Going to the GYM when your 320 pounds :(

Replies

• buffalogal42
    buffalogal42 Posts: 374 Member
    I think it all depends on the gym. Mine is full of all ages, shapes, sizes and is one of the most friendly, non-judgmental places I could imagine! The only people I judge are the two new ladies who joined that talk supremely loudly about chocolate cake recipes while they ride the recumbent bike for only 5 minutes and shout out to each other how many "calories they got." Lol - seriously!
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Honestly, it depends on the gym. Your average "YMCA" type gym has all sorts of people, and frankly people are more concerned about their own workouts than you. You may be surprised how supportive people are!

Now, there are certain gym that cater to a specialized crowd... places that cater to "gym rats" -- extremely serious bodybuilders, boxers, martial artists and the like. There are also equally specialized studios populated by professional dancers, Pilates devotees, serious yogi practictoners, etc. This would not likely be the exercise locale for you, but these are usually obvious up front.

Also, think of this... do you not go to a hospital because you're not well enough to go to the doctor? Do you do up your hair before you go get your hair cut? No... because you are going to a place to look and feel better. If you don't go, you may never get to your goal.
  • SapphireMoon23
    SapphireMoon23 Posts: 139 Member
    I feel very self-conscious but i still go to LA Fitness. I do not feel judgement.
    Ur there for u, just do it!
    Be strong!
  • sweetilemon
    sweetilemon Posts: 122 Member
    I just plug in my headphones and zone out tbh! Now and again I get the patronising "good for you" "how often do you come?" comment's, I just smile and ask the same back. I've noticed the more regular I've gone the more accepted I seem to be. In all fairness I couldn't care less what everyone else thinks but nevermind.
  • nanknits
    nanknits Posts: 16 Member
    I started my weight loss at 374 Lbs. I was afraid to go to the gym and simply started walking around my neighborhood. It wasn't easy (the weight compounded by severe anemia) but soon it got easier and I pushed myself to walk further. I joined the gym (the YMCA) about a year later when I was down around 275 Lbs. I was terrified, but they had a "join free" campaign a couple months ago and I could use saving that money! I've been going to the Y pretty steadily since, trying out different classes and really tracking my progress using their ActivTrax program. It was the best thing I've done for myself. I'm not as far into my weight loss as I would like (down to 260ish now) but I can see a real difference in my body and what my body can do!

I can't say that I haven't gotten any of "those looks" but, by far, I've gotten more support than "those looks". Mostly though, people are focused on themselves and ignore what is going on around them (including me doing my workout). I don't know what other gyms are like, but at the Y here there are so many people there for different reasons and everyone has a different fitness level. Almost all the classes welcome "all levels" and the instructors are super friendly. They even have "SilverSneaker" classes for anyone who needs a little extra support or modification to do the activities. Everyone really wants to meet you at your fitness level and help to get you to where you want to be.

Best of luck on your journey!
  • bketchum1981
    bketchum1981 Posts: 130 Member
    Omg!! We have so much fun at our group fitness studio! All ages, all body types and mostly women but NOT exclusively! We laugh and drop naughty words but overall we want to motivate each other. The proof is we keep coming back for more and NONE of it is easy! Good ones are out there!!

The word "can't" will get you 10 push ups! So we tend to use the f-word instead. :)
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    It feels like taking control of your life again.

I started swimming again at 300 pounds. Nobody said anything to me one way or another and I did not die of embarrassment.

Just get yourself there and do what you can. Next time, do more.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,489 Member
    Had a client at 365lbs and in a year got him down to 265lbs without dieting. Just taught him how to use MFP and be consistent. Sometimes when you train with a trainer, it helps to take away any anxiety and you get direction on how to exercise correctly.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Sara1791
    Sara1791 Posts: 760 Member
    At 200 lbs I felt stared at & judged in dance & yoga classes but the people in the weight room were respectful & just plain nice.
    I got looks in the swimming pool just because the regulars are a little possessive but not for my weight. But really, no one was ever explicitly rude in any case.
    There were a lot of people bigger than I was & they seemed confident enough so these were probably just my own hang ups.
  • irtrail
    irtrail Posts: 18 Member
    Shield45 wrote: »
    Hi I have been on this awesome form for 3 days now and seen some amazing story's , But what I what to know is what does it feel like going to the gym when your over weight I'll be starting on Monday next week , but i am all most to afraid to go because of my weight.

Is there much judgement in a gym ? will I get the looks ?
    I feel very self conscious about this and was hoping you guys could give me the motivation i need to go .

Yes. There is judgment. Yes people will look down their nose at you. They will cringe at your deluge of sweat.

I have been there. 360 at my heaviest. Started the gym at 340 after Phentermine script ran out.

But guess what? People who do that crap to those who are at the gym to improve themselves are the same people who would make fun of a homeless guy filling out a job application. Basically, they are D-bags who's opinion doesn't amount to a hill of beans.

Go to the gym. Blast through a good workout and feel better. Better yet, do it wearing totally inappropriate clothes that beg for attention. I wear t-shirts that say something like "Stay back...I'm allergic to stupid" or "Caution: My awesomeness is contagious."

Basically, you're doing this for you...not the cover of Life Magazine or some guy with a stupid hipster beard and top knot. Your only competition is the person you were yesterday.

Rock on!
  • gabygeenius
    gabygeenius Posts: 8 Member
    Maybe someone else already mentioned this (I admit I didn't read every reply).

I have a friend who is also overweight and we've had this conversation many times.

I think judgemental people are everywhere. I was afraid of joining the gym for that same reason but I thought: "Hey, people will judging me while I'm at the supermarket as they will at the gym, at my work or everywhere". At least while you're at the gym you're kind of proving them wrong.

We also judge ourselves. But trust me, you'll soon start noticing your progress and that alone will get you going. Recently my trainer told one of my friends how proud he was at my improvement. That made my day...no, that comment made my whole month.

Just be constant. "Find what you love and let it kill you"...find an exercise you get to love and let it get you so tired but pumped for more.

Feel free to add me, anyone. I'm practically new here. (I'm sorry for any grammar mistakes. Not my native language).

• mariameats
    mariameats Posts: 16 Member
    I hate to say it but that feeling is always there, even when you get in shape. But if we're honest, really no one at the gym cares. They are too busy paying attention to themselves.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    People who judge are doing it from a place of their own insecurity, try to remember that when you feel it.
  • chunkytfg
    chunkytfg Posts: 339 Member
    Whenever I see posts like this I just think about an article I saw once.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2014/03/10/to-the-fatty-running-on-the-track_n_4935194.html

Just get in there. Learn to love it and ignore the world around you.

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    I think if the OP went to the gym they'd have been back and posted

I think this was one of those if I talk about it it will happen and then nothing happens posts because fixing inertia is really really difficult

The road to hell is paved with good intentions

When you're ready OP I hope you manage
  • crtok
    crtok Posts: 3 Member
    I've never seen somebody making fun out of someone. We all have our own issues. Don't bother...

• I think judgemental people are everywhere. I was afraid of joining the gym for that same reason but I thought: "Hey, people will judging me while I'm at the supermarket as they will at the gym, at my work or everywhere". At least while you're at the gym you're kind of proving them wrong.

Feel free to add me, anyone. I'm practically new here. (I'm sorry for any grammar mistakes. Not my native language).

This is insanely true. Also consider this. You mention the judgmental people at the grocery store. Well, they definitely judge in any situation where food is involved. But if people in a gym are going to judge someone who is making an effort, they deserve to be called out on it. Because how dare anyone sneer at a person who is trying. The fact is we all have our own story behind our extra rocket fuel we've stored. And that story may not be anyone's business. Have you decided whether or not to join a gym? I hope you do because that in itself is breaking through a wall.
  • gabygeenius
    gabygeenius Posts: 8 Member

This is insanely true. Also consider this. You mention the judgmental people at the grocery store. Well, they definitely judge in any situation where food is involved. But if people in a gym are going to judge someone who is making an effort, they deserve to be called out on it. Because how dare anyone sneer at a person who is trying. The fact is we all have our own story behind our extra rocket fuel we've stored. And that story may not be anyone's business. Have you decided whether or not to join a gym? I hope you do because that in itself is breaking through a wall.

True! I remember a time in my life I'd feel ashamed to eat in public (specially if whoever I was with didn't feel like eating...I didn't want to be the only one having a meal).

Judgmental people will judge everyone...even people who are in their normal weight. They'll always find what to talk about someone else: clothes, hairstyle, tattoos, voice, company, choices... ugh!

I hope OP finds the motivation to join a gym. I did 2 months ago (kickboxing and currently researching because I want to start weightlifting) and I love the person I'm becoming. Not only I've been losing weight...I've started gaining confidence, I found out I LOVE going to the gym (I feel awful if I miss a day...and honestly, I never thought I'd come to love it) The only regret I have is not starting earlier!

Btw, I love your username! Glad it wasn't taken. :wink:

• This is insanely true. Also consider this. You mention the judgmental people at the grocery store. Well, they definitely judge in any situation where food is involved. But if people in a gym are going to judge someone who is making an effort, they deserve to be called out on it. Because how dare anyone sneer at a person who is trying. The fact is we all have our own story behind our extra rocket fuel we've stored. And that story may not be anyone's business. Have you decided whether or not to join a gym? I hope you do because that in itself is breaking through a wall.

True! I remember a time in my life I'd feel ashamed to eat in public (specially if whoever I was with didn't feel like eating...I didn't want to be the only one having a meal).

Judgmental people will judge everyone...even people who are in their normal weight. They'll always find what to talk about someone else: clothes, hairstyle, tattoos, voice, company, choices... ugh!

I hope OP finds the motivation to join a gym. I did 2 months ago (kickboxing and currently researching because I want to start weightlifting) and I love the person I'm becoming. Not only I've been losing weight...I've started gaining confidence, I found out I LOVE going to the gym (I feel awful if I miss a day...and honestly, I never thought I'd come to love it) The only regret I have is not starting earlier!

Btw, I love your username! Glad it wasn't taken. :wink:

LOL! Thanks! I'm surprised it wasn't taken the way it was going!