Artificial sweetners

I have tried Stevia and Splenda for baking. They all taste horrible. Any suggestions that don't have a bad after taste?

Replies

• 2011rocket3touring
    2011rocket3touring Posts: 1,346 Member
    I would have suggested Stevia; I do not notice an after taste.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Have you used the Splenda specifically made for baking, and used the appropriate amount? I haven't noticed a significant difference when doing that. On the other hand, using everyday Splenda has been hit-or-miss.
  • jaw783
    jaw783 Posts: 40 Member
    Yes I have. Thanks for the suggestion though!
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    I use Stevia with just a tiny bit of honey or real brown sugar. That seems offset the aftertaste. Also, I found that Stevia is very sensitive to portions. For 1 cup of sugar in a recipe, I will use 1 tbsp Stevia and abotu 1/2 tbsp honey or brown sugar.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,084 Member
    I find Stevia aftertaste varies from product to product. I am guessing it has a lot to do with people's palate as well. I personally get a pure stevia powder from purebulk.com and don't notice an aftertaste, but I don't think it would work for baking. I only use it to sweeten some of my teas and my protein shakes.
  • Skyblueyellow
    Skyblueyellow Posts: 225 Member
    I personally do not like artificial sugars in my baking. I think it makes it taste weird and have yet to find one that I can handle. Honestly, I would just rather have one cookie that tastes really great than one the tastes "meh".
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    I used to follow the cookie recipe on the bag of Equal Sugar Lite. I'm not even sure if it exists anymore. It was an equal/sugar blend, better for baking since sugar is a major component in the build and the chemical reaction of most recipes. Anyway, those were some damn good cookies. Nobody could tell the difference.

I always find it's best to find tested recipes using substitutes, rather than trying to sub it yourself.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    edited December 2016
    Have you tried sucralose--liquid Splenda? Some people dislike the maltodextrin used to make granular Splenda 1:1 with sugar. Liquid Splenda has no maltodextrin and is more concentrated. Less product=less aftertaste.

Also, have you tried substituting half Sucralose half stevia? That cuts any aftertaste by half.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    I don't like the aftertaste of stevia or stevia blends.
    I use swerve swervesweetener.com/
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Stevia gives me crazy heartburn. Splenda tastes a little wrong in baking. So I mix Splenda and proper baking sugar depending on my needs.
  • awkwardbae
    awkwardbae Posts: 35 Member
    Erythritol is the best thing I've tried, seriously I don't understand why doesn't everyone replace sugar with it. 0 calories, as close to sugar in taste as it gets and it doesn't raise your glycemic index. I buy mine from iherb
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    awkwardbae wrote: »
    Erythritol is the best thing I've tried, seriously I don't understand why doesn't everyone replace sugar with it. 0 calories, as close to sugar in taste as it gets and it doesn't raise your glycemic index. I buy mine from iherb

Isn't Erythritol one of those that gives some people gas and diarrhea? Definitely might explain why not everyone uses it.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member

Isn't Erythritol one of those that gives some people gas and diarrhea? Definitely might explain why not everyone uses it.

Me me me!!! That's why I don't use it.
  • Troutrouter1968
    Troutrouter1968 Posts: 122 Member
    You can never replace sugar in baked goods no matter what anyone says...lol
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    jaw783 wrote: »
    I have tried Stevia and Splenda for baking. They all taste horrible. Any suggestions that don't have a bad after taste?

I don't like Splenda all that well.

But, I love my Stevia and bake just fine with it.

I tried baking with Equal, and it's horrible. Agave nectar is great to bake with, but it's not calorie free.

• SLLRunner
    MissusMoon wrote: »
    Stevia gives me crazy heartburn. Splenda tastes a little wrong in baking. So I mix Splenda and proper baking sugar depending on my needs.

I mix stevia with baking sugar sometime as well. It tastes great mixed with brown sugar.
  • SLLRunner

Me me me!!! That's why I don't use it.

I've never heard of Erythritol. I don't think I want to try it either because of my digestive problems.
  • SLLRunner
    You can never replace sugar in baked goods no matter what anyone says...lol

A true sugar warrior! :D
  • Troutrouter1968
    Troutrouter1968 Posts: 122 Member
    It's true lol