Fat Shamed By Santa Claus

Replies

• Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    dbanks80 wrote: »
    as sad as it is, if i was this child's mother i would use the situation to have a convo with him about his weight/eating habits. not santas place for sure, but somebody should be parenting this child and helping him make better food decisions. instead, she has this kid playing the victim and getting pity. in my opinion, the mother is the only person to put blame on in this story.

Did you take a look at the mom. Someone needs to school her first about eating habits.

Shocker, right?
  • toned_thugs_n_harmony
    toned_thugs_n_harmony Posts: 1,001 Member
    dbanks80 wrote: »
    as sad as it is, if i was this child's mother i would use the situation to have a convo with him about his weight/eating habits. not santas place for sure, but somebody should be parenting this child and helping him make better food decisions. instead, she has this kid playing the victim and getting pity. in my opinion, the mother is the only person to put blame on in this story.

Did you take a look at the mom. Someone needs to school her first about eating habits.

nah i didn't even see her, but that's exactly my point. instead of addressing the problem, she teaches her kid how to play the victim.

i don't condone what santa said BUT he is NOT the problem.
  • gemdiver00
    gemdiver00 Posts: 77 Member
    edited December 2016
    km8907 wrote: »
    I don't believe in "shaming", but suggesting a kid should drop a few pounds isn't shaming, that's just good advice. that kid is like 11, and weighs as much as some full grown men. He was probably just looking out for the kid.

The kid is 9, and he told him to lay off the burgers and french fries. It's wasn't helpful, it wasn't out of loving concern, it was downright mean. I'm sure that kid probably gets bullied enough at school, he shouldn't hear it from Santa.

Agreed. Probably could have handled that a little more tactfully. Some people are so weird though. If you see a child running out in front of a car, and don't try to stop them, everybody freaks out, and says, why didn't you do anything? However, if you mention to a parent that their child's eating habits are going to make them unhealthy, they tell you to mind your own business and freak out over that too...double-edge sword I guess.

The mom looks like the kind of person who would give you lip if told her kid to stop running in front of a car. Here's her picture;

90dbefd0-7bca-4660-9d57-7a64ac5f19ac-BADSANTA530VOSOT_frame_4177.png
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Mom looks quite young herself. Not real sure how to come up with a conclusion or best outcome with out a video of the whole incident..

Everything is on camera now, how come this was not?
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    edited December 2016
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    I wonder if the kid believes in Santa at his age still?

At nine years of age?

Geez... I hope not.

I wondered why the kid was interacting with the Santa anyway.

Again, we are only seeing one side of the story. I hate the media and have not watched the actual news in years for this reason. It is always twisted to make a good story regardless of what really happened. Not to mention it is usually depressing.

Yep, we haven't heard the Santa's side of the story although it would be difficult to explain this kind of treatment to a nine year old.

If the kid was nineteen it might be different. ... but he wasn't.

Maybe the Santa was clowning? Dunno. It doesn't matter really.

Let's hope the parent(s) use this as a teaching moment.

I am not at all condoning what Santa said but simply saying we don't know the whole story. Which I think we agree on. For all we know, the kid could have asked Santa how to become thinner. We don't know.
  • Motorsheen

At nine years of age?

Geez... I hope not.

Again, we are only seeing one side of the story. I hate the media and have not watched the actual news in years for this reason. It is always twisted to make a good story regardless of what really happened. Not to mention it is usually depressing.

Yep, we haven't heard the Santa's side of the story although it would be difficult to explain this kind of treatment to a nine year old.

I am not at all condoning what Santa said but simple saying we don't know the whole story. Which I think we agree on. For all we know, the kid could have asked Santa how to become thinner. We don't know.

Yep, we agree 100%

Just a wild guess on my part but... maybe the Santa was annoyed that the kid was nine years old instead of much younger and made what he thought was a witty comment, that wasn't.

We've all said things that we regret. I would have just engaged a filter before cracking wise to a nine year old.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited December 2016

At nine years of age?

Geez... I hope not.

I am not at all condoning what Santa said but simply saying we don't know the whole story. Which I think we agree on. For all we know, the kid could have asked Santa how to become thinner. We don't know.

i live by this: there is always three sides to every story... yours, mine and the truth..

I just dispise the media, hate the news and watch netflix now at dinner.. sometimes I will hear about something on the news a week later and have no idea something happened.. I know i am shameful but the news is depressing and all lies to me!
  • toned_thugs_n_harmony
    toned_thugs_n_harmony Posts: 1,001 Member
    Those blaming the kid or the mom need your head examined. This is the problem with our country.

1. This is taken out of context perhaps... it would be good if CNN published the whole story and the natural flow of events. But no, they did it just like during the trayvon martin episode. Flash a headline for the shock value.
    2. If the kid or the mom are fat, that is their *kitten* business, it's nobody's place to have an opinion on that. You're just projecting the demons of your inner fattie, whose very existence scares you.

last i checked, everyone is entitled to have an opinion on whatever the eff they please.
  • MsAmandaNJ
    MsAmandaNJ Posts: 1,248 Member

At nine years of age?

Geez... I hope not.

Absolutely, it could've been his Christmas wish. Mom wasn't right there and can't be a witness, the kid told her what was said after. I do hope mom got the message, though, and helps her son develop a healthy life. Santa can't take it back, the kid can't unhear those words, but I also can't take back the boxes of cakes I used to eat in secret.
  • Motorsheen

At nine years of age?

Geez... I hope not.

i live by this: there is always three sides to every story... yours, mine and the truth..

I just dispise the media, hate the news and watch netflix now at dinner.. sometimes I will hear about something on the news a week later and have no idea something happened.. I know i am shameful but the news is depressing and all lies to me!

By its very nature, news is negative.

When it's positive, it's called Public Relations.
  • vaman
    vaman Posts: 253 Member

I've always felt like when they're that young, the parent almost doesn't even need to say anything to the child. They're the ones that are responsible for what he's eating so if anyone should be spoken to (albeit not in a horrible way like this Santa decided), it should be his parents. They're the ones who could make a significant change for the better. How is a 9 year old supposed to fully comprehend health issues when I'm sure he barely understands his own body at this point.

• vaman
    vaman wrote: »

I've always felt like when they're that young, the parent almost doesn't even need to say anything to the child. They're the ones that are responsible for what he's eating so if anyone should be spoken to (albeit not in a horrible way like this Santa decided), it should be his parents. They're the ones who could make a significant change for the better. How is a 9 year old supposed to fully comprehend health issues when I'm sure he barely understands his own body at this point.

I totally agree! The parents control or at least should control what the child eats.
  • MsAmandaNJ
    MsAmandaNJ Posts: 1,248 Member
    Those blaming the kid or the mom need your head examined. This is the problem with our country.

1. This is taken out of context perhaps... it would be good if CNN published the whole story and the natural flow of events. But no, they did it just like during the trayvon martin episode. Flash a headline for the shock value.
    2. If the kid or the mom are fat, that is their *kitten* business, it's nobody's place to have an opinion on that. You're just projecting the demons of your inner fattie, whose very existence scares you.

last i checked, everyone is entitled to have an opinion on whatever the eff they please.
    So when you get out of your house, you look at all the fat people and demote them to second grade human beings status just because they look big?

pretty sure that's not what the eff i said. AT ALL.
    Then why is the boy or the mom's weight even a subject of conversation rather than bad Santa's transgressions?

I'd have assumed people would empathize with a 9 year old whose humiliation is now national news. Perhaps not.

Of course we empathize with how he felt. We can do that as well as SEE that his feelings aren't the only issue.

Tell me, kind sir, HOW did this become national news?
  • km8907
    km8907 Posts: 3,861 Member
    edited December 2016

I totally agree! The parents control or at least should control what the child eats.

Did you just agree with yourself?

OK I see what you tried to do.
  • vaman
    I sure did! That wasn't my intent at all, I just did a very bad job at quoting... ;)
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Is this the "fake news" we've been hearing so much about?