Carb Blockers?

2»

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    , make sure you live alone as you will gas anyone within a 20 foot radius out of your house!

HaHa!!!

I already have this problem, I eat a good portion of oats and gas out when I drink/eat a protein snack - Its horrid! Glad the wife still loves me :) .

But sharts? Oh hell no!!!

Well, give them a try at your own peril. I have a cast iron gut and i can eat/consume anything without consequence, but these pills did NOT agree with me at all!

• flagrantavidity
    flagrantavidity Posts: 217 Member
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Who were all these things diagnosed by?

Science. We can't reduce the number of fat cells we have, except through surgery.

According to tests my metabolism has indeed slowed. This is a known side effect of loosing a large amount of weight and not unexpected, nor unusual.

I have had blood test and my leptin hormone is lower than "normal."
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    How about stop trying to find the easy way out? I was 213lbs. Easily 65lbs over weight. I lost it all. And even with all of those fat cells I can get down to 6-7% body fat and be shredded with abs. Due to the fact that I eat with my calories often consuming 350-450g of carbs a day. Eat at a deficit of you don't want to gain fat. Eat at a surplus and lift progressively if you want to reduce that appetite with minimal fat gains.
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    edited December 2016

Science. We can't reduce the number of fat cells we have, except through surgery.

According to tests my metabolism has indeed slowed. This is a known side effect of loosing a large amount of weight and not unexpected, nor unusual.

Please, share your results. In number and detail. Also, how was your metabolism tested? Again, share details and numbers.

ETA: No, I'm not asking for your medical records. I'm asking you to share what was tested and what your numbers were. Because I'm skeptical, and other people are reading this.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    MissusMoon wrote: »

Please, share your results. In number and detail. Also, how was your metabolism tested? Again, share details and numbers.

Surely we aren't going to demand people post their private medical records here before they get help?
  • MissusMoon
    edited December 2016

Surely we aren't going to demand people post their private medical records here before they get help?

No, I'm not asking for private medical records. Certainly anyone can state the type of testing done and what the numbers are.

ETA: Really?????
  • flagrantavidity
    I feel dumber than I did an hour ago when I first clicked on this thread.

How sad, I didnt realize reading could kill brain cells. That must be a bummer!

I dont believe I ever attributed my weight gain to anything besides calories in Vs out. More in than out is going to lead to weight gain. Yes, binging on sugar is not good - I chose sugar over other items because welll i think its because I removed it in my diet for so long.

From what I am hearing from some people is I should be eating more.

Perhaps my misunderstanding is on the role carbs play in the body, how they are broken down, and the way that sugar they are broken down into is used or stored.

• cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member

No, I'm not asking for private medical records. Certainly anyone can state the type of testing done and what the numbers are.

ETA: Really?????

Heh..I didn't think you were, either. OP already showed some numbers, but no-one was asking for a scan of his medical records as far as I can tell.

I once had someone PM me asking me to send them my records....lol..yeah, no.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member

I dont believe I ever attributed my weight gain to anything besides calories in Vs out. More in than out is going to lead to weight gain. Yes, binging on sugar is not good - I chose sugar over other items because welll i think its because I removed it in my diet for so long.

Perhaps my misunderstanding is on the role carbs play in the body, how they are broken down, and the way that sugar they are broken down into is used or stored.

Your first mistake is thinking that sugar is stored as fat when you're in a caloric deficit. When in a deficit, there is no net storage of fat regardless of your macro balance or what you eat.
  • flagrantavidity
    edited December 2016
    I will say I do find it interesting that I ask about a carb blocker to get peoples opinion on Phaseolus Vulgaris. However, the responses I received in reply have been seemingly attacking on the assumption that I am going to start consuming said supplement. I appreciate Christine_72 response, she stayed on topic.

I was under the assumption that the sugars broken down from carbs will be stored as fat (period - full stop) - but it doesn't sound like it works like that. From what I am hearing is if I burn off the energy via exercise there is no need for some kind of carb blocker. Sounds good to me - I don't want to take something that won't have a benefit. I am not looking for an easy way out. It wasn't easy loosing 70+ pounds, it wasn't easy quitting alcohol, it wasn't easy quitting smoking, and its not easy maintaining healthy weight, diet, and exercise. I have a body image problem, no doubt, I will try to work on that so I don't get this kind of feedback from the community.

By the way, I have had a great week, I kept to 2500 calories and have been feeling great. I still have food cravings, but I have removed a lot of the sweets from the house. I do have sugar free instant jello and pudding - so I can treat myself to dessert, but I actually have to make it. Even though my stomach feels full not bloated but full, my mind still wants to eat - it really sucks.

I thank everyone that gave been constructive feedback and criticism, but the attacking comments are unwarranted.
  • MissusMoon

DUDE.

It wasn't sugar. It wasn't carbs.

IT WAS CALORIES.
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Carb blockers are almost certainly junk science.
  • singletrackmtbr
    singletrackmtbr Posts: 644 Member
    edited December 2016

A few cells are left and they're seeing you post about leptin, fat cells, and metabolism slowing. None of those things have anything to do with CICO. But I'm going put that aside and not belabor the point if you can't see it in your posts.

So my recommendation is you start doing real research instead of asking on forums. Look at actual studies (not articles talking about studies, unless they link to the study) and gauge their validity. How was the study conducted? How old is it? What was the sample size? . What were the limitations? Who paid for it? Was it repeated?

MFP is a great learning tool at times, but is also full of people who have had some success and then became "experts," often repeating information they heard from other experts in other forums. You're going to get so many different answers to each question most of the time, and you'll be more confused than before you asked.

Doing the research can be time consuming, and at times frustrating, but long term, you'll be better for it, and won't be relying on a large group of people you don't know and who have a huge amount of variability in actual qualifications to answer your questions (including me!).

As I said before, I wish you luck in achieving your goals.
  • singletrackmtbr
    I will say I do find it interesting that I ask about a carb blocker to get peoples opinion on Phaseolus Vulgaris. However, the responses I received in reply have been seemingly attacking on the assumption that I am going to start consuming said supplement. I appreciate Christine_72 response, she stayed on topic.

If you think this was an attack, you haven't spent enough time here! I actually think as a whole the people in this thread have been pretty supportive. Sometimes support means calling you out, though. I've been on both ends of it.

I gave you a link to a study directly related to your question in my first post, yet you didn't acknowledge that in any way, which I find interesting for someone who professes all their information is scientifically based. So you might understand why it appears you were looking more for validation than actually getting your question answered.

• singletrackmtbr
    Sounds good to me - I don't want to take something that won't have a benefit. I am not looking for an easy way out. It wasn't easy loosing 70+ pounds, it wasn't easy quitting alcohol, it wasn't easy quitting smoking, and its not easy maintaining healthy weight, diet, and exercise. I have a body image problem, no doubt, I will try to work on that so I don't get this kind of feedback from the community.

By the way, I have had a great week, I kept to 2500 calories and have been feeling great. I still have food cravings, but I have removed a lot of the sweets from the house. I do have sugar free instant jello and pudding - so I can treat myself to dessert, but I actually have to make it. Even though my stomach feels full not bloated but full, my mind still wants to eat - it really sucks.

Now here's some thinking I can get on board with, and where people here can help. We all struggle, and we all fail, and sometimes we succeed. But some days are hard, they just are. This is the best part of this place: giving and taking inspiration from each other as we work and fight to reach goals, to pick each other up when we blow it, and to celebrate ourselves and each other when we succeed. This is what keeps me coming back.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    I can totally relate to overpowering cravings! Have you looked into going low carb (not keto) instead of taking the carb blockers?
    When i went low carb it totally nixed my cravings, but it also blunted my appetite which is something you do not need. If you do decide to LC you will have to definitely eat your maintenance calories so you don't lose any more weight. Above all, research, research and research so you can make an informed decision.

Apply to join the low carb forum, many of the members are dealing with health conditions who may be able to give you some insight.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group