40+ Club : Where the Cool Kids Are

Replies

• tojo_73
    tojo_73 Posts: 213 Member
    edited November 2016
    @BettyM1017 Core Synergistics is good. It has been a while since I have done many of the P90X workouts but this one is nice and steady. Not particularly strenuous, compared to others as I recall, but not as easy as KenpoX. More pushups than I remembered though....:)
  • gam3rguy
    gam3rguy Posts: 3,773 Member
    "P90X2 X2 Yoga"=Done!
  • caramelgyrlk
    caramelgyrlk Posts: 1,112 Member
    Boot Camp Done. Happy Hump day everyone.
  • tojo_73
    AOS Providence done
  • agbmom556
    agbmom556 Posts: 694 Member
    Body Pump class finished
  • MJFSH
    MJFSH Posts: 7,252 Member
    Good evening, forgot to post earlier

Strength: Back, Biceps and Abs done

Cardio: nothing yet

Missed yesterday, so did yesterday lifting program today, and that took my cardio away
    Hopefully I can make it up on weekend
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Back and calves day. I love working my back!!! I was standing most of the day doing an event for work. Welcome to the new members!!!
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Circuit strength routine with trainer yesterday 1 min on/1 min off intervals - squats, pushups, lunges, shoulder presses, med ball slams, iron abs, etc. A bit sore this morning. Track work tonight is 16 x 400s.

Have a great day cool kids.
  • caramelgyrlk
    Happy Thursday everyone. Trained with trainer. Lots of squats, lunges, kettle ball swings, back and legs. Hope all of you have a great day.
  • caramelgyrlk
    Every Thanksgiving my gym does a 90 minute challenge of some sort. This year, it is a football boot camp challenge. For those of you that go to a gym, do you participate in a Thanksgiving challenge?
  • MJFSH
    Shortcut to size: Shoulders, Traps and Calves

where are all the cool kids? mmm gotten sidetracked by thanksgiving maybe?
  • gam3rguy
    "P90X2 X2 Recovery + Mobility"=Done! late start today.
  • gam3rguy
    "P90X2 P.A.P. Lower"=Done!
  • MJFSH
    Happy Friday!!!!

Strength: Legs and Abs! I am sure i'll have a six pack, by the end of this program!

Cardio: none yet
  • BettyM1017
    BettyM1017 Posts: 616 Member
    My son is trying to convince me that it's time for me to join a CrossFit gym. I'd love to hear about anyone's experience with CrossFit.
  • BettyM1017
    BettyM1017 Posts: 616 Member
    P90X Day 26: Core Synergistics...DONE!
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    I have lurked here for awhile - just reading mostly. I am 46. I homeschool(ed) our kids. Graduated one last year, have one graduating May 2017, and one that just started high school. I decided that 2016 I was going to focus on getting healthy. I have always put family and house first but I really wish I had been more balanced and not let my weight get out of hand. Somehow I managed to not gain weight until AFTER I had kids. A major injury 6yrs ago led to more weight gain. I started out Jan. 1 of this year wanting to lose 90#'s. I am almost down 20#. It has taken me FOREVER. I have such a long ways to go. Sometimes it feels daunting. Right now, I HAVE to workout first thing in the morning while my kids are still sleeping or it doesn't get done. I also joined our local gym because I find leaving the house guarantees I'll get my workout in. If I'm home there is too much to distract me. So this year, the first few hours of every day has been for my health.

I started lifting weights the first of Oct. and doing cardio afterwards. Doing the treadmill as hard as I was led to plantars fasciitis. :/ so now I'm only lifting until I can get my foot to heal. I love lifting weights so that is a help. Looking forward to visiting/following other 40 somethings. I'd really like to hit 50 where I want to be weight wise and with a good amount of muscle definition. I sure hope it doesn't take me that long to the lose 70 more pounds though!

I alternate lifting lower body, upper body and I do abs daily. I take Wednesdays off as a rest day and do the other 4 days during the week. I pretty much follow Bill Phillips Body for Life way of lifting. It worked really well for me when I was losing weight after being pregnant with each of my kids so I decided to go back to what I know. Although I've been reading on some of the other programs I've read about on here to see if I'd want to switch.
  • tojo_73
    AOS Providence done.

@BettyM1017. How did you like Core Syn?

WRT crossfit I did a couple of sessions with a couple of boxes and I think it comes down to the instructor. Some treat every session as a competition and you can see form breaking down badly which is a great way to get hurt. Others look to develop you in both form and progressive overload on weight (which doesnt mean easy by any means) and they run a once a month all out baseline session.

If you find a good box with good instructors (pretty low bar to open a box - exception exist I am sure but I think they should have some additional quals beyond the cross fit level 1 instructor) it can be great.

For me it was too expensive and restrictive on timing with my schedule although my local box has a great set of instructors. I also found that I would rather work out on my own than in a group :) . I have some good friends who have been doing it for years and love it and without question are fit and dont suffer from injury any more then friends who are gym rats.

You should be able to run a few drop in sessions before committing. Let us know how it goes.