Trying to lose weight? What's your nutrition plan?

crimsongrey
crimsongrey Posts: 329 Member
What is everyone doing as far as food goes? I'm currently just logging and keeping my calories under the goal and trying to eat enough protein. Just wondering what you guys are doing.

Replies

• aconybelle
    aconybelle Posts: 20 Member
    I have a friend who lost lots of weight with the 5:2 diet. She's close to my age and she's been able to keep it off for years. She looks great, a real inspiration.
    So I'm trying that. You only eat 500 calories two days a week, the other 5 days you don't deny yourself, but you do try to keep it healthy and moderate.
  • snookb276
    snookb276 Posts: 121 Member
    @crimsongrey I have been trying to eat Within my calorie goal and focus on healthy oils and load up on fruits and veggies and fish as much as possible. My employer has a health website that has eating and exercise challenges to help improve lifestyle habits. One of the challenges was to go Mediterranean and had great recipes for things like Greek salad.
  • cessi0909
    cessi0909 Posts: 654 Member
    I had a little bit of a wake up call yesterday. I don't know why but I have been eating terribly now for months and have gained back over 15 pounds, creeping on 20. I am not ok with this and need to get it under control -- part of why I am here. I caught a glimpse of myself in a full length mirror yesterday and felt so uncomfortable. So, anyways my nutrition focus is on chilling out on the sweets and what I consider junk food (breakfast burritos, chips, dip) And having a personal goal of eating my full daily servings of fruits and vegetables. I also bought a food scale months ago and never used it, well, it is coming out now.
  • luckypony71
    luckypony71 Posts: 399 Member
    I lose faster when I have more protein, but find myself going overboard with carbs when I have a meltdown.

I think I do better when I log everything that goes into my mouth and avoid high sodium foods as much as possible.

Water is the most important factor for me. I drink it, I lose. I don't drink enough, I don't lose.
  • luckypony71
    luckypony71 Posts: 399 Member
    @cessi0909 I recently had that wake up call too. Originally lost 78 pounds. Gained back 28 and since I have been logging again, I have lost 1.
  • cessi0909
    @luckypony71 good for you getting back at it! It's frustrating when the weight creeps back on
  • cessi0909
    Welp....me, a neighbor and my daughter are starting the whole 30 on Jan. 3rd. I did one before and walked in with the wrong mindset so I want to give it another go. My daughter also has arthritis and can tell when her eating habits are getting not so great cause it makes her pain worse so we are both hoping this identifies what causes the most flare ups for her.
  • Here4Ponies
    Here4Ponies Posts: 116 Member
    I do best with a 30/30/40 split and lots of water so that is my focus in addition to staying within my calorie allotment. I struggle the most with meal prep. It is essential for staying on target but feels sooooo time consuming. Would love suggestions if anyone has this figured out. :)
  • snookb276
    snookb276 Posts: 121 Member
    @Here4Cookies Its hard to cook much on work days. I like to keep Whole Foods around that I can just cut up or steam. Apples and broccoli are my favorites. When I do have time I try to make something healthy that lasts a few days like a soup.
  • tmcoyle
    tmcoyle Posts: 168 Member
    I try to cook up chicken breasts, tilapia or some type of main dish on Sundays and divide up into meals so it is a grab n' go type meal. My husband cans the garden produce, so that is easy to grab n' go too. I buy California almonds (3 lb bag), soak in salt water for 10 minutes and then lay out on a cookie sheet and roast at 250 degrees for 30-45 minutes and then bag them into snack bags for an easy snack.
  • losergood2011
    losergood2011 Posts: 172 Member
    I follow a low carb plan mostly. but have lost 21 lbs on the Fast Metabolism Diet. I'm down 9 lbs in one week right now weigh in tomorrow. Lots of food. More carbs than I am used to and a bit of a pain. Otherwise I think I like the 5:2 LCHF version. Fasting is not an issue for me and I like protein and veggies. Lots of veggies!
  • jcraig10
    jcraig10 Posts: 477 Member
    cessi0909 wrote: »
    Welp....me, a neighbor and my daughter are starting the whole 30 on Jan. 3rd. I did one before and walked in with the wrong mindset so I want to give it another go. My daughter also has arthritis and can tell when her eating habits are getting not so great cause it makes her pain worse so we are both hoping this identifies what causes the most flare ups for her.

@cessi0909 hows your whole30 going? One of my friends has done it and she had great results.

I'm not really following a nutrition plan other than meeting my calorie goal and trying to NOT go over. My husband has a gym membership at PF so I go as his guest when he goes but he is super busy with work so we've been getting there once a week right now. Going to the barn helps...keeps me moving even if I'm not riding. I've also started doing some youtube workouts with Coach K at HASFit. I recommend his videos 100% if you're looking to get in some free workouts at home. I've used him in the past and he is motivating without getting on my last nerve.