Is anyone else dreading christmas dinner?

Replies

• shanae727
    shanae727 Posts: 546 Member
    shanae727 wrote: »
    I'm on contest prep so I plan to eat some grass during..and maybe some tears..if there are calories left..we'll see.

How dare they schedule a contest around Christmas! Damn sadists :(

exactly!!! lol

• Meghanebk
    Meghanebk Posts: 321 Member
    edited December 2016
    Nah, it's just one day. In the long term for my weight loss, one day, even if I eat all the food, is pretty insignificant as long as I don't make it a habit all month. I'd far rather enjoy myself with friends and family than stress about exactly how many calories are in the homebrewed eggnog.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,135 Member
    zyxst wrote: »
    I'm only dreading having to deal with my MIL who has less of a memory than a goldfish. She'll be telling me what to eat, what's in every dish/pot, and that I don't want dessert because I don't do that anymore about 12 times in 5 minutes. B1tch, get out of my way and let me get my roasted potatoes.

:laugh:

She sounds lovely :noway:

Or maybe her memory problem is the result of an undiagnosed medical condition.
  • FeraFilia
    FeraFilia Posts: 4,664 Member
    The only thing I'm dreading about Christmas dinner is smelling the bread while the dough is rising, and then in the oven, before I can dig in. Mmm. Nothing like home made bread.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,084 Member
    Eat whatever and however much I want for Christmas Eve/Day. Try to stick with my calorie goal on all the other days, albeit, I have not had as much success at that as I would like, but I have not gained at this point. For me the real question will be where I am weight wise at the end of the year. I know I will be up for a few days after Christmas. I will keep exercising and try to be extra active as well.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Gisel2015 wrote: »
    I'm only dreading having to deal with my MIL who has less of a memory than a goldfish. She'll be telling me what to eat, what's in every dish/pot, and that I don't want dessert because I don't do that anymore about 12 times in 5 minutes. B1tch, get out of my way and let me get my roasted potatoes.

It's nothing more than narcissism with her most basic need needing to be the center of attention all the time. All I want is to left alone and eat my supper. I don't need a run-down for the 12th time about what's to eat when I don't eat 90% of it.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member

It's nothing more than narcissism with her most basic need needing to be the center of attention all the time. All I want is to left alone and eat my supper. I don't need a run-down for the 12th time about what's to eat when I don't eat 90% of it.

Phew, i felt bad after that previous comment. I didn't think you'd have a pop at her memory if it was because of some sort of medical condition.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,135 Member

Wow! sorry if I pissed you off more than you mother in law does. Merry Christmas.
  • shellysmely
    shellysmely Posts: 4 Member
    I'm currently in a plateau so unsure whether to enjoy the day and eat freely (might kick start losses) or keep working through this plateau. If I choose to keep working through I will enjoy meat and greens, vodka or/and gin, cream and blue berries, sweet potatoes and squash. Not forgetting some power walking before dinner and plenty of water. Personally I think it's dependant on the individual- I think a splurge and gain would be disheartening to me regardless of my progress so far (longest I've ever maintained ketosis and had such strong willpower)
    It's a day to be enjoyed and if you can do so and stay within your allowance I would do so, similarly if you have the determination and willpower to get straight back on track then by all means treat yourself. Sometimes the bigger picture must always be kept in sight and ultimately your own health is in your hands and nobody else's. Either way, have an amazing time and well done on your progress so far x
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,811 Member
    Is anyone else dreading christmas dinner?

No ... absolutely not! I'm looking forward to it! :) Turkey and veggies. :)

And some sweet treats for dessert.
  • sallyrose869
    sallyrose869 Posts: 2 Member
    Hi, due to a medical condition I only need about 1200 calories a day. This means I put on weight very easily and quickly. To avoid too much damage over Christmas I have decided to use a smaller dinner plate than the rest of the family. We are having Turkey, which I will have with lots of veg and one or two roast potatoes. I have decided to avoid the mini sausages wrapped in bacon, the stuffing, cauliflower cheese and Yorkshire puddings. I will only have the tiniest amount of dessert if I have any, but will have a small amount of cheese if I want it. I will also have a couple of glasses of bubbly. I will defo be having some Christmas cake later in the day lol. Happy Christmas to you all. Xx
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Do Croatians dread Christmas dinner. Hmm..

That's like saying rakija doesn't exist.
  • pdxwine
    pdxwine Posts: 389 Member
    lady_ghost wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    No...it's just a day and one dinner...it's pretty irrelevant when you look at the bigger picture.

Also, don't know what your dinner looks like, but my Christmas dinner isn't terribly different from any other night other than the fact we're having ham...so, a lean protein, veg, and a starch...pretty par for the course.

Mine is full of fat carbs and red meat oh and sugar chocolate and alcohol. I'm having it with family

It is only filled with those things if you allow it to be.

Pick and chose what you eat and drink. You do not have to snarf.

If you go over calorie wise, it is one day. Do not stress over it. Just back to your normal routine the next day.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    I'm not dreading it. For me, this year it literally is just one day. I haven't been using the season as an excuse to have "holiday" treats (over my calorie goals) constantly. When I said "just one day," I meant it this time.

One day will not set me back; even if I eat to bursting I probably won't gain a full pound.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,966 Member
    I'm in the "just one day" camp.

Experimentation while losing - and, since losing, while in maintenance - suggests that the most I can eat in a day as a practical matter is around 5000 calories, plus or minus. That's at most around a pound's gain worth of calories over maintenance.

I know how to lose a pound. And it's not enough to need new clothes. So I'm good.

I love cheesy potatoes.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    lady_ghost wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    No...it's just a day and one dinner...it's pretty irrelevant when you look at the bigger picture.

Also, don't know what your dinner looks like, but my Christmas dinner isn't terribly different from any other night other than the fact we're having ham...so, a lean protein, veg, and a starch...pretty par for the course.

Mine is full of fat carbs and red meat oh and sugar chocolate and alcohol. I'm having it with family

Apart from the red meat (I know I should eat more), that was my diet every day for 12 months and I lost 80 lbs.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,978 Member
    I never dread eating - probably why i got overweight in first place B)

However, what I do now is take sensible portions, drink diet soda or at least limit calorie laden drinks - and accept some days are over my allowance (but not stupid ridiculous over) and Christmas is one of them.

other days are under and it all balances out.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    It is 1 (or 2) days out of the year, relax and enjoy it.
  • wholenewme03
    wholenewme03 Posts: 95 Member
    "Dread" and "Christmas" don't really go together in my mind, so no. I trust that my body won't let me overeat to the point that I'm going to gain a ton of weight. If I gain, my body will naturally give me cues as to how to stay at my happy point. Your Christmas sounds delicious :)