Calorie goal - whats yours?

Options
I read people's posts a lot and I feel like my calorie goal is really high compared to others so I was curious as to what others are? Mine is 1830, I put lightly active for activity level as I'm on my feet a lot at work, and to lose 1lbs a week, it started at 1980 when I started this and was about 16st. I am now 14 1/2 stone and been at this for about 2 months, thanks

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    I'm in a cut right now to drop some weight I put on when I was injured...about 2,500 calories. Maintenance is around 3,000

Everyone's target is going to be different as per their stats and their activity level. A lot of people set themselves to sedentary regardless of whether they are or not and they select the most aggressive rate of loss goal...that's why you see so many low targets.
  • katiehepp1
    katiehepp1 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Oh I see- I set mine to start with for 1lbs as I've never stuck to a diet before and didn't want to disappoint myself and I don't know if I could survive on 1200-1500 calories without starving hhaa !
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    When I was cutting I was aiming for about 1900, probably would have bumped that up even more if I continued cutting because I was losing faster than I'd like. Trying to navigate going into maintenance right now for training and I'm thinking that will be around 2400, but possibly higher based on my previous rate of loss. I'd like to eat as much as possible at all times, so yeh. 5'1'' 184 lbs.
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    @katiehepp1
    I concur with @cwolfman13 . Each person will have a different calorie goal depending on many factors
    • what is the particular objective for their body weight, at that time (bulk, cut, recomp, just decrease weight
    • what is calorie burn for the day
    • stats: height and body weight

I am on Maintenance. 5FT. My daily calorie goal for sedentary day is 1400 calories. For active days, it depends on the amount of calorie burned: 1600-2000
    Good luck in your healthy journey
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    My activity level is Sedentary. I am male. I am 5'10". MFP records my weight loss goal as hoping for 0.5 lb per week. Therefore, MFP recommends I eat 2130 calories daily. I really do want to lose weight faster than that, so I eat less than 2130. I try to stay below 1800. I also exercise in hopes of having a 1000+ calorie deficit each day. I rarely eat in consideration of eating back exercise calories. Rather, I exercise to burn off eaten calories.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    OP, I'm 19 years older than you and am maintaining at around 1,800 calories.
  • z4oslo
    z4oslo Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Dont have a goal, other than a deficit. Most of my deficit comes from exercise, something I do 6-7 days a week so I can eat the things I want to eat.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    I've been at 1200 since i started at 230 pounds. Not really a problem for me though. Maybe because im only 5 ft 3. Sometimes i walk more and ill bump my calories to 1400-1500 though. Yummy.
  • kermax39
    kermax39 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I started at 1750, had great losses consistently for 3 months then I reduced to 1600, 1500, 1350 and now at 1200 and losing very slowly as I get closer to goal. FYI your calories dont change automatically on mfp as you lose weight, u need to re-enter your weight and goals into the goals tab for it to recalculate your calories. I didnt know this when I started. I do this after every 10lbs iv lost. Cant go any lower now........., oh how I wish I could still eat 1750 and lose.
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I started at 1600 (but actually averaged 1750) and lost faster than I wanted. So, I upped it to 1900. Still lost faster than I wanted. So, now my calorie goal is 2200ish.

It varies a bit from day to day, but I'm aiming to average a 500 calorie deficit relative to the calorie burn my FitBit reports. Most days are in the 2000-2300 range.
  • m0niqueee
    m0niqueee Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    My goal is 1200 I'm lightly active and when I do exercise I'm always in a calorie deficit
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,840 Member
    Options
    Mine is net 1375 cal right now.

I've discovered that net 1500 cal is my maintenance level.
  • CaliMomTeach
    CaliMomTeach Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    I'm at 1240 right now, but I am still trying to lose. It is enough food for me now, but when I first started I felt ridiculously hungry.
  • duddysdad
    duddysdad Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I eat 1550 calories for 2lbs a week. 36 male, 6'5", 220. Sedentary.
  • billglitch
    billglitch Posts: 538 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    mfp wants me at something like 1800 but i choose to make mine 1500. I am doing LCHF and 1500 is enough. I am not hungry, no cravings and am losing weight (113 pounds since January without exercise). I am 55 male and set for lightly active or whatever that is....just more than sedentary.
  • myfightsong88
    myfightsong88 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I set my activity level at sedentary, but I add my workouts in. My calorie goal is 1380 to lose 1lb a week, but I generally eat 1590-1600 with exercise. Sometimes more. I'm a 28 year old female, 5'5", 167.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    42 year old sedentary female 5'4" and about 157lbs
    Calorie goal without exercise is 1200 to lose .5-1 lb a week. If I exercise I eat more.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Since you are active, probably heavier and younger than some you get a higher allowance. Don't worry about what other people are eating, everyone has different stats. I usually have 1400-1500 base to lose 1 pound a week, but with added activity I end up averaging around 1800-2000. I'm heavy and only moderately active, if I was more active I would be eating even more. Even now with a lower allowance (bracing for Christmas with 1250 base budget) this is how the past 5 days worked, and I'm well within my 1250 budget:
    6ch93386vpcs.png

• RemcoVreeswijk
    RemcoVreeswijk Posts: 1 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I'm 21 years old and 1.74cm tall. Right now my cal goal is 1769. Trying to lose some bodyfat from 17% to about 8-10%. This week I started cutting. I hope i will see progress soon!
  • katiehepp1
    katiehepp1 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    All of you who are at the lower end of cals 1200-1400 and say its enough. What do you typically eat in a day?