Let's Talk Supplements + Their Effects

I was wondering what kind of supplements you guys are taking on this forum and the effects. There's lots of stuff on the internet that is being written so I thought a thread that had real comments on things they've tried and the results would be helpful to anyone looking into it; weather it's weight loss, weight gain, or even overall fitness and health.

I'll start by saying that I only take caffeine pills and fish oil as my supplements these days. I do a lot of fitness and combat sports so my joints need fish oil to help keep them as healthy as possible! And I only take caffeine as a preworkout or when I'm tired during that day because it's cheap as hell compared to other preworkouts out there and in all honesty, do just as well if not better.

So what do you guys take? :)

Replies

• rdl81
    rdl81 Posts: 220 Member
    Depends on how I am currently eating and training but I think nearly everyone would benefit from fish oil. Also if u live in the U.K. Like me vitamin d and a decent multi vitamin I guess
  • aashwill
    aashwill Posts: 64 Member
    Creatine and caffeine.
  • Lisa_Ookoo
    Lisa_Ookoo Posts: 134 Member
    Magnesium supplement helps reduce my leg cramps.
  • superstargalaxy
    superstargalaxy Posts: 21 Member
    rdl81 wrote: »
    Depends on how I am currently eating and training but I think nearly everyone would benefit from fish oil. Also if u live in the U.K. Like me vitamin d and a decent multi vitamin I guess

Right! Compeletly forgot about vitamin D. I live in Canada and over here we're actually lacking in Vitamin D even in the summer haha.
    Lisa_Ookoo wrote: »
    Magnesium supplement helps reduce my leg cramps.

Might start taking this for striking. Leg cramps happen at the worst time there haha
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    I take quite a few ;)

Magnesium
    Acidophilus
    Alpha Lipoic
    Biotin
    Black currant oil
    Krill oil
  • purple18194
    purple18194 Posts: 52 Member
    I dunno, does B100 Complex count? I take a pill every morning and it helps so much with my overall energy for the day
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Vitamin D and B12 (for deficiency)
    Fish Oil (cognitive/mental function, cholesterol regulation)
    Iron pills (periodically for borderline anemia)
    Calcium (osteo runs in my family and Depo can accelerate bone density loss)
    Caffeine pills (as a preworkout or a substitute for a caffeinated drink...can't do Stevia and artificial sweeteners because they set off migraines so this was the cheapest and easiest option)
    Whey Isolate
  • Archer2017
    Archer2017 Posts: 1,999 Member
    edited December 2016
    Magnesium complex. (Most important)
    Iron
    Vitamin D (5000 IU a day)
    Chromium (sometimes)
    Selenium
    Kelp/Iodine
    B-Complex
    Red Raspberry

BCAA for workouts, sometimes a vegan protein shake. I don't deal well with whey.

Sometimes I'll rotate other things in but these are my main poppers!

• shagerty777
    shagerty777 Posts: 185 Member
    Multi-vitamin, fish oil pills (reduce/aid my cholesterol), BCAA's (don't know if they help but I like a little flavor in my workout drink) and protein. I know that with better nutrition and exercise I'm down 50 pounds, lifting more all the time and my blood tests are now all in the normal range. I could cut the BCAA and protein out with real food but they are easy.
  • Skyblueyellow
    Skyblueyellow Posts: 225 Member
    Vitamin D. I live in the Northern US and am deficient. I take 50,000 IU a week.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    It depends. The quality of the supplement, your goals, what kind you're using.

I currently take daily:
    Creatine monohydrate 5g
    Citrulline Malate 6-8g
    Taurine 4g
    Caffeine 200mg
    Leucine 5g
    ISO-leucine 2.5g
    Valine 2.5g
    Whey concentrate 2-3 scoops roughly 56-84g
    Men's daily formula multi vitamin
  • ChelzFit
    ChelzFit Posts: 292 Member
    Vitamin C and D
    Magnisum
    Glucosamine
    Whey Protein
    Caffine before workout
    Multi Vitamin
    Calcium Pills
  • Grey_1
    Grey_1 Posts: 1,139 Member
    B-complex
    D3
    Whey protein

I tried a pre-workout sup, Legion Forge, back when I first got started, but hated the way it made me feel, and haven't used one since.
  • FatPorkyChop
    FatPorkyChop Posts: 83 Member
    Vitamine D
    Spirulina
    Chlorella
    Calcium
    Elevit
    Vitamine C
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Iron, because my iron levels are currently low. That's about it. I don't feel I need any other supplements.
  • Bentforkx
    Bentforkx Posts: 69 Member
    Whey Isolate ~30g/day
    Progressive Multivitamin 55+ Men 3caps/day
    Progressive Omegessential (fish Oil) 10 ml/day
  • lewisle2016
    lewisle2016 Posts: 3 Member
    Im not taking ànything as ive heard they arent worth the money. Trying to balance using the macro feedback and adjust my dietary intake.
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    I steer clear of supplements. Seems like there is nothing but bad things on the news about them.

Plus all they really make is expensive urine.

Real food is the way to go in my opinion.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    bcalvanese wrote: »
    I steer clear of supplements. Seems like there is nothing but bad things on the news about them.

Plus all they really make is expensive urine.

Real food is the way to go in my opinion.

You are grossly misinformed.