Can anyone tell me ...

Why having dry skin is not good for diabetics? I get the whole, watch your feet, especially if you can't feel them.
And I understand that diabetics may take longer to heal. I just don't understand the dry skin.

Replies

• jvcjim
    jvcjim Posts: 812 Member
    Dry skin for me leading to itching and scratching which can draw small amounts of blood and open the area for infection. I sometimes get dry cracked and bleeding hands when working with strong solvents to remove oil and grease and they take forever to heal.

here is the ada link for it diabetes.org/living-with-diabetes/complications/skin-complications.html
  • judyvalentine512
    judyvalentine512 Posts: 927 Member
    Thanks Jvc.
    My hands get cracked and bleeding in the winter.
  • jvcjim
    cashmere lined gloves and on really cold days mittens on top of the gloves. and a good lotion, i usually use aveeno it works for me YMMV.
  • judyvalentine512
    jvcjcooper wrote: »
    cashmere lined gloves and on really cold days mittens on top of the gloves. and a good lotion, i usually use aveeno it works for me YMMV.

Cashmere lined mittens would be nice. I don't like gloves. What does YMMV mean?
  • zcb94
    zcb94 Posts: 3,679 Member

Your Mileage May Vary. Basically, "I am not a guru but this helped me. You are the expert on you. Everyone is different. You're welcome to try what I did but please don't hurt me if it doesn't work for you!"
  • jvcjim
    zcb94 wrote: »
    Your Mileage May Vary. Basically, "I am not a guru but this helped me. You are the expert on you. Everyone is different. You're welcome to try what I did but please don't hurt me if it doesn't work for you!"

exactly, especially the don't hurt me part :)
  • jvcjim

Mittens are meant to be worn over gloves. When i used to go out hunting i wore gloves with the trigger finger cut off and mittens were needed.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    I thought dry skin just came with the territory, so I make an effort to do the best I can to not be dry ;)

Though I've learned my lesson about buying anything labeled for diabetics, I really like Gold Bond's diabetic formula.
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    edited December 2016
    Diabetics tend to have dry skin because we tend to be more dehydrated than non-diabetics due to the associated increased fluid loss that occurs as our bodies try to bring our blood glucose down. The dry skin is dangerous because as diabetics our wounds heal slower and it can lead to things like infections and skin ulcers that don't heal, which can in turn result in amputations. Poor circulation because our blood vessels aren't as strong also contributes to this issue.

Dry skin in your feet is particularly important to avoid as hard patches of skin can lose sensitivity (in addition to the potential loss of sensitivity that comes with diabetic nerve damage) and you'll be at risk of having open wounds and not even knowing.

Take good care of your skin and drink lots of water :)
  • judyvalentine512
    Diabetics tend to have dry skin because we tend to be more dehydrated than non-diabetics due to the associated increased fluid loss that occurs as our bodies try to bring our blood glucose down. The dry skin is dangerous because as diabetics our wounds heal slower and it can lead to things like infections and skin ulcers that don't heal, which can in turn result in amputations. Poor circulation because our blood vessels aren't as strong also contributes to this issue.

Dry skin in your feet is particularly important to avoid as hard patches of skin can lose sensitivity (in addition to the potential loss of sensitivity that comes with diabetic nerve damage) and you'll be at risk of having open wounds and not even knowing.

Take good care of your skin and drink lots of water :)

That was very informative. Thank you so much. Must get more water intake and some skin creams.