Hello - Working to be 1/2 my size again 12 years later.

CharlesScott78
CharlesScott78 Posts: 203 Member
edited November 2016 in Introduce Yourself
From the time I was 7 or 8 years old, I had a problem with my weight. I ate too much and exercised too little. Ok, make that exercised not at all.

I tried every diet on and off for 30 years or so. I would lose 70 or 80 pounds, gain it back, lose 100 pounds, gain it back, but I never got to a “normal” weight. Back in 2004, when my daughter was five years old, I thought about the health problems I was facing. I had back pain, arthritis in my knees, high blood pressure…and I realized that he had to do something to get healthy or my daughter would grow up without a dad. I didn’t think he could lose the weight on my own and assumed he would need to undergo gastric bypass surgery. At 6’ 2”, I weighed 562.3 lbs.
7uptfpvq40km.jpg
Me at 562.3 - 2003
aogqo1bc9bxl.jpg

I researched the risks of surgery and decided I would do that if I had to, but I also realized that I wanted to give it one more try on my own. About that time, I saw an article about a program at the Methodist Hospital and got started on their medically supervised fasting program. I followed the 12-week liquid diet (VLCD) under strict medical supervision, and lost about 65 or 70 pounds.
Although I could have continued the program fasting, I knew that I had to learn to lose weight and control food intake on my own. I started working out after those first 12 weeks once I was off the medical fasting program. I joined a gym and began swimming and jogging in the pool. Water took the pressure of the weight off of my knees, allowing me to do things I wouldn’t have been able to do out of the water. I realized that I did not really know much about exercise fitness, but I really could not afford to hire a trainer to teach him. Charles got down to about 360 pounds when I met Austin Davis.

Austin had gone to talk to the weight management group at Methodist in which Charles participated. When Austin asked him how much I lost, I said that I had lost 200 pounds. Austin attempted to clarify my question, asking Charles, “How much have you lost, not how much do you weigh.” He could not believe I had lost 200 lbs. We talked that day, and Austin told me that he didn’t want to be my trainer, but he would be my workout partner. I got down to 210 lbs. and was in the best shape of my life. Austin and I were picked as Houston’s Ultimate workout partners in 2006. http://www.chron.com/entertainment/article/Workout-partners-1891580.php I was even in the Half Their Size issue of People Magazine in 2006. http://people.com/celebrity/they-lost-half-their-size-2/charles-scott/ I was also in the 2012 People Magazine as part of those who had managed to keep it off. By 2012 when they did the People photo shoot, I had gained back to about 240. That was not too bad for a 53-year-old computer guy. I managed to keep the weight off for about 6 or 7 years.

ct8viucz4kul.jpg
Before and after - Total lost 354 lbs. Dec. 2006
70uwy726zubp.jpg
2006 People Photo Shoot

Starting about that time, life got really stressful. I slowly stopped doing the things that let me keep my fitness. My trips to the gym got less and less frequent. I changed jobs and was no longer close to where my workout partner Austin lived. I stopped logging my food. I imagine it is a familiar story. As I gained weight again over the last 3 years, I was too embarrassed to get help. I would try to lose weight, but I just could not get my head in the right place.

Finally, in late October, I was back up over 400 lbs. 405.5 to be exact. Man, I never thought I would be that heavy again. Being super obese almost killed me in my 40's, it was sure as hell going to kill me in my 50's. I finally got it though my head that ego was a stupid reason to die. :smile: I went back to the Methodist program and I have lost 35.4 lbs. so far. I will be on the medically supervised fasting (VLCD) for another 10 weeks or so. Then back to eating clean, working out and staying focused on what is so important. My health and fitness.

Here is a current side photo - 405.5 - 370.1 - 35.4 lbs lost.
d9rc1t6a6zfr.jpg

Thanks for reading that opus. :wink:

I will be posting regular photo updates as it helps keep me accountable. I have to say, I was my using myfitnesspal the first time - but I love this site. It is awesome.

Charles ~ Houston, TX
48440878.png

Replies

• CharlesScott78
    Anyone looking to lose 100 + pounds I would love to have some friends on the journey. Thanks
  • raizelchaya
    raizelchaya Posts: 54 Member
    I don't have that much to lose but I was inspired by your story. Looking for supportive friends is important. I am planning to be on here for a long time. Many people stay here when they hit Maintenance because that is part of the journey. My advise to you would be to have an open food diary and look for others who also do. You can learn from other people's food choices and get support from others who can see your food choices. Much success here!
  • CharlesScott78
    Thanks for the reply. I really love the site and the community. Looking forward to learning from and helping others
  • Laurie6578
    Laurie6578 Posts: 154 Member
    Good for you for taking back control. I too am on a long journey. It's worth the hard work!!!

• roms78
    roms78 Posts: 16 Member
    I am on a journey to lost 70lbs, lets motivate and keep track
  • lisabinco
    lisabinco Posts: 1,016 Member
    I'm inspired by your story. Thank you for sharing. I was kicking myself for gaining back some of the 50+ pounds I lost 4 years ago. You are right, it's foolish to waste time wringing my hands. This is totally do-able. I'm doing it. Thanks for your insights about what many of us face.
  • CharlesScott78
    Thanks everyone for the posts and friends invites. Looking forward to the motivation
  • barbara6120
    barbara6120 Posts: 1 Member
    Anyone looking to lose 100 + pounds I would love to have some friends on the journey. Thanks
    I would love to share some tips on the best way to burn those calories and lose that weight, I am looking at losing 3 stone

• CharlesScott78
    I would love to share some tips on the best way to burn those calories and lose that weight, I am looking at losing 3 stone

Thanks for the reply. Hope to connect with more people on the journey. I am glad to help anyone I can and would love to get motivation and tips as well.
  • TwoBoyzDad
    TwoBoyzDad Posts: 2 Member
    Feel free to add me, I have around 100 lbs to lose.
  • CharlesScott78
    TwoBoyzDad wrote: »
    Feel free to add me, I have around 100 lbs to lose.

I will! Thanks
  • CharlesScott78
    If there are any new people joining with a good bit of weight to lose - feel free to add me as a friend. The road to fitness is always better with company. :smiley:

48440878.png
  • jvcjim
    jvcjim Posts: 812 Member
    Working to go from 593 to 250 or so... down to 471 now, 60 pounds of that since joining MFP unlike you i waited until i was 50 to start. when i saw your first picture i said "who put that photo of me out there"
    there are a few groups of people on the quest:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/115768-losing-100-pounds-naturally-no-surgery
    and
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/115006-weight-watchers-200-group
    the "weight watcher's" group is not limited to just their members which is good because i am not one. Trying to do it all CICO and simple exercises that i can manage, mainly walking and low impact aerobics.

enjoy the trip!
  • CharlesScott78
    jvcjim wrote: »
    Working to go from 593 to 250 or so... down to 471 now, 60 pounds of that since joining MFP unlike you i waited until i was 50 to start. when i saw your first picture i said "who put that photo of me out there"
    there are a few groups of people on the quest:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/115768-losing-100-pounds-naturally-no-surgery
    and
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/115006-weight-watchers-200-group
    the "weight watcher's" group is not limited to just their members which is good because i am not one. Trying to do it all CICO and simple exercises that i can manage, mainly walking and low impact aerobics.

enjoy the trip!

Thanks! I will check out that group. I sent you a friends request as well.