The middle agers group. (Upper 30s,40s & 50ish folks)

Replies

• itismedrz
    itismedrz Posts: 4 Member
    RxDreamer2 wrote: »
    RxDreamer2 wrote: »
    Any suggestions for aching knees?
    -had surgery in May
    -have arthritis (ack that sounds old)
    -use knee sleeve/supports daily at Crossfit
    -use Salanpos (I smell like a locker room)
    -don't squat below 90 any longer...yet ;)
    -take glucosamine RSP supplement
    -wear awesome running shoes
    Anything I'm missing here that could help with knee pain???

Are you using flat shoes (e.g.: squat shoes) for your squats and other weight lifting? Running shoes (unless zero-drop) will change your geometry a little putting some extra force forward, which may be felt in your knee, and the extra cushioning from a running shoe can provide some odd foot rolling which may also load the knees with some odd dynamics. Just a thought...

No! I'm not! I never thought of that. I hadn't want to invest in Nanos or other lifting shoes bc I thought they'd do more harm than good. I never thought of that. And yes....my feet do shift inside my shoes during lifts.
    Thank you so much! I knew someone on here would have some wisdom.

Good advice, I use solid heel lifting shoes for squats and go shoeless or use flats (converse Chucks) for deadlifts. I also need to allow more recovery time if going over 70% of my 1RM max for reps. I go 14 days between heavy lifts (4-5 sets of 3 or 4 reps) on a joint. I'm 53 though. between I will do a similar movement but keep the reps in the 12-15 range. Good Luck!
  • mariebibby
    mariebibby Posts: 2 Member
    Glad I have found my age group :) I'm too near to 50 and a complete newbie to weight training, but love it! Once I'm stronger I would like to get into cycling and join a group next year. Be great to buddy up with a beginner too. I'm in Liverpool and happy to add with anyone close by :)
  • Docwaiee
    Docwaiee Posts: 2 Member
    Turning 49 in ten days :) Hello to all...feel free to add me
  • pandahead76
    pandahead76 Posts: 122 Member
    Hello there folks how goes the day?

Totally on target today. Got a good upper body workout done as well as some time on the elliptical. Eats are where I want them to be. Now onto family night with hubs and kiddos. :D
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Hey there people how's it going?

Decided to indulge last night during date night with my husband. I finally tracked the meal, and nearly passed out! Not gonna do that again!

Biggest thing there was the dinner rolls. Did you actually have 4, or did you just enter a portion size not realizing what it consisted of?
  • pandahead76
    pandahead76 Posts: 122 Member
    edited December 2016
    TonyB0588 wrote: »
    Hey there people how's it going?

Decided to indulge last night during date night with my husband. I finally tracked the meal, and nearly passed out! Not gonna do that again!

Biggest thing there was the dinner rolls. Did you actually have 4, or did you just enter a portion size not realizing what it consisted of?

Sadly I actually had 4. We had a 30 minute wait, and food service was pretty slow (the place was insanely busy). I was famished and I decided that I was going to have a straight up free meal. (Wasn't going to track it; had a change of heart the next day.) I was already pretty full by the time our salads arrived, but I still ate it. When our steaks came, I was so stuffed, I only had a couple bites and took the rest to go.

Lesson learned. I'm going to pre-track date night dinners from now on. I don't mind going over target once in a great while, but only by a bit, not 1500 calories! :open_mouth:
  • mhdashler
    mhdashler Posts: 103 Member
    43 here, trying to restart my fitness journey and could use some friends looking for mutual encouragement and accountability.
  • PerwinkleSummer
    PerwinkleSummer Posts: 17 Member
    Please add me.
  • cory17
    cory17 Posts: 1,341 Member
    hi all, 55 here and also restarting getting fit. and getting my LDL down.

Add me, thanks!
  • renegarza001
    renegarza001 Posts: 1 Member
    Hello everyone !!
  • iris2811
    iris2811 Posts: 124 Member
    mariebibby wrote: »
    Glad I have found my age group :) I'm too near to 50 and a complete newbie to weight training, but love it! Once I'm stronger I would like to get into cycling and join a group next year. Be great to buddy up with a beginner too. I'm in Liverpool and happy to add with anyone close by :)

Hi Marie
    if you want to start or get back into cycling try Breeze Rides https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/recreation/article/20141110-Breeze-bike-rides-for-women-0
    to search for a ride make sure you click women only on the search options - there may well be a facebook page or group for your local area too. We've got a quite active group here where many women have made contacts and often go out on rides together that are not organised. Be warned a coffee and cake stop is often a part of the agenda :-) but once you start getting some miles that is no problem anyway and no-one minds if you don't part-take in the cake eating.
    If you struggle getting started or want some advice please don't hesitate to contact me :-)

• BABYLILAC
    BABYLILAC Posts: 148 Member
    Thirtynine
  • firemanlang668
    firemanlang668 Posts: 9 Member
    Hello all i'm 4,1 i'm 4 months in to a total body transformation
  • newt04
    newt04 Posts: 1 Member
    I am 40. I am 3 months in my fitness journey and hit a plateau. I'm looking for people to keep each other motivated. I would like to lose 50 pounds, build muscle, and just feel better all around as a lifestyle!
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Its great seeing so many active people here.

Tuesdays are double session days for me. HIIT session with trainer done this morning. Tonight's track workout will be a couple mile warm up, then four miles of fun. Sixteen continuous 400s, alternating back and forth between 5k threshold pace and marathon pace, followed by a mile cool down.

I'm starting to think that training for a winter marathon was not my brightest idea. ;)
  • Matt200goal
    Matt200goal Posts: 481 Member
    44 & fighting it :)
  • hilaryprzy
    hilaryprzy Posts: 13 Member
    46 add me
  • YinxFed
    YinxFed Posts: 1,043 Member
    53 here. Can I join please?
  • ArkadyRose
    ArkadyRose Posts: 16 Member
    Almost 44 here (birthday is at the end of the month), mother of 3 (24, 22, 9, all girls) and as of Sunday night a grandmother of one boy! I've started C25K, planning to take up climbing at a nearby climbing gym in the new year (a friend is already a member there and can show me the ropes - pun totally intended), and I want to climb Snowden next August. :-)
  • sdereski
    sdereski Posts: 3,406 Member
    Good morning middle agers. :D
    Got a 5 1/2 mile run / walk in last night. Tough go as we got a fair bit of snow. It was like running in sand.