Going to the GYM when your 320 pounds :(

Options

Replies

• shellyld2016
    shellyld2016 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter what anyone else thinks about you. What does matter is the fact that you are doing something about how you feel about yourself and taking charge of your health! So hold your head up and be proud of making great choices. Go in, sweat, and get your shine on!
  • Fit4LifeAR
    Fit4LifeAR Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I started at the gym when I was 260 pounds. I started jogging on the treadmill in the cardio cinema because I was embarrassed that I could only jog for 30 seconds. Five years later, I have been hooked ever since. Once I hit my first mile, I started working out in the main room and never looked back. Even now, I am recovering from knee replacement surgery and I am embarrassed I still have a slight limp and can only do a limited amount of work. Five months from my surgery and today I did weighted squats on the smith machine, for the first time since I got my new knee. It was the best feeling and reminded me of how much I missed the feeling of a hard workout. At 36 years old, the gym has been the most therapeutic thing I've ever done.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    Dress up as a superhero. Inattentive blindness kicks in and they won't see you.
  • KathyApplebaum
    KathyApplebaum Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    The only people I judge at the gym are people who don't re-rack their weights. :) Honestly, most people are so busy doing their own thing that they aren't thinking about you. If they have time to judge you, they aren't working out as hard as they should. ;-)
  • jolive7
    jolive7 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I saw someone your size in the gym yesterday who I had never seen before, and I saw her get a hi5! Definitely no judgement other than that she was gettin it!

PS I get judged for wearing bright pink tights and a lifting belt at the platforms, I have even had guys tell me I needed to swap them for the "girly training bar" still love the look on the douches faces when I can pull over 260 pounds off the ground :-D you just gotta do your thang and forget about them
  • Shield45
    Shield45 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    u guys have given me the motivation to go to the gym soon
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Shield45 wrote: »

You started this thread 2 weeks ago

You're going to have take a deep breath and just do it if you want to

Anticipation is worse than reality

So get up and go now!
  • littlechiaseed
    littlechiaseed Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I'm a woman. People are always checking me out at the gym. It's sick. Just ignore it. People sometimes have a staring problem, it's not your problem it's theirs
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I'm a woman. People are always checking me out at the gym. It's sick. Just ignore it. People sometimes have a staring problem, it's not your problem it's theirs

They are most likely not checking you out

It's not cos you're a woman

It's cos you're in a gym

People space and look in the gym

It's actually your perception that needs fixing
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options

how do you know they are checking you out? Are you checking them out, too?

Honestly, when you go to the gym, you are in a big room full of people. There are only so many places you can look without looking at other people. I look at people all the time, they look at me, it's no big deal... occasionally, you give the little head nod or something to acknowledge them.

unless they are winking at you or doing some other stupid, obvious come on, I'd say they are just looking around...
  • alyangel123
    alyangel123 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Weight is not a reason to judge since it's not a way to judge fitness and everyone started where you are, so if anything people at the gym understand you more than other ppl. Because they have the same goals and desires as you. Not everyone wants to be fit, some ppl don't care and you can be fit at any weight, people in the gym know this more than those who never worked on that. So if anything they'd be less judgemental than the general public
  • mommarnurse
    mommarnurse Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    The gym is not a competition; the only competition is with yourself. Screw everyone else.
  • Ws2016
    Ws2016 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I think you will be judged - positively.
  • brocktice
    brocktice Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about it. Make sure you learn gym etiquette (wiping down machines, putting weights away, etc) as that's much more likely to get you scorned.
  • cosmonew
    cosmonew Posts: 514 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    What is awesome is to keep going back...seeing progress in yourself and others and getting cheered along the way. I NEVER judge anyone at the gym...unless they are doing something nasty...like not wiping down the equipment after they sweat all over it...gross. Get there...don't wait!
  • Thehardmakesitworthit
    Options
    I commented before but I hope you are holding your head high and doin what you need to do for you!!!
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    brocktice wrote: »
    Don't worry about it. Make sure you learn gym etiquette (wiping down machines, putting weights away, etc) as that's much more likely to get you scorned.

Exactly.

The big, out of shape person working their butt off to better themselves? "Good for you!"

The in-shape person who walks away and leaves the bar loaded with plates and a puddle of sweat on the bench? "You're an a-hole and a slob."
  • froggysfriend
    froggysfriend Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    If anyone looks, think to yourself "that person admires me for being here", because quite likely they actually do!
  • michael1976_ca
    michael1976_ca Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    You will be fine. I admire anyone going to the gym. It show's you care about your self. Soon you will be taking classes and living at the gym
  • gabygeenius
    gabygeenius Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Shield45 wrote: »

So did you go? How did you feel? Please keep us updated!