Touching base

kylesbacon
kylesbacon Posts: 21 Member
Hi all, just want to check Im doing this right. I keep my carbs to under 20g (normally around 11-15g but some days as low as 6g) but despite my best efforts my fat is always lower than my protein. Im usually somewhere around 30g fat, 55g protein, with slight variences. Calories wise Im consuming between 600 and 1000 a day, most days averaging at around 850. The reason calories are so low is I started on a low cal shake meal rep thing and then decided it wasn't healthy so I moved onto this. Been doing it for a week and not lost anything on the scale. Drinking about 2l of water a day. Is it coz fat isn't high enough? TIA.

Replies

• LowCarb4Me2016
    LowCarb4Me2016 Posts: 575 Member
    My suggestion is to give it time. And I would consider upping the calorie intake if I were you. Not because it will make you lose faster, but because it will make things easier to sustain over time. Judging by your profile pic, you may be close to maintenance as it is and that will make for slower losses. I've read about people losing massive amounts of water weight when they first start keto, but they generally start with having a lot to lose. As far as doing this right, you want to keep an open mind because every person is a little bit different. Its ok to play around with it at first to figure out what works best for you.
  • carlsoda
    carlsoda Posts: 3,412 Member
    depending on your height, I would say your calories are awfully low. I'm 5' 4" and average about 1700 calories a day - 70% of which are fat! I'm at maintenance so I get to eat a little more :)
  • kylesbacon
    Thanks both, sounds like I may be a little off with mine then! Im 5ft 7 and weigh 91kgs, trying to get down to at least 65kgs, so Ive got a long way to go! Ill increase calories and see if it helps at all - thank you!!
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    To up your fat, try eating dark meat chicken with the skin on, as opposed to skinless boneless chicken breast. Sautee veggies in fat such as olive oil or butter. Put cream in your coffee.

If you eat ground beef, then go for a higher fat percentage like 73/27 as opposed to something like 93/7. If your packages don't say the percentage, try looking for words such as 'regular' instead of 'lean'.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    I'm an inch shorter than you and OLD comparatively. I started at your weight (~200) and lost to about your goal (140 vs 143). Granted it took me about a year and I'm guessing you have a desire to lose faster than that but the reality is your body probably won't lose the weight much faster in a healthy fashion. We're all different and with you being younger you might drop it more quickly but you need to eat. I averaged 1.25 pound per week on 1400 -> 1200 calories with a few days a bit lower as well as a bit higher. Kept my hair. Didn't get sick. Had plenty of energy for life and moderate exercise. No stalls. Didn't lose via keto but keto may even make it easier for you.

Glad to hear you're going to eat. You're body is hanging on for life. Enjoy the process and learn along the way to keep it off long term. Protect your health.

Love, Mom.
    Love, Grandma :)
  • MyriiStorm
    MyriiStorm Posts: 609 Member
    Put cream in your coffee.
    Not milk, not half & half. Full fat, heavy whipping cream. And butter. And coconut or MCT oil. (Can you tell I like fatty coffee?)

Put butter on everything - veggies and meats. Eat the softer cheeses - brie, mascarpone, cream, havarti. They have more fat than the hard ones, like parmesan, romano or asiago.

• kylesbacon
    Thank you everyone, going to up calories and get around some more fat - haha, never thought Id be saying that!!
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    I would recommend you input your stats into something like http://ketodietapp.com/Blog/page/KetoDiet-Buddy to get a starting point & caloric goal.

Good luck ;)
  • kylesbacon
    Hi all, switched my macros around, now doing 50g protein, 70g fat, carbs around 16g and Ive increased my calories to around 1000 -1200 mark. Got on scales this morning just to check and Ive put on nearly a kilo in 2 days.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    kylesbacon wrote: »
    Hi all, switched my macros around, now doing 50g protein, 70g fat, carbs around 16g and Ive increased my calories to around 1000 -1200 mark. Got on scales this morning just to check and Ive put on nearly a kilo in 2 days.

Coincidence. Nothing adds weight that fast besides water and gut contents.
    Just stick to the plan. Itll happen. Even if the scale doesn't move, fat will drop off.
    Your body isn't likely to drop weight if there is some healing to do. Keep at it.
    Also, you mention drinking at least 2L of water a day. Is this because you're thirsty or you're trying to drink a lot of water because of the idea that it's good to do?
  • kylesbacon

Just stick to the plan. Itll happen. Even if the scale doesn't move, fat will drop off.
    Your body isn't likely to drop weight if there is some healing to do. Keep at it.
    Also, you mention drinking at least 2L of water a day. Is this because you're thirsty or you're trying to drink a lot of water because of the idea that it's good to do?

Thanks... drinking the water mainly out of habit. I have a bottle on my desk at work all the time.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member

Thanks... drinking the water mainly out of habit. I have a bottle on my desk at work all the time.

I wouldn't say to limit water but there's no need to drink more than what you're really thirsty for. It's possible to create water retention by flushing out too much sodium. If you're drinking a lot of water you'll need more sodium to keep balanced. Average for low carb is 3000-5000mg. For keto, especially in the first few weeks/months 5000mg wouldn't be unusual at all. Many find they feel best at even higher amounts especially with higher water volumes and sweating and higher activity.
    There is more to the hydration equation than just the water.