Day 1 of Keto/LCHF diet...

Replies

• ibarra97adriana
    ibarra97adriana Posts: 8 Member
    I would love give this Keto diet a try!
  • hadirk
    hadirk Posts: 48 Member
    I started my Keto diet 8 days ago, and I'm down 8lbs already. I know that most of it is water weight now but i'm very optimistic.
  • coledrum
    coledrum Posts: 6 Member
    edited December 2016
    Restarting keto on Monday, I tried for a week and didn't lose a single pound event though I did some lifting/light cardio 3 days. is there a magic number for calories? Understand you want 75% fat, 20% Protein and 5% Carbs but not sure how to figure total of calories I should put in for my goal in fitnesspal calculator, right now I have 2500. I am 42 yr old male , 5'9" 237 lbs. Would like to get back under 200 again, I have tried so many other diets just can't get the weight to come off. Also, I am pre-diabetic, high cholesterol and sleep apnea so hoping keto could be the answer as well. Any thoughts on calories would be appreciated, also planning to join the LCD group for ideas.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    @coledrum you still need to eat at a deficit while doing keto.. You can lose, gain or maintain on low carb.
    How many calories does mfp give you to lose weight? Whatever number that is, is how many calories you need to eat.

Yes, low carb can help with reducing cravings and appetite, but it is not magic. You still need to watch those pesky calories :smile:
  • coledrum
    edited December 2016
    I just put in the percentages for keto I found online then added 2500 as goal calories. I don't remember where but found 2500 calorie amount somewhere for my weight in an article. My Fitness PAL suggests 1740 calories but also suggest the following macro - 50% carbs, 30% fat, 20% protein which is the opposite of keto. I did just find a keto calorie calculator showing I should be at 1940 calories to lose 2lbs a week so I am going to shift my goal to 1940 see if that makes a difference. I also do have to admit I struggled this first week to keep carbs under 30 gram per day, I have been as low as 36 and high as 67 so I know I need to work on that. So do I go with the MFP macro or stay with keto?
  • Christine_72
    coledrum wrote: »
    I just put in the percentages for keto I found online then added 2500 as goal calories. I don't remember where but found 2500 calorie amount somewhere for my weight in an article. My Fitness PAL suggests 1740 calories but also suggest the following macro - 50% carbs, 30% fat, 20% protein which is the opposite of keto. I did just find a keto calorie calculator showing I should be at 1940 calories to lose 2lbs a week so I am going to shift my goal to 1940 see if that makes a difference. I also do have to admit I struggled this first week to keep carbs under 30 gram per day, I have been as low as 36 and high as 67 so I know I need to work on that. So do I go with the MFP macro or stay with keto?

Are those TDEE calculators where you include your exercise? Or do they use NEAT which does not include exercise, which is the formula mfp uses.

My advice... Plug your stats in here, eat the calories it gives you, log your food.

• coledrum
    edited December 2016
    I went to http://www.mydreamshape.com/keto-calculator/ So with my weight/height/age the numbers I get - Metabolic Rate = 2,138 calories to maintain my current weight of 237. To lose 2 lbs a week 1,138 calories. Then when I select light activity (exercise 1-3 days week) = 2940 calories to maintain my current weight and 1,940 to lose 2 lbs a week.
  • Christine_72
    I went to http://www.mydreamshape.com/keto-calculator/ So with my weight/height/age the numbers I get - Metabolic Rate = 1,138 calories then when I select light activity (exercise 1-3 days week) = 1940 calories

Does that 1940 calories include your deficit? eg how much you have to eat to lose. Or is it your total daily energy expenditure? How many calories does Myfitnesspal give you to lose weight?

• coledrum
    Sorry to hi-jack this post but here is the info and what is confusing in that this is a keto thread- My Fitness PAL suggests 1740 calories but suggests a traditional diet macro - 50% carbs, 30% fat, 20% protein which is the opposite of keto.
  • Christine_72
    You can change the macros to whatever numbers you want.
  • RocheBeukes
    RocheBeukes Posts: 12 Member
    My advice is to change your lifestyle, your diet needs to be sustainable for life otherwise once you stop you will just regain it again. A lot of these low carb, high fat, high protein diets result in people getting hypercholesterolaemia resulting in heart disease and strokes. We should stop making carbs the villain, a healthy diet needs carbs as fuel as well as proteins and fats. If your body is craving it it means it needs it to survive, just make sure you eat the healthy version of it.
  • coledrum
    edited December 2016
    My final thoughts on this, does the group suggest my fitness pal recommend 1740 calories with macro - 50% carbs, 30% fat, 20% protein or stay with keto macro 75% fat, 20% Protein and 5% Carbs?
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    My final thoughts on this, does the group suggest my fitness pal recommend 1740 calories with macro - 50% carbs, 30% fat, 20% protein or stay with keto macro 75% fat, 20% Protein and 5% Carbs?

That's broad. You should pic the one you can enjoy and stick to long term. That's literally all there is to it.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member

Do what works for you.

50% carbs is a disaster for me. For you, it might work. Or maybe somewhere in between is your sweet spot.
  • dasher602014
    dasher602014 Posts: 1,992 Member
    lots of advice over at:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

There are reference materials linked on that group's launch pad as well.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    edited December 2016

You're going to get different opinions -weight loss, weight gain and weight maintenance comes down to calories. Within that truth however, there are all sorts of paths. Some people like to do a straight calorie counting /tracking method and others prefer a low carb approach. Or Weight Watchers. Or Intermittent Fasting. And the list goes on.

You need to figure out what works for you long term, because weight loss means nothing if you can't sustain the loss. If following a very low carb path appeals to you then sure, go for it. But realize you don't have to go to extremes to lose the extra weight, you simply need to eat at the correct calorie deficit for your weight loss goals :)
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    My advice is to change your lifestyle, your diet needs to be sustainable for life otherwise once you stop you will just regain it again. A lot of these low carb, high fat, high protein diets result in people getting hypercholesterolaemia resulting in heart disease and strokes. We should stop making carbs the villain, a healthy diet needs carbs as fuel as well as proteins and fats. If your body is craving it it means it needs it to survive, just make sure you eat the healthy version of it.

Can't speak for others, but I have changed my lifestyle - to high fat, low carb. Lost 50lbs and have kept it off for over three years. Cholesterol, fasting blood glucose, and blood pressure have never been better (probably due to shedding 50 lbs!). My cholesterol profile has also improved over that which was taken in my early 20s (before I was overweight). Cutting the carbs reduced my triglycerides nicely, and boosted my HDL. So, no, I apparently don't need "healthy" carbs to survive. At least not more than the 50-80g per day that I choose to eat for fiber, micros, and variety, anyway. So, no, LCHF diets do not necessarily lead to yo-yoing weight, or high cholesterol.

As for the last bit about "cravings = your body needs it to survive" - I craved cigarettes something fierce while I was quitting.... Does that mean my body needed those too? Or was my body simply getting used to something new/different and I just needed to ride it out until I got used to my new normal? (Not that I'm comparing carbs to nicotine, just pointing out the absurdity of cravings=you must need it/you will die without it. We crave lots of things we don't need to survive).

• leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    tlflag1620 wrote: »

Can't speak for others, but I have changed my lifestyle - to high fat, low carb. Lost 50lbs and have kept it off for over three years. Cholesterol, fasting blood glucose, and blood pressure have never been better (probably due to shedding 50 lbs!). My cholesterol profile has also improved over that which was taken in my early 20s (before I was overweight). Cutting the carbs reduced my triglycerides nicely, and boosted my HDL. So, no, I apparently don't need "healthy" carbs to survive. At least not more than the 50-80g per day that I choose to eat for fiber, micros, and variety, anyway. So, no, LCHF diets do not necessarily lead to yo-yoing weight, or high cholesterol.

As for the last bit about "cravings = your body needs it to survive" - I craved cigarettes something fierce while I was quitting.... Does that mean my body needed those too? Or was my body simply getting used to something new/different and I just needed to ride it out until I got used to my new normal? (Not that I'm comparing carbs to nicotine, just pointing out the absurdity of cravings=you must need it/you will die without it. We crave lots of things we don't need to survive).

I think this is probably due to weight loss because when I went vegetarian (high carb) all of my blood work improved as well and I have a history of heart disease in my family.

Two totally opposite diets yet same improved blood work.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    edited December 2016

I think this is probably due to weight loss because when I went vegetarian (high carb) all of my blood work improved as well and I have a history of heart disease in my family.

Yep, losing 50lbs via a intermittent fasting protocol greatly improved all my health markers, including getting pre-diabetic glucose numbers down into the normal range. My total cholesterol is now also down to 143. Just goes to show 3 different people chosing 3 different paths and having good outcomes :)
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member

Yes, that's why I said the recent improvement in my numbers was most likely due to losing the weight, not necessarily due to the diet itself. The improvement in my cholesterol profile, otoh, I attribute to low carb. I'm 15 years older, but the same height and weight as I was when tested in my late teens-early twenties, but my triglycerides and HDL have improved since then. Only real difference is cutting the carbs and eating more calories from fat. I was really just pointing out that low carb does not mean your cholesterol will rise. In fact, in my case, it's better not only in total (due to weight loss), but my ratios have improved even over what it was when I was was 15 years younger and the same weight as I am now. So, no, contrary to what RocheBeukes seems to think, I'm not a heart attack waiting to happen ;)