Why is it so easy to fail?!

rhannie8
rhannie8 Posts: 24 Member
I want to do OMAD. I'm about 5'3" and I'm over 200lbs and I really don't like myself right now. OMAD makes sense. It doesn't require special foods or anything. It's so easy! Just eat one meal a day! What could possibly go wrong?

In my life, it seems like once I decided to start OMAD, eeeeeverything started revolving around things that require calories!

I'm gonna start OMAD today. Oh, wait...there's a friend in town I haven't seen in 3 years and she wants to go eat and have drinks after I've already had my one meal.
I'm gonna start OMAD today. Then my mom guilts me into lunch with her and my aunt (who is here from out of town) and it's pizza!!! How can I say no to pepperoni and bacon?! Ugh...I really wanted to say no, but I would have felt rude...and sad...
I'm gonna start OMAD today. I had my one meal for lunch, and I was fine. Then my husband's cousin unexpectantly comes to visit and I feel rude not eating with them.
((I just noticed that a whole lotta people have been coming into town lately. Hmmm...))

I really need accountability help. My husband is one of those "You're not fat, honey, so why are you dieting?" husbands...while he can eat whatever he wants and still be a beanpole. But I AM fat. And I wish he were more supportive!
I've asked my family to keep me accountable, but they all tell me that it's unhealthy, so I'm on my own.

What can I do? I feel like it's so easy to fail...which sucks, because OMAD should be so easy to succeed with. :neutral:

It really stinks to have no support. Nobody else understands what I'm going through. At this point, I feel like it's almost impossible for me to lose weight.

Replies

• arguablysamson
    arguablysamson Posts: 1,706 Member
    edited November 2016
    rhannie8 wrote: »
    I want to do OMAD. I'm about 5'3" and I'm over 200lbs and I really don't like myself right now. OMAD makes sense. It doesn't require special foods or anything. It's so easy! Just eat one meal a day! What could possibly go wrong?

In my life, it seems like once I decided to start OMAD, eeeeeverything started revolving around things that require calories!

I'm gonna start OMAD today. Oh, wait...there's a friend in town I haven't seen in 3 years and she wants to go eat and have drinks after I've already had my one meal.
    I'm gonna start OMAD today. Then my mom guilts me into lunch with her and my aunt (who is here from out of town) and it's pizza!!! How can I say no to pepperoni and bacon?! Ugh...I really wanted to say no, but I would have felt rude...and sad...
    I'm gonna start OMAD today. I had my one meal for lunch, and I was fine. Then my husband's cousin unexpectantly comes to visit and I feel rude not eating with them.
    ((I just noticed that a whole lotta people have been coming into town lately. Hmmm...))

I really need accountability help. My husband is one of those "You're not fat, honey, so why are you dieting?" husbands...while he can eat whatever he wants and still be a beanpole. But I AM fat. And I wish he were more supportive!
    I've asked my family to keep me accountable, but they all tell me that it's unhealthy, so I'm on my own.

What can I do? I feel like it's so easy to fail...which sucks, because OMAD should be so easy to succeed with. :neutral:

It really stinks to have no support. Nobody else understands what I'm going through. At this point, I feel like it's almost impossible for me to lose weight.

Welcome!

It's so easy to fail because, unlike at any other time in history, there is WAY TOO MUCH FOOD available literally everywhere in the civilized world, my friend! :-)

Listen, the struggle you describe tells me this will be a BIG adjustment for you because you are a bonder by nature. Those social contracts are hard to break, but they must be broken or no progress will be made.

You can have what you want, but not right now. That's what you have to remind yourself of--and remind others (no relationship worth anything will judge you based on your eating their food later). Take food to go. You've got to do or you'll forever be a fat statistic.
  • rhannie8
    You're so right. One day at a time, I suppose. Or one hour at a time. I will do better tomorrow!!! :s
  • 1MADGIRL
    1MADGIRL Posts: 838 Member
    I think you should change your time to the time you would most likely be invited out for food. For instance, I eat only at dinner time because I eat with my boyfriend who would otherwise inform me how unhealthy I'm being by not eating. So in his eyes, I'm eating at the standard times (breakfast, lunch and dinner and snacking in between, just like they tell us... haha) whilst I'm just eating dinner! :)

If you usually eat lunch alone, forfeit lunch. It's easier to fast when you're alone!
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    1MADGIRL wrote: »
    I think you should change your time to the time you would most likely be invited out for food. For instance, I eat only at dinner time because I eat with my boyfriend who would otherwise inform me how unhealthy I'm being by not eating. So in his eyes, I'm eating at the standard times (breakfast, lunch and dinner and snacking in between, just like they tell us... haha) whilst I'm just eating dinner! :)

If you usually eat lunch alone, forfeit lunch. It's easier to fast when you're alone!

I do this also. It is easier to make a meal for the whole family at dinnertime when husband is home for work and son is home from school. Weekdays are easiest for me as I can ignore food that isn't right in front of me. The difficulty is on weekends when other people cook, eat out, snack or suggest food at varying times.
  • OMADing1
    OMADing1 Posts: 337 Member
    First and foremost, WELCOME!!!! We're soooo GLAD you're here!

LOVE the title of your thread, just love it--why? because it's such a "fact". Guess what? Facts are NOT the "truth", they really aren't, even though we've been trained and programmed ALL of our lives that they are. Facts are, this:
    1fe5725d9d52bb9bcd108e247ef2a5b0.jpg

AND THIS

af819532667e362b3052054f5be16207.jpg

Ya don't "believe me" about "facts vs. truth"? Look at your beloved hubby, he's sees that you're not "fat" (or "that fat" as many people will as a matter of "fact" tell us, and often). BUT look at what you see and know (and I agree with you, 200+ pounds at height of 5"2-5"3" is indeed fat...obese as a matter of "fact".
    obesity-chart.jpg

AND...if you search around the web, and even here on myfitnesspal, you will find a multitudes of "facts, scientific facts" that will prove otherwise, that you're not obese nor overweight, that being 200lbs at your height is normal or okay. See what I mean about "facts". The reason I'm writing these things to you, is because I want to help you and I want you to help me and others here on OMAD, and we can do this together, we REALLY can, but the first main and TRUE battle has GOT To start in y/our minds, our thinking. As we learn to change the way we think and the dreaded "feelings" we "allow" to be our master and are slaves of, BOOM! Here comes change, inwardly first and will automatically, seemlessly manifest itself outwardly, via us getting slimmer and trimmer on the outside.

Have you watched Joe's videos? I'm talking about "studying them"? If not, that the first course of action. Here's some that will help you tremendously:
    What I Learned About Success in Life From Intermittent Fasting
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9Elw-Z9Ers

Be a More Selfish Eater: On How to Eat Solo and Refuse Food
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mweKdSxgagE

Listen boo, you are sooooo NOT alone in this battle, period. This morning I awoke to the smell of coffee and cream (which I'm no longer drinking since OMAD) and two a HUGE box of dunkin donuts on the table. Also, the smell of bacon, sausages and more. As I type right now I see and smell pizza, that some of our children are having for lunch.

SO WHAT DOES THAT HAVE TO DO WITH ME? A big ole nothing, Why? Because it's not my eating time yet, I don't eat until between 5-9pm. If I want some of those things, I can have them, just not now. But ya know what? I'm not going to have any of those things--why? Because I don't want to, period. Why? Because I'm on a mission to not only get slimmer and trimmer in/on my body, but I'm also on a mission to no longer be a slave to my thoughts, and feelings and lack of self control--that's why. All this to say, you are so on your way to where you want to be, it's going to take some time, but you're not here by accident, and as you become active on the group here, you're going to be stronger and stronger and will accomplish your goals and then some. OMAD/fasting is not just going to help you "get down to size" so to speak, but is going to change your entire life and lifestyle from the inside out. I'm so excited for you {{{{{{{{{{ <3 Hugs o:) }}}}}}}}}
  • rhannie8
    You guys are sooooooo great! I'm glad I joined this group. Today has been a success...And I look forward to many, many more! Now...let me get to studying these videos. I've got a lot of mental work to do! :blush:
  • SavedByGrace26356
    SavedByGrace26356 Posts: 544 Member
    I'm so glad you are here. I accepted your friend request. It will get easier as time goes on. The mental part of this is amazing. You would never think that eating this way changes the way you feel and think. I'm looking forward to hearing about your journey.
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    edited November 2016

Howdy! Having a desire is the starting point I think. If you are in situations where you need to go out and eat with people, do the salad or something that is light.

I used to allow about a 1-day lunch/week with co-workers and that was about all I would allow. I think it is ok to socially eat lunch ONCE-IN-AWHILE. I did yesterday since we had an early office Thanksgiving lunch. That can't happen often though.

If you stick it out, you will lose weight, even if you have a few bumps on the way. Don't let one bad day get you down so that you won't try. We are in this for the long run so do your best each day and you will get there. OMAD has done wonders for me!

Some great advise above, "I can have it later, just not now" is the mantra we should all chant!
  • DebSozo
    blambo61 wrote: »

Howdy! Having a desire is the starting point I think. If you are in situations where you need to go out and eat with people, do the salad or something that is light.

I used to allow about a 1-day lunch/week with co-workers and that was about all I would allow. I think it is ok to socially eat lunch ONCE-IN-AWHILE. I did yesterday since we had an early office Thanksgiving lunch. That can't happen often though.

If you stick it out, you will lose weight, even if you have a few bumps on the way. Don't let one bad day get you down so that you won't try. We are in this for the long run so do your best each day and you will get there. OMAD has done wonders for me!

Some great advise above, "I can have it later, just not now" is the mantra we should all chant!

Bob, you and the others really help me when you post how you overcome challenges.

Yesterday I went to my son's soccer game, and they had pizza afterward. There was an invitation to the parents to join in. Instead I went over to one of the moms who wasn't eating and told her she looked really fit.

She started talking about how her trainer said she was overweight by 2 BMI points. I asked her what her BMI is and she said BMI 23. I laughed and said, "You are not overweight. You are normal BMI." She was very relieved.

I told her about MFP and how to find her TDEE, which was 1,900 calories and explained that she just needed to drop 250 calories to lose 0.5 pound a week. She didn't know this.

I wish someone had told me this when I was younger. I remember thinking that I was "fat" when I had a BMI of 22. I had no idea I was in normal BMI.

Anyhow, back to the pizza story-- So I made it through without eating any pizza!

• blambo61
    edited November 2016
    Did you grab a piece for the road?:) That only works if we don't eat it sooner than we planned though so it sometimes can be dangerous to take it for the road too!
  • SavedByGrace26356
    edited November 2016
    You guys are sooooooo great! I'm glad I joined this group. Today has been a success...And I look forward to many, many more! Now...let me get to studying these videos. I've got a lot of mental work to do! :blush:

Rhannie: How are you doing? Aren't Joe's videos great! If you need any help let us know.
  • SavedByGrace26356
    Deb...turning down pizza must have been hard to do but YOU DID IT!!!! Yeah!!! I'm proud of you!
  • DebSozo

How are you doing? It is very difficult with all of the surprises and things involving food coming at you at various times of the day. It would be great to get your family's support. Sorry to hear that your husband isn't helping either.

Keep posting on the OMAD threads and sort these things out. At some juncture there has to be a turning point for your success. You can do this!
  • rhannie8
    I think that weekends are going to be the hardest part of this...but it seems that planning ahead DEFINITELY helps a lot. I think I've watched all of the videos on the internet about OMAD
  • SavedByGrace26356
    I think that weekends are going to be the hardest part of this...but it seems that planning ahead DEFINITELY helps a lot. I think I've watched all of the videos on the internet about OMAD

We are all rooting for your rhannie8. Planning is a big part of it but guess what you only have to plan one meal. Keep a lot of calorie free beverages, tea, and water around and drink, drink, drink. You can do this honey!
  • blambo61
    Weekends can be harder. Keep really busy and get outside if you can too and it will be less tempting.
  • SavedByGrace26356
    I agree with Bob...get out and walk, go to the park and read, go to the mall and sip an iced tea as you people watch...it's fun especially through the holidays. I always get my shopping done early and then sit back and watch everyone go crazy trying to get their shopping done. It's quite entertaining to watch. Find things to do with your hands....I sew, crochet, decorate my home, paint, etc. Find things you enjoy doing and do them.
  • OMADing1
    OMADing1 Posts: 337 Member

YAY you, watching those videos...wow, that's proving to yourself that you are no longer playing with this mess. You ROCK, period. KEEP posting here, be active...the more to help others, you'll help yourself too!
    150f6ebb386b5f2c3ec1b2019ece98c3.gif
  • SavedByGrace26356
    OMADing1 wrote: »

YAY you, watching those videos...wow, that's proving to yourself that you are no longer playing with this mess. You ROCK, period. KEEP posting here, be active...the more to help others, you'll help yourself too!
    150f6ebb386b5f2c3ec1b2019ece98c3.gif

GREAT advice!
  • 1MADGIRL
    1MADGIRL Posts: 838 Member
    newmeadow wrote: »
    We are all rooting for your rhannie8.

Yes we are.

Agree!