Lifting Shoes

Hi guys! Looking for some opinions on lifting shoes as I've read some conflicting things online.

Right now all I have are a pair of running/general HIIT workout shoes. I love them and they're super comfortable workout shoes for doing cardio work, but I've read that these types of shoes don't make good lifting shoes as all of the cushion in them can be bad for the knees when lifting. Is this true? And if that's the case what are some good workout shoes? I've looked online at shoes defined as lifting shoes, but they all seem to has some sort of cushion or heel support, so what makes those different from regular runners? I've also seen flat shoes like chucks make good lifting shoes, so I was thinking of running out and picking up some cheap walmart versions of those.

So basically in short, what makes a good lifting shoe and so regular runners fit that criteria?

Sorry for such the long post, shoes are super important to me, and if I have shoes that aren't working/aren't comfortable I lost any inclination to work out!

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Like you said, running shoes have a spongier sole, which doesn't give as much control for lifting as a firmer sole. And most running shoes have a raised heel, which isn't appropriate for most strength exercises (or walking, or anything else besides running). Chucks are fine, or skateboard shoes, which is what i wear. Basically any zero-heel shoe with a rubber sole can work if it's comfortable. :+1:
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited December 2016
    I use Asics wrestling shoes which are probably slightly better than chucks, but are more expensive as well. I would use chucks if they actually would fit my feet.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    We wear asics wrestling shoes.

They are flat without any cushioning whatsoever. I wore holes in 'em & actually need a new pair, just haven't gotten around to replacing them as yet :p

In their stead, I go barefoot. So I wear regular sneakers to gym, when it's time to dead lift, squat or do military presses, I kick 'em off.

I know folks seem to like regular Converse (Chuck Taylors) for lifting too because they are also relatively flat and lack a whole lot of cushioning.

I wore those for quite a while too ;) I've got small feet and can easily wear 4.5 in boys with both shoes, so it's relatively cheap too!

Truth be told, I wear both types out because I don't just wear them to the gym B)

• Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    I use Asics wrestling shoes which are probably slightly better than chucks, but are more expensive as well. I would use chucks if they actually would fit my feet.

Look on line for sales on the wrestling shoes in late January when the high school season is in the latter stages.
  • hookilau
    Hey, awesome tip!!!
    The asics we buy are under 50$ on Amazon.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00U8ZX16M/ref=crt_ewc_title_gw_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3B4LZ0SELNSA1

Chucks don't fit the men in my family either (wide feet), for weight training, they opt for the asics linked above.

• SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    i just wear chucks
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,543 Member

Got my ASICS online with free shipping for $45 I think. Ordered directly from asics.com. Go look! They're bright and beautiful wrestling shoes.
  • hookilau

Got my ASICS online with free shipping for $45 I think. Ordered directly from asics.com. Go look! They're bright and beautiful wrestling shoes.

wahhhhht?
    That's awesome!!!

I'm gonna check that out. As I said before, I like them even outside of the gym!
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Typically I don't wear any shoes when strength training. But I train at home so I can. Otherwise, I have a pair of New Balance zero's for when I go to the gym to lift.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    If you're new to training chucks are fine for both lifts. I image that I would like the wrestling shoes for deadlifts but can't really imagine them for squats. I like the Nike Romaleos for squats with a raised heel but they are pricey.
  • Nikki10129
    Nikki10129 Posts: 292 Member
    Thanks guys! So the raised heal I see on those squat shoes (didn't realize there were separate squat and deadlift shoes!) isn't a compression heal right? Just a raised heel? That's what had me confused about some cushioning.

And yeah I remember the chuck hype however long ago, I'm a girl with small but wide feet so I couldn't get a pair that was comfortable D: so now I think I'll be on the hunt, those ASICS seem pretty cool!
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Nikki10129 wrote: »
    Thanks guys! So the raised heal I see on those squat shoes (didn't realize there were separate squat and deadlift shoes!) isn't a compression heal right? Just a raised heel? That's what had me confused about some cushioning.

And yeah I remember the chuck hype however long ago, I'm a girl with small but wide feet so I couldn't get a pair that was comfortable D: so now I think I'll be on the hunt, those ASICS seem pretty cool!

Right, the heel on the squat shoe is hard.
  • hookilau
    Nikki10129 wrote: »

Ahh...yes, in the case of wide feet, definately go with a wrestling shoe. The asics we use come in wide widths, they're soft and flexible, allowing for plenty of natural movement.

My son has some pretty significant bunion activity happening, making chucks a terrible fit. However, I happened upon a search string on Pinterest, 'lacing shoes wide feet' and 'lacing shoes bunions'.

Changing the way the boy laces his chucks, allows him to wear them more comfortably...he actually shouldn't be wearing them at all.

Clarks. Those fit the shape of his feet ;)
  • as everyone else has said, hard soled flat shoes are the best, you can splash out loads of money on chucks and reeboks and other branded shoes, but if you're on a serious budget (yep, i'm a student) then plimsolls and non-branded converse trainers work brilliantly :')
  • Ocrgrrrl
    Ocrgrrrl Posts: 189 Member
    I ❤️ my chucks for lifting! I use them for squats and deads and have been getting stronger each week with no problems.
  • ntnunk
    ntnunk Posts: 936 Member
    edited December 2016
    I just wear a pair of Merrill's with the Vibram soles (NOT those Five-finger abominations). No compression, flat soles. I'm not a huge lifter, but they seem to work great.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    ntnunk wrote: »
    I just wear a pair of Merrill's with the Vibram soles (NOT those Five-finger abominations). No compression, flat soles. I'm not a huge lifter, but they seem to work great.

New Balance Minimus are very similar. I think they may be phasing them out/changing models so you may find them cheap.
  • maranarasauce93
    maranarasauce93 Posts: 293 Member
    For deadlifts, the closer the shoe is to barefoot the better. I wear chucks but a lot of people suggest something more supportive and stable. I heard a good alternative to more expensive shoes--such as sabos-- the reebok CrossFit TR lite is good. They look like chuck Taylor's but they have more longevity and are sturdier.

In terms of squat shoes, your stance and how you position the bar can determine what type of shoe is best for you. For wider stance or low bar squats, it is generally recommended to use a flatter shoe, like the ones I have mentioned above. If you squat high bar or with a much more narrow stance, it is generally recommended to squat in a lifter. These types of shoes have a raised heel that is flat in design. These shoes also prevent lateral mobility of the foot within the shoe. Personally, while I squat low bar (with the bar positioned on my rear delts vs upper traps) but I like wearing lifters. The pair of lifters I own are pendlay do-wins. They are much cheaper than the higher end shoes like the adipowers or the Nike Romaleos, but I feel stable in them, and they are showing no signs of wear and tear.

So generally, it's more about personal preference for squats but the general rule is that you will not be stable in a running shoe (for both squats and deads) due to the cushioning. I hope that helps somewhat!
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,974 Member
    I wear a VS brand Olympic style lifted shoe for high bar squats and conventional DLs. .

Well rated and more affordable than Adidas. They work well for me.

Also have a pair of Chuck Taylor's but i prefer the VS.