What do you all eat? Especially when that 3rd wave of grilled chicken won't cut it

I'm not a big meat eater... i will eat an occasional burger, but not often... i eat chicken mainly. I have a hard time with fish due to the taste... ive tried most to get away from the fishy taste amd smell, but havemt found one that i can sustain. What do you all eat on a given day? How do you fought off that urge to binge on whatever you are eating? I enjoy chicken a great deal, like rice, sweet potatoes etc... but can only eat it so much.

On a daily basis (average), here is my meal makeup...

B- peanut butter toast (35calorie bread)
MS- banana
Lunch- pb and js, chips, fruit or leftover grilled chicken from night before
AS-some sort of bar
Dinner-grilled chicken, rice, or potato... or some sort of casserole the wife makes...

Do you guys also pound water? Does that help curb your appetite?

Replies

• ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    I like chicken a lot, too. And I eat a lot of it. I don't get tired of it, though, because I fix it lots of ways. I would get tired of grilled chicken every day, too, honestly. Tikka masala, chicken mole on acorn squash, lemon chicken on braised cabbage, chicken Marsala, meatballs made with chicken instead of beef/pork (great in soups or pasta dishes), moo goo gain pan, green chile stew, chicken chili, and on and on.

I don't know what to say about not binging on what you made for dinner. Often binging is a mental thing more than just hunger. People binge form boredom or habit or good emotions or bad emotions like stress. I think the single most helpful thing anyone can do is be sure their calorie goal is appropriate (deficit not too aggressive)-- that will address real hunger. The mental part takes practice, like athletic conditioning.

Finally, staying hydrated is important. Sometimes dehydration feels like hunger. But gallons of water don't really suppress my appetite if my calories are too low.

It sounds like you are on the right path. Doublecheck your calorie goal for an appropriate rate of fat loss, and have fun experimenting in the kitchen. Cheers!
  • Richie2shoes
    Richie2shoes Posts: 412 Member
    If I don't have a plan, bad things happen so I plan out dinners every week. I try and do one vegetarian dinner per week, 2 fish, 2 chicken, 1 pork or beef and one meal of leftovers or take out. I pack leftovers for lunch. Breakfast is either yogurt/granola, and english muffin with pb and apple or oatmeal.
  • not_my_first_rodeo
    not_my_first_rodeo Posts: 311 Member
    My breakfasts rotate: homemade oatmeal, fruit with ricotta, apple with nut butter, eggs on the weekends
    Lunches are generally leftovers or salads
    Dinners--I eat pretty much everything. Just ... less of it.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    I eat the same foods I always did just in appropriate portion sizes for my goal.

Breakfast- Greek yogurt, granola bars, cereal with milk, sandwich, dinner leftovers, fruit, cottage cheese
    Lunch- sandwich, salad, or dinner leftovers
    Dinner- something different every night of the month. I have soup once a week usually. Casseroles, burgers, tacos, pizza, chicken thighs, pork, beans, pasta, rice, potatoes, vegetables, fruit, fish, bread, eggs, pancakes, oatmeal, etc.
    Snacks- things like fruit, chips, popcorn, pretzels, chocolate, cookies, granola bar, carrots, celery, broccoli, trail mix, deviled eggs, pickles, cottage cheese

I drink water or unsweetened with meals and whenever I am thirsty. I don't pound water.
    I don't binge on food. I was never a binge eater. I prelog and eat the portion I had planned. I try to get enough protein.

If you are having a lot of trouble maybe your goal is simply too agressive.
    Fill your plate with more low calorie vegetables or have a salad with your meal. Protein, fiber and fats usually help people feel satisfied. Are you getting enough of these things?
  • Grey_1
    Grey_1 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Almost every main meal I eat lots of veggies, every day, whether it's lunch or dinner.
    Lots of high fat foods as well. Since I've started that, my weight loss was faster and random hunger pangs far fewer.

Just a random sample of my day:
    Breakfast: 2-3 scrambled eggs - might add toast and real butter + bacon
    Lunch: Chicken Caesar salad or similar, with dressing
    Dinner: London broil/fish/ground burger/poultry for dinner with lots of veggies

Snacks include cashews/almonds/macadamia nuts, beef jerky, slice of pizza, oatmeal, toast with cheese etc...

Almost anything I want to eat as long as it fits within my Calorie restrictions for the day.

• everher
    everher Posts: 909 Member
    I eat totally different stuff from day to day.

In the past week I've had a cheese danish, ice cream, fruit, cookies, lasagna, bagels with cream cheese, Greek yogurt, a couple different salads, pizza, fried chicken, fried fish, green beans, red beans and rice, potatoes, eggs, turkey bacon, grits, etc.

It's never really the same. I am planning a burger for tomorrow too.
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    Breakfast:
    almond butter and jam/marmalade/jelly on whole grain toast, maybe skim milk, maybe a banana (most weekdays)
    2 eggs on lightly buttered whole grain toast (most weekend days)

Lunch:
    cheese and crackers, carrot sticks and cherry tomatoes (or some other raw vegetables), pickled beets or pickled asparagus, maybe an apple or piece of dark chocolate (most weekdays; many weekend days)

Dinner is highly variable; the list below is not exhaustive:
    thin crust pizza and either salad or kale chips
    meat (usually chicken, pork or steak) or fish, rice/potato and vegetable (usually something green)
    pasta with either tomato sauce or a veggie-rich meat sauce; probably salad on the side
    lasagna with salad
    Kielbassa or sausage with vegetables or salad and possibly perogies (4 for 200 cals)
    frittata (oven-baked egg dish) with salad or kale chips or vegetables
    hamburger with salad or kale chips

Our toddler *loves* kale chips and he also really likes Caesar salad (made with yogurt dressing; I take mine before the croutons go in), so we eat them quite a lot. He's also a huge fan of rice, peas and green beans so they are also common choices.

Be creative with the meat. We have drumsticks a lot, and you can season them all different kinds of ways. My favourite is marinated with Tandoori chicken paste and yogurt. There are also a surprising number of tasty sausages that are decently low calorie if you only have one (or a reasonable serving, in the case of the smoked ones where you buy one loop and chop it into pieces for everyone).
  • PeachesNcreamgal
    PeachesNcreamgal Posts: 357 Member
    edited December 2016
    My everyday diet is plant based. I love boneless chicken. But I can't stand chicken cooked by me it almost ends up tasting gross lol. I love chicken in indian and Chinese takeout which I treat myself to once a month. I eat lots of dal(lentils) and spinach with cottage cheese is my absolute comfort food. I drink 8-10 glasses of water a day. I do it for vanity reasons.
    P. S I hate fish too! But I love the curry with rice. Yum!!!
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Well, here is an example of what I had yesterday:
    peanut butter and banana oatmeal for breakfast, zucchini with lentils and roasted garlic + mashed potatoes for lunch, vegan chili + white rice for dinner, snacks: 3 Oreos, 4 tomatoes, mini sandwich with hummus and cucumber.

If you only like chicken, it can be made a million ways, you don't have to always have it grilled the same way, but if you want to take a break from it all together you can still do that and have tasty nutritious meals.
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    OP, your deficit may be too large for your height, weight, and activity level. Have you plugged in your stats for losing slightly less per week than you do now (1 pound a week instead of 2, for example)? Do you ever take a temporary "diet break" and eat at maintenance calorie level? If you are fighting off an urge to binge regularly you might want to up daily calories by a little. It can make a difference.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Why on earth did someone flag my previous post?! The OP asked what we ate in a typical week and I shared what I eat, how can that be considered forum abuse?
  • DebSozo
    Why on earth did someone flag my previous post?! The OP asked what we ate in a typical week and I shared what I eat, how can that be considered forum abuse?

I couldn't figure that out either. It is perfectly fine.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    edited December 2016
    DebSozo wrote: »

Ok, good-I thought I was going crazy lol. So weird!
  • Brocksterdanza
    Brocksterdanza Posts: 208 Member
    Not sure either crzycat... didn't see anything at all wrong with it. Keep up the good advice
  • vanmep
    vanmep Posts: 406 Member
    Yesterday I had oatmeal with a scoop of protein powder for breakfast, quiche for lunch, lasagna and salad for supper, for snacks I ate granola, yogurt, tangerine and a nanaimo bar.
  • DebSozo
    edited December 2016

DebSozo wrote: »

Ok, good-I thought I was going crazy lol. So weird!

Maybe they will remove it. Or you could report it to mods and have them remove the flag.
  • duddysdad
    duddysdad Posts: 402 Member
    My days are mostly the same.

Breakfast - Turkey sausage & cheese in a low-carb wrap - 200 calories.
    Snack - Either some Greek yogurt, or an apple - 65-130 calories.
    Lunch - Frozen Meal + a can of sliced carrots - 305 calories.
    Snack - Low-carb wrap with ham, cottage cheese, mustard, and dill. 170 calories.
    Snack - Apple - 65-80 calories, depending on weight.
    Dinner - Either a frozen meal, lean Hot Pocket, hot dog, or another breakfast wrap. - 200-300 calories.
    Drinks - 8-16oz of whole milk - 150-300 calories.
    Dessert - Snack size candy such as Hershey chocolate, or Kit Kat. - 70-140 calories.