Working out when your sick?

Tucker3306
Tucker3306 Posts: 54 Member
edited November 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
Do or don't? I don't have time for this! :#

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Ain't nobody got time for that. If it's just a head cold, sure, if you feel up to it. For a chest infection, probably not a good idea, since it could worsen into pneumonia. :+1:
  • Tucker3306
    Yep just nasty head cold. During the workouts I've felt awesome, but then :( misery!
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    Ain't nobody got time for that. If it's just a head cold, sure, if you feel up to it. For a chest infection, probably not a good idea, since it could worsen into pneumonia. :+1:

As long as you are not contaminating everyone in a public license gym ;)
  • Tucker3306
    Yeah a public gym has never been my thing. Always reminded me of why I hated High School and college! :D
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    I always exercise if its from the neck up, neck down I get plenty of rest.
  • almeyer2013
    almeyer2013 Posts: 5 Member
    Personally I like to get a workout in if I am sick (from a cold). I like to sweat it out!!! Also plenty of rest as well and fluids.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    I always fight with myself over this but I end up with nothing too strenuous is good - you really do want to have energy to go towards recovering. The good feeling while you are working out is a nice break from feeling crappy.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    i twisted a rib once by sneezing at just the wrong angle with super-tight traps. putting it right was expensive and really painful, and took much longer than it took me to get over the cold.

i stay home :p
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Personally I don't do anything strenuous if I'm ill at all, and I accept that my weight loss is going to stall for a week. You say "I don't have time for this" - what I don't have time for is a cold that drags on longer than it has to because my body had to fight it without proper rest, and possibly ends up in time off work. When I'm fighting a virus, I'm fighting a virus, that's my top priority and everything else can wait.
  • Kristi26
    Kristi26 Posts: 184 Member
    I typically do something lighter on days I'm not feeling well- Pilates or yoga.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Depends on the illness. I missed all last week due to some nasty virus. I felt awful and working out wasn't even on my radar.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,329 Member
    Not if you have fever, bronchitis or anything similar as you might end up with a heart muscle infection (myocarditis). The numbers for the heart being involved in a viral infection that I found are 1-5%. Thus stay at home, get healthy first. If you just have a bit of headache or a runny nose it should be fine.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    I always do some exercise if it's a sinus thing...it helps clear that junk out for a little while.
    But, as others have said...no if you have a fever or chest cold.