Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

May we talk about set points?

1101112131416»

Replies

• cocates
    cocates Posts: 360 Member
    I find there is some legitmacy in 'set points'.

From the URL OP provided, the opening statement says, "Your body weight set point is the number on the scale your weight normally hovers around, give or take a few pounds." It doesn't say your body normally hovers around that weight if you are trying to gain or trying to lose.

Having said that, I have used the 'set point' theory as a crutch a long time ago instead of taking responsibility and ownership of eating >CI than CO. :naughty:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,489 Member
    Set points are what people who DON'T do the things they need to to address their weight problems, a justification of why they are at where they are. Everyone has the ability to lose/gain/maintain weight. It's IF they are willing to do it that's the issue.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • gionrogado
    gionrogado Posts: 45 Member
    i had been 70kg in my mid 20s, 80kg for the most of my adult life, peaked at 90kg, now maintaining just at 65kg. where's the set point in that?
  • schzoidman
    schzoidman Posts: 4 Member
    I know very little about set point theory. But just thinking about exercising and burning calories. A person who weights 200 lbs. and walks a mile will burn more calories than the person who weighs 150. So as you lose weight, you have to walk further to burn the same number of calories. Either that or carry a backpack with the weight difference in it. That could contribute to the set point effect.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,489 Member
    schzoidman wrote: »
    I know very little about set point theory. But just thinking about exercising and burning calories. A person who weights 200 lbs. and walks a mile will burn more calories than the person who weighs 150. So as you lose weight, you have to walk further to burn the same number of calories. Either that or carry a backpack with the weight difference in it. That could contribute to the set point effect.
    Why would you have to burn more calories UNLESS you were eating more than you needed to at 150lbs. A smaller person needs less calories than someone bigger for maintenance. IF the goal was to continue to burn the same amount of calories all the time then yes that person would have to walk more, but to maintain they would need to eat back calories or they'd keep losing weight.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png