Carb Blockers?

I keep hearing about Phaseolus Vulgaris - White Kidney Bean extract. I am not looking for a cure all magic pill but a little support would be nice! (since my body works against me!)

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,262 Member
    What do you mean by your body works against you?
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Yes please elaborate. Are you sure it's not a case of the placebo lack of knowledge fever?
  • flagrantavidity
    flagrantavidity Posts: 217 Member
    Good question! I lost a lot of weight but will always have the same amount of fat cells, what some people call "fat memory." My metabolism has slowed down after loosing weight, and there is a good chance my metabolism wont recover. Finally, the reduction of leptin has made me very hungry, constantly and its very hard to maintain self-control being constantly hungry.

This is what I mean by my body is working against me.
  • jemhh
    Have you considered trying to add muscle? Your thread in Food said you are 5'7" and went from 200 to 130 in 6 months and then bigger back to 140. My guess is you don't have much muscle. I think you'd feel better if you would eat enough to build muscle rather than trying to get back to 130.
  • flagrantavidity
    I can start a thread on muscle gain a little later, I would like to get back to the original topic of Phaseolus Vulgaris as a carb blocker.

I am looking for some support, not a cure, and if Phaseolus Vulgaris is really able to block carb digestion so carbs don't break down into sugars that are stored as fat - it would be nice to have that support tool on my side.
  • jemhh
    edited December 2016
    If you are not eating in excess you will not be increasing your fat stores. If you are eating so many carbs that you are increasing fat stores, eat fewer calories (whether from carbs or not.)
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Why not just avoid eating the carbs rather than taking an extract that might have side effects and may or may not do what you'd like it to do?
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    edited December 2016
    Why not just limit carbs?

I'm not sure I'd be convinced there's such a thing as an effective 'carb blocker' per se, as any T2D can tell you ;)

PS: ditto on the recommendation to start a weight training program

eta: last part cause apparently my lack of carbs is limiting my ability to string a few words together :p
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Good question! I lost a lot of weight but will always have the same amount of fat cells, what some people call "fat memory." My metabolism has slowed down after loosing weight, and there is a good chance my metabolism wont recover. Finally, the reduction of leptin has made me very hungry, constantly and its very hard to maintain self-control being constantly hungry.

Ummm, nope.
  • hookilau

Another thought....I've heard about the whole fat cell thing and wondered if anyone who touts that, considers that cells eventually die. I expect you won't be lugging them around with you forever.

What you said above is also a lot of conjecture. You're guessing that your metabolism won't ever recover, you will have these fat cells with you forever, and your leptin is impaired, so you're doomed.

I lost 30# 4 years ago. I don't know if my fat cells are still around, but I'm still 30#'s lighter, so I don't care ;)

Here's an easy solution for ya: Feeling hungry?...go take the dog for a walk, earn some calories with activity & eat within your caloric limit.
  • flagrantavidity
    No health conditions, not taking medications, most recent blood work was "phenomenal." I run 2 miles min every day, average 30k steps a day, do a 5x5 weight routine every other day or at least 3 times a week.

My most recent cholesterol readings:
    Cholesterol 174 mg/dL
    Triglyceride 57 mg/dL
    HDL Chol 79 mg/dL
    LDL Calc 94 mg/dL
  • jemhh
    If that is all the case, your immense cravings could be due to trying to adhere to eating too few calories per day. Your other thread said you were aiming for 2500 per day. How did you come up with that number?
  • singletrackmtbr
    singletrackmtbr Posts: 644 Member
    edited December 2016
    No health conditions, not taking medications, most recent blood work was "phenomenal." I run 2 miles min every day, average 30k steps a day, do a 5x5 weight routine every other day or at least 3 times a week.

Cholesterol 174 mg/dL
    Triglyceride 57 mg/dL
    HDL Chol 79 mg/dL
    LDL Calc 94 mg/dL

Yet your body is working against you?

I stand by my previous post. If you want to stay healthy and maintain your weight long term, establish a sustainable balance in your diet and exercise.
  • hookilau

Cholesterol 174 mg/dL
    Triglyceride 57 mg/dL
    HDL Chol 79 mg/dL
    LDL Calc 94 mg/dL

Yet your body is working against you?

Well now...that's a horse of a different color, isn't it?
  • flagrantavidity
    edited December 2016
    jemhh wrote: »
    Your other thread said you were aiming for 2500 per day. How did you come up with that number?
    I got 2500 from here for weight maintenance.

Calorie calculator: Here
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    If you are going to take carb blockers, make sure you live alone as you will gas anyone within a 20 foot radius out of your house! And also make sure to bring a shirt that you can tie around your waist with you when you go out, for when you inevitably do a "shart"...

Not speaking from experience or anything :flushed:

IMHO it would be a lot easier to just reduce your carbs.
  • jemhh
    edited December 2016
    Calorie calculator: Here

That gives 2585 for 130 lbs and 2663 for 140. You were eating 2500 and are now aiming at 1800. Why?

You are consistently underfueling yourself and then when you binge you blame it on fat memory. It's not fat memory. It's undereating.
  • flagrantavidity
    , make sure you live alone as you will gas anyone within a 20 foot radius out of your house!

HaHa!!!

I already have this problem, I eat a good portion of oats and gas out when I drink/eat a protein snack - Its horrid! Glad the wife still loves me :) .

But sharts? Oh hell no!!!

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited December 2016

Who were all these things diagnosed by?

[ETA:] Everybody who loses weight will have the same amount/number of fat cells afterward. The adipocytes (fat cells) don't die or go away, they're simply emptied of fat content. So you're not unique in that regard, you're just like everybody else.