Correct Calories, Not Losing Weight

Hello all! I decided to stop being a lurker and finally post, because we're not sure what to do any more. My SO is 6' 1" and started at 240 pounds (down from 280 a few years ago!). He's been trying to get down to 200 or ideally 195, even though that's "technically" above his ideal BMI, because he's been down into where his BMI said would be healthy before and he was miserable and WAY skinny.

Anyway, through changing his diet and exercising together, we got him down from 240 to 220 between March 2016 and September 2016. Then, he plateaued and stayed around 218 for weeks. We changed things up a bit, actually upping his daily calories and incorporating more protein, and he dropped down to 215 before plateauing again.

On things like Scooby Workshop, we're seeing that his daily calories to lose a pound a week are at about 2185. He eats until he's satisfied and usually clocks in at around 1950 calories or so. We don't understand why he's stopped losing.

Our exercise regimen is that we alternate weight days (bicep curls and such, no bench presses) and speed walking days, so we do something every day of the week. Weight days usually last about 20 minutes, speed walking for an hour, because that's what we have time for. 95% of meals are home-cooked by me. I've included yesterday's full meals below as a sample of a typical day.

Breakfast
Life Cereal (plain or cinnamon)
½ cup
Milk, whole
½ cup
Greek yogurt, plain, whole milk
¾ cup
Blueberries, raw
¼ cup
Grapes, raw
½ cup, seedless
Honey
1 tablespoon

Lunch
Turkey sandwich (homemade turkey), with a little Japanese mayo, a slice of cheese, on whole-grain bread

Dinner
Homemade tostada with beef, cheese, lettuce, jalapeno, a little sour cream
Half a small cantaloupe
Salad with like a tbsp of ranch

Sorry for the long post. Just trying to give as much helpful info as possible. I don't get why he's stalled in weight loss for weeks and weeks. Help?

Replies

• Quite a few folks here have suggested using a food scale vs. cup measurements. I can attest to its effectiveness - it's made a world of difference for me. It's not a holistic answer for you by any means, but certainly something to think about trying.
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Yep, you need a food scale.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    if you make your/his food diaries open as well, ppl can take a look and provide recommendations
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Quite a few folks here have suggested using a food scale vs. cup measurements. I can attest to its effectiveness - it's made a world of difference for me. It's not a holistic answer for you by any means, but certainly something to think about trying.

This. If you're not using a food scale get one asap-it will blow your mind lol. I've been doing this whole thing for years now and I still need to use one, or I easily overestimate on portion sizes for things like oats, rice, etc.
  • Baconk28
    Baconk28 Posts: 2 Member
    I have found for myself when I plateu is to either do 1 of 2 things. Either I massively increase my water intake - around 1.5 gallons - for 2 days before going back to around 1 gallon a day. That helps to flush out your system and get rid of a lot of excess water weight. Or option 2 is I take 2 days off my diet and go 7-800 calories over my daily intake just to give my metabolism a shock. Make sure you increase water intake with option 2 as you will have an increased intake of salt.

I also suggest to try over a week or two to have your daily water consumption around 1 gallon a day - 3.7 litres or 15 cups -. I have noticed a world of difference in alertness, energy and a lack of plateuing since I did it.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    I'm 6'2" tall, weighed 305 when I started. I hit my initial goal of 190 within one year. I put myself at a 20% deficit at the start, then exercised and ate back 50% of those calories. The loss averaged around 2 lb/week for that year. there were times I lost less, stayed the same, or lost more than 2 lb a week. The one thing I can tell you is that my rate of weight loss was unhealthy and resulted in several injuries in that year. If I had to do it again, I'd probably set myself at 10% deficit, and eat back closer to 80% of my exercise calories and just let the weight loss take longer. Here's what I would suggest:

1) Figure out your TDEE without exercise first. For me, at 6'2" tall 305 lbs, it's 2681 calories according to iifym.com. Now, at 180lbs (my current weight), it's 2027 calories.

See the difference? Make sure that as he loses weight he's re-calculating his TDEE! It goes down as his weight goes down because it takes less effort for him to do every day tasks.

2) Choose the amount of deficit you want. If you want to lose roughly 1 lb a week, it's 3500 calories or so for that week, which calculates out to 500 calories a day. So use the calculator (either at iifym.com or one of your choosing) to figure your current TDEE without exercise, then subtract 500 from that number and set that as your daily goal. I'll bet you'll be under the calories you're set at now.

3) Use a HR monitor along with an app you trust to measure calories burned during exercise and link your app or device to MFP so those calories are added to your diary. Now.. once you have those.. don't trust it. Eat back no more than 80% of those calories each day, I started at 50% an adjusted over time. Most people start at 50%.

4) Plateaus are normal. If they last more than a couple of weeks I'd likely start looking closely at your calculations, but still until it lasts 3 weeks or more I wouldn't adjust anything. If the weight loss doesn't start up again then adjust your calories down 100 or 200 and give it a few weeks. Or simply re-calculate based on current weight.

5) Every time you lose 5 lbs re-calculate your daily goals. They will change. This will help you reduce the amount of plateaus you encounter along the way.

6) Remember, sodium can cause water weight gain, especially around big meals or holidays, so ignore plateaus around those times or even small gains. It's even worse for women around TOM. Get back on track then look at the weight again a week or so later.

7) I have a desk job so I calculate everything as sedentary to start with. But if your SO is active daily (factory job, teacher on their feet all day, etc.) without additional exercise you can adjust that with a good calculator like iifym.com's.

Good luck. To me it sounds like there may be 2 problems going on:

Your daily calorie goals probably need adjusting.
    You should be weighing all solid foods in grams or ounces to be more accurate.

As always, just my opinion, based on my own experiences.
  • smotheredincheese
    smotheredincheese Posts: 559 Member
    So many cups and fractions of cups. Do you weigh anything? 'A little mayo' can be hundreds of calories if you're not careful.
  • Raptor2763
    Raptor2763 Posts: 387 Member
    Take you measurements and compare to earlier ones. You might be losing inches, but not weight. It's not uncommon
  • Yes to the food scale! I've had some products where if I used the measuring cup suggestion versus measuring the grams on my digital scale I would have actually been eating twice the calories
  • Edibor
    Edibor Posts: 4 Member
    Hello again, all! Based on TDEE, which comes in at between 2434 and 2509, if we subtract 500 from that, he's still within the weight loss range at 1900-1950. We don't weigh anything, but in answer to "a little mayo can be hundreds of calories" (you're definitely right!), when I say "a little mayo," I mean about a teaspoon. You're definitely right that things like mayo, dressing, etc can really get out of hand and seem less than they actually are!

What I'm mainly confused about is that upping his calories to a level where he was feeling satisfied at meals did lead to a weight drop, and now maintaining that level of eating has not resulting in gaining the weight back. He drinks tons of water each day (thankfully! I'm the opposite), so while we haven't measured how much he drinks (and I don't think it's a gallon), he's up there. Three or four bottles a day.

Something else that I'm not sure about is whether doing this weight training may be adding muscle simultaneously with weight loss, so he may be trimming up but the number doesn't move. Is that possible? He still has a belly, but there are days where I can see that he's trimmed up.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    How long has it been since he has lost any weight?
    Is he logging everything he eats and drinks? Can we look at a food diary?
    Is he using a digital food scale and choosing accurate entries? You give measurements for breakfast foods but not others so it is hard to say how off the calories may be.

I would tighten up accuracy of logging first.
  • deannalfisher
    rough TDEE for your SO's side with a sedentary lifestyle is 2500(ish) - I used mid 30's as an age, since that wasn't given...it goes up to 2800 with light activity and higher as you go; I'd go with maybe light activity and try maybe 22-2300 a day

but like others have said, weight everything - it'll help

if you open up the diary that will also help
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Unless you are glued to his side 24/7, you don't know if he is eating outside of what you see him eat. I can tell you from personal experience that it is extremely easy to slam down a few hundred calories within a minute or two without your partner having any idea about it.
  • Edibor
    Edibor Posts: 4 Member
    Okay, let's see. I'm assuming you guys use MyFitnessPal for a food diary? I've also seen MyFitnessTracker. I can go get measurements for some things right now, and then of course I'd be happy to open up the food diary. We wanna make this work, so I'm willing to put in some effort in weighing.

I forgot that I didn't include his age: 31. Currently 215 lbs. Sedentary job (he's a lawyer), but we exercise as I mentioned. For now, I'd welcome suggestions on a good food diary to use that I can share with you guys easily.
  • deannalfisher
    i think most of us use MFP - and probably have open diaries so you can take a look - i've only been tracking about 3 weeks consistently so far
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    You can try setting him to 1.5lbs/week deficit for a while to see if that helps, that would be 750 cal per day instead of 500. As far as weight lifting, a tough workout can cause water weight gain while the body recovers, but adding muscle just isn't that fast for most people. It can take months to add a pound of muscle or more. Usually muscle is added at a much slower rate than fat. What are his overall stats, I'm assuming 6'1" tall, 215 lbs.. what about age and current daily activity level without added exercise? That way it can all be plugged into calculators so that people can give you their opinions on a target daily calorie intake. Also, the scale will blow your mind, and it's inexpensive, so no reason not to consider it. A decent one on Amazon can cost you $25 or less delivered to your door. To weigh things like mayonnaise, you simply weigh the bread, zero out the scale, then add mayo and re-weigh in grams. Makes things simple. For things like salads, I put my bowl or plate on the scale, zero it out (tare) add each ingredient zeroing the scale each time to weigh the next. Even dressing, since it's probably 70% of the calories in a salad, zero the scale out again with the salad on it, then weigh the dressing as you pour in grams. Easy peasy. Once you start using one you'll be surprised how inaccurate volume measurements were in the first place.

• savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    jemhh wrote: »
    Unless you are glued to his side 24/7, you don't know if he is eating outside of what you see him eat. I can tell you from personal experience that it is extremely easy to slam down a few hundred calories within a minute or two without your partner having any idea about it.

This is what I was thinking. Does he go to work outside the home? If you're not with him 24/7, you don't actually know that his food diary is accurate.

This is why he really needs to be the one keeping it, and "driving" this effort. You can tell him waht to eat and watch what he eats with you, but you have no idea if he's hitting the office candy jar hard, or going to the pop machine on breaks.