Question for the ladies

MKknits
MKknits Posts: 184 Member
edited November 2016 in Social Groups
I haven't been on keto too long so this is my first PMS week on keto and the cravings and absolute desire to eat - specifically extra pepperoni pizza, carrot cake and chips with dip is insane. I've never experienced cravings this strong. I'm making pizza in a mug for supper (mozzarella cheese, sugar free pizza sauce, pepperoni and sausage layered in a mug) to see if I can satisfy the pizza craving. I'm also hungrier (which always happens) so my stomach does get all grumbly and I've been earing more keto snacks. On top of mother nature helping me out this is also parent teacher week so my days are really long and the break room (that I avoid like the plague) is filled with many of the foods I'm craving.

Any tricks you use during PMS week to help curb the cravings? My go to of chewing gum isn't doing much, I had some parsnip chips today but they didn't satisfy the chips/dip want.

Replies

• sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    When this happens to me, I try to eat more fat to combat the cravings. I eat until I'm satisfied, even if I went over my calories. It usually balances out by having a few non-hungry days afterwards.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Pork rinds and French onion dip are pretty tasty. I also like them with cream cheese. Mmmmmm
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    fathead pizza, salami and string cheese, diet soda, loaded cauliflower mash, stroganoff on zoodles...basically my highest fat week, but so delicious I don't even miss ice cream. :)
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Oh, and PB on celery was my go-to my first Keto period.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    I know shark week is around the corner, because I begin looking to eat everything that isn't nailed down >:)

I'm T2, and just this time of month makes my blood sugar spike despite eating less than 30g of carbs/day for the last 4 years, since diagnosis.

I don't fight it.

I eat when hungry, without limits, as long as it's within the parameters that keep my blood sugar targets where they need to be.

Pinterest-ing low carb recipes has helped me immensely!! I have over 400 pins of recipes to date, so I never get bored.

• MKknits
    @hookilau cate to share you board for pinned recipes?
  • MKknits
    It's good to know I'm not alone....I had to get spinach from the grocery store and the single serving carrot cake was hard to walk by....but I did. The smell of pizza at work tonight made me want to steal a whole pie and hide in a corner and eat it all...while growling. I couldn't figure out what was wrong then I looked at Fertility Friend (we aren't trying but we use NFP to hopefully keep our family at 3 girls so I track my cycle religiously) and I realized what my real issue was.
  • MKknits
    Oh and pizza bowl...so good
  • BT_rescuemom
    BT_rescuemom Posts: 284 Member
    I feel ya sister. I had the absolute worst day yesterday as far as cravings, hunger, exhaustion, etc... I wanted to eat the entire house. I have been at this two months, so to have those feelings reappear again after having such an uneventful shark week last month was jarring. I didn't really have a plan for that. So I just stuck to low carb foods and didn't worry about the calories. I felt gross, swollen, and inflamed today. So I decided to start a fast, which I am feeling good about today. You may not be ready for that kind of thing yet, but it's something to consider for future PMS/shark weeks. I am finding it to be a really useful tool to dial back the cravings and keep my body guessing a bit. I may start a fast next month a couple days before shark week (as long as I'm not preggo) so I hopefully can avoid the hunger and cravings and that feeling of being out of control.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    edited December 2016
    @MKknits, sure =D
    Here's a link to one of the boards I have set up there. So, confession time :# .....

I'm not tech savy and between my tablet, my cell phone & my laptop (which only now gets use because I'm reading the boards again and typing on a touch screen is just hellish) I saved some recipes to different boards and haven't figured out how to delete pins =P

So.....basically, my boards are the junk drawers of what rattles around in my head =D

You're going to find some of the recipes are NOT low carb, I pinned them with plans to modify with low carb substitutes as necessary.

https://www.pinterest.com/nbenacia/freekin-food-baby/

https://www.pinterest.com/nbenacia/keto-recipes-to-try/

Duh...the option to edit boards is not available on my cell/tablet -_____- but now that I see it on the dusty ol' laptop, going there now to organize.

Meantime, enjoy a browse through, eh? Many recipes are already tried and true, so if you have any questions, feel free to ask!

Edited to add: I made the shepherd's pie tonight, but slightly modified. You can look at my diary to see nutritional info.

• tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    some of my craving go-to foods:

dark chocolate (85% is my favorite) or coconut oil chocolate - for the sweet cravings

nuts - this usually works for my salty/crunchy craving, and I don't even care if I go over on calories since they are still better than eating a family size bag of chips (which can totally happen)

pork rinds (plain) slathered with cream cheese - this seems to help for the vague bottomless hungries that hit me during that time even when I know I've had plenty to eat

anything with extra fat
  • clawson91
    clawson91 Posts: 106 Member
    Thanks for the tips ladies!! Helping me a bunch! I ate a bunch of pork rinds and almonds yesterday due to PMS munchies and I feel better about it now with your info. :smiley:
  • Rainqueen77
    Rainqueen77 Posts: 116 Member
    Pepperoni chips and onion dip - really good!
  • idocdlw
    idocdlw Posts: 208 Member

Share specifics please...this sounds awesome!
  • mickigoad
    mickigoad Posts: 51 Member
    I like red bell peppers with cream cheese as snacks to get the crunchy and fatty that I'm looking for. I also find that when I am craving sweets, dill pickles help me. It's weird, but it does... for me... maybe not for everyone ;) I second the 85% cacao chocolate. I like Green & Black brand the best, but there are many to choose from. I do enjoy Good Earth Sweet and Spicy tea as it has natural sweetness without me adding anything to it... and spice... and a bit of citrus... just a good deterrent to snacking on all the kid snacks in the house. http://shop.goodearth.com/Sweet-and-Spicy-Caffeine-Free/p/GET-301356N&c=GoodEarth@AllTeas

I am approaching shark week myself... and listening to my tummy rumble as I type this. Maybe a cup of tea is in order. :wink:
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    edited December 2016
    Bunless cheeseburgers with extra cheese preferably from Five Guys gets me through my PMS cravings. I find just extra fatty food in general prevents carb cravings.

Since you are new and track your cycles I thought I'd warn you that your cycles can go haywire as your body adjusts to keto. At first I had two periods in a month. Thereafter my periods came slightly closer together and they still do. Sometimes I go a whole 28 days and but most the time it's closer to 21 now. IDK if it's ALL keto related because I am 38 and I guess I could be seeing age related hormone changes. I just thought I'd throw that out there especially as you are tracking cycles for purposes of family planning and might want to be extra cautious!
  • gettinthere
    gettinthere Posts: 529 Member
    I make lots of fat bombs....bunless bacon cheese burgers are a must...pork rinds in dip are incredible...a cheese crust pizza hits the spot and of course dark chocolate and tea with extra cream!! You'll get through this, keep calm and keto on!!
  • Rainqueen77
    Rainqueen77 Posts: 116 Member
    edited December 2016
    idocdlw wrote: »

Share specifics please...this sounds awesome!

I microwave some pepperoni slices on a paper towel on a plate until crisp and use them as chips.