Maintaining Weight during the winter

m have been doing my 2 walks everyday one in the morning for an hour and one in the afternoon, but when it starts to get colder won't be able to do it everyday. Is it hard to maintain weight. I can't do much due to medication

Replies

• nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    I have that problem too. Some communities have schools that will let you walk their gyms. Almost all malls do. I used to go to Lowes or Home Depot or Walmart and just walk their aisles. It's warm.
  • chrisfuentes2005
    chrisfuentes2005 Posts: 295 Member
    HappyGrape wrote: »
    Reduce calories. Balance of both really - calorie burn/calorie intake. you can put some music on and dance like no one is watching too!

Is it hard? Well honestly some days are easy some aren't. It's not as hard as feeling bad about yourself or being overweight. Maintaining is much easier in my opinion

but easy doesn't mean no effort required

Thanks, the thing is im just worry about gaining weight.
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    I love the suggestion to go walk at the mall or a big store! Do you have a step tracker so you can meet a daily step goal?
  • girlgroves
    girlgroves Posts: 235 Member
    Seajolly wrote: »
    go walk at the mall

I walk every lunchtime in the park next to where I work - and I manage to get out whatever the weather, because when it's really tipping down with rain I go stride up and down the nearby shopping centre instead - I don't get nearly half as wet!

OP - when it starts to get colder couldn't you just wear more clothes? I really, REALLY feel the cold anyway, but I'm currently wrapping up in loads of layers, hats, scarves, gloves, using handwarmers, etc to go out. I also find that the faster I walk the warmer I get!
  • tiff12tiff12
    tiff12tiff12 Posts: 10 Member
    I walk a lot at work, we have 5 huge buildings. On the weekends it's very hard to get in all my steps so I go to the mall or Target, anywhere indoors where I can get all my steps in. I take just enough money for a snack so I don't spend. During the holidays the mall is super busy of course which is good and bad. Good because the time goes fast with so much to see and bad because you have groups of people who walk 4-5 across, strollers, etc.
    I know it's hard but there are always ways to get it in! good luck :)
  • HappyGrape
    HappyGrape Posts: 436 Member

It's natural to be worried, that's perfectly ok! Keep an eye on the scale and adjust the plan as needed. You can do it, and it's great that you are looking for ideas!

• peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Decrease the calories. Don't eat back exercise calories.
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Just wondering why you feel you would not be able to do it every day when it gets colder.
    Weather patterns are different in the worl I do realise this but I walk to and from work close to an hour each way.
    Weather needs to be at code red (meaning stay inside here) before I stop that. I have walked to work in pouring rain and through a snowfall up to my knees in places. Lots of layers, fantastic raingear and goretex shoes are my secret.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    I walked in -- not one -- but two hurricanes this Summer to keep my 10k+ step per day streak alive. Cold is worse, but I do it anyway. Perhaps a short term membership to a gym or club with treadmills is your answer.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    m have been doing my 2 walks everyday one in the morning for an hour and one in the afternoon, but when it starts to get colder won't be able to do it everyday. Is it hard to maintain weight. I can't do much due to medication

I generally put on 8-10 Lbs every winter due to the fact that my activity overall goes on the decline. As exercise goes, I primarily cycle and I'm kind of a fare weather guy so my rides tend to diminish as the weather gets colder...I'm trying to rectify that this year in that I bought an indoor trainer so I don't really have any excuses on that front.

But the other issue goes beyond exercise...during warmer months, I'm just more active generally...out with the kids at the zoo on the weekend or out hiking in the mountains or at the pool, etc...in the winter you're more likely to find me at the movies or watching the game.

Fortunately, the weight tends to come off as soon as we get into Spring...but I'm hoping this year that with my trainer and a few other tricks up my sleeve and eating well that I'll drop the 10 Lbs I already put on being injured...I certainly can't afford to put on 10 more winter Lbs.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    YouTube workout videos...there are lots of low impact options. Otherwise, bundle up and get outside.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    HappyGrape wrote: »
    Reduce calories. Balance of both really - calorie burn/calorie intake. you can put some music on and dance like no one is watching too!

Is it hard? Well honestly some days are easy some aren't. It's not as hard as feeling bad about yourself or being overweight. Maintaining is much easier in my opinion

but easy doesn't mean no effort required

Cold dark days suck. I think most of us are concerned about maintaining and not gaining during these winter days, which is the reason for the great suggestions shared. There is no benefit in worrying, set a plan and follow it. Reevaluate and readjust as needed.
  • chrisfuentes2005
    chrisfuentes2005 Posts: 295 Member
    Just wondering why you feel you would not be able to do it every day when it gets colder.
    Weather patterns are different in the worl I do realise this but I walk to and from work close to an hour each way.
    Weather needs to be at code red (meaning stay inside here) before I stop that. I have walked to work in pouring rain and through a snowfall up to my knees in places. Lots of layers, fantastic raingear and goretex shoes are my secret.

I have to be careful when its really cold, I have no circulation with my hands or feet from radiation when I was little. So no matter what they will be cold
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Thank goodness for indoor workouts, that's what keeps me going, its either those or wrap up and get out there...
  • JoeCWV
    JoeCWV Posts: 213 Member
    If what you want to do is walk simply drive to the nearest Walmart, preferably between midnight and 8AM. Start doing laps. I suggest the times as this is when you will encounter fewer people to slow you down. Do laps for an hour if that's your goal then drive home. Problem solved. You will likely only burn a couple hundred calories so you could also simply cut back a bit on your calories. your call.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    I put on around 4kgs this last winter, I still exercised the same as i usually do but I ate more. I just couldn't outrun my diet! I'm working on losing it again now (it's summer here) and so far so good.
  • GuineaKitty
    GuineaKitty Posts: 97 Member
    I don't like to be outside in cold weather. Today I walked in the house and climbed stairs. After the 10th time going up I was hot. I did that 30 times it was a great workout.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Bundle up and go. 2 years ago I was walking every day, no matter the weather... Get some gloves, a hat, and a good coat, and you'll be fine. Besides you really warm up when you move.

I even walked 12 miles in NYC with -30 degree windchills - I just had layers all over and it was fine.

I got a stationary bike and do that instead now though (I did have a couple walks in the cold this week still, and really enjoyed them).