Space

Replies

• kinkyslinky16
    kinkyslinky16 Posts: 1,470 Member
    cee134 wrote: »
    There is an awesome free program called Stellarium that gives a lot of info on star gazing. Plus you can put in your location and it shows you what you can see from where you are at any time.

Keep Looking Up
    ag5w1dottb00.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4zmsyNhTYY

Google Sky app does the same thing.. it's super awesome
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    I love that pic @Karb_Kween

I do too. Makes me wish even more I had pursued my dream of becoming an astronaut. I'm a scaredy cat loser.

I don't think I'd ever actually want to be in space. I'm sure it's amazing but all of the weird problems it causes your body is just scary to think about

I do think it would be very scary at times.. but oh so effing amazing. *sigh*
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member

That's cool.

The program I was talking about actually shows you what the sky looks like from wherever you are standing at what ever time you choose. Then it tells you about the consolations, paths, and celestial happenings. For example, if I want to know what that bright star is, or if it's a planet, then I can easily look up what I'm looking at.
  • kinkyslinky16

That's cool.

The program I was talking about actually shows you what the sky looks like from wherever you are standing at what ever time you choose. Then it tells you about the consolations, paths, and celestial happenings. For example, if I want to know what that bright star is, or if it's a planet, then I can easily look up what I'm looking at.

Yes, Google Sky does the same.. you aim your phone or tablet at whatever you are looking at and it tells you nearby constellations, planets, everything. I love it!! If you haven't tried it, download it and see if you like it.
  • cee134

That's cool.

Yes, Google Sky does the same.. you aim your phone or tablet at whatever you are looking at and it tells you nearby constellations, planets, everything. I love it!! If you haven't tried it, download it and see if you like it.

Ahhhhhh. One of those phone thingys.
  • kinkyslinky16

That's cool.

Ahhhhhh. One of those phone thingys.

I'm sure there's a desktop version of Google Sky Map for old folks. :D
  • RunHardBeStrong
    In this rare image taken on July 19, 2013, the wide-angle camera on NASA's Cassini spacecraft has captured Saturn's rings and our planet Earth and its moon in the same frame.

atyys24usgmu.jpg

Love it.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    I don't think I'd want to be in space. Too much pressure.

LOL!! See you're smart :wink: That was funny

I laughed too. Well played.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    but the costs are as astronomical as the place in the universe

Hehe I like that @Timshel_

I think it's definitely worth it to see what is out there. And even if they don't find anything they at least usually learn something that helps us understand how things work here compared to other planets and such.

The unfortunate world we live won't let us go to that Star Trek scientific society, so funding needs to be split between finding our place in the universe and protecting our place in the world. I fight with the costs because of basic humanity as well - feeding the hungry, educating everyone, etc.

I dunno.

• cee134
    I'm not really smart enough to comment here but what happened to the thread that this idea started on?

I'm not either. But I like to BELIEVE I am.

Read Cosmos (or watch it) that's the best first step, if you're interested.

I may or may not occasionally watch educational shows in between my "How to be Meaner to People on the Internet" shows...but I am neither going to confirm nor deny it.

I don't know if I like Space because of Star Wars or Star Wars because of Space. :smiley:
  • nukephysics
    nukephysics Posts: 406 Member
    I love that pic @Karb_Kween

I do too. Makes me wish even more I had pursued my dream of becoming an astronaut. I'm a scaredy cat loser.

I still regret not pursuing this dream. I may not have made the program, but I will never know now...