there's been some discussion lately of the Blood Sugar Solution and other very low calorie diet plans to combat Type 2 Diabetes. Despite clear evidence that the Newcastle approach is a serious, science-based approach to T2D, it does appear that, yes, the MFP goalie considers it to be health-endangering and unproven and has, therefore, closed at least some discussions on the topic.

GP's here in Newcastle are fully aware of the great results from the study and do apply them in practice,with regular monitoring.
    In my pre mfp days,docs at my gp diabetic surgery prescribed a 1000 cal a day programme that included a meal replacement protein shake.
    I lost over 20% of bodyweight,and reversed a full blown t2 condition into what the GP calls a diet controlled only pre-diabetic state.
    I also took part in a weight mai ntenance study at Newcastle university to monitor behaviours of those who had lost 5% + of bodyweight over a 12 month period,and lost another 10% in that period,combined with mfp and taking up running.
    In total i reduced from 125kg to a low of 70kg,
    Maintaining now at around 88kg(not running due to awaiting tendon surgery).
    Just had my annual check up,and still t2 clear and now only needing annual checks.
    It is possible to hugely reduce t2 diabetic effects thru diet and exercise,and become med free.
    Happy to answer any queries.