Low carb. appetizers

I am visiting my son and his family for Christmas. We will be having appetizers for Christmas dinner, for a change of pace. I would love some ideas for something different than a veggie platter. (We do have a peanut allergy, so that is a consideration.

Thanks!

Replies

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Cucumber slices with tuna (mayo and dill pickle relish in the tuna). Or top them with some kind of dill & cream cheese mix.
    Salami and cream cheese rolled up with or without a baby dill pickle in it.
    Top pepperoni with some cheese ball and a black olive or pepperoncini. Make the cheese ball with cream cheese, Italian seasoning and marinara sauce for pizza bites. Hold together with toothpick.
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Cream cheese wrapped in Smoked salmon, held together with a tooth pick.

Cheese, I like mine in cubes on cocktail sticks with pickled silver skin onions mmm

Cured meats and cheese - your guest can have crackers with them.

Cocktail sausages wrapped in streaky bacon and baked in the oven. Yummy! (In the UK we call these pigs in blankets, and are served with the turkey as a side dish)
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Last year I made some mini zucchini pizzas that went over great even with non LC people. Just slices of zucchini with a little LC sauce cheese and olives put on a cookie sheet under the broiler for 5-8 minutes. I would highly recommend them. You may be able to find better instructions with a google search
  • fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 987 Member
    I answered this in another forum. I will answer here again. Cheese crisps with guacamole dip or artichoke dip. Mini caprese salad skewers (with bocconcini mozzarella and basil leaf and cherry tomato, drizzled with extra virgin olive oil). Tiny meatballs with mozzarella cheese center. Smoked salmon pinwheels with cream cheese filling. Belgium endive filled with herbed goat cheese. Mini peppers filled with tuna salad. Devilled eggs.
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    edited December 2016
    In addition to all the great suggestions so-far, my favourite appetizer is bacon-wrapped jalapeno poppers. There's one (of many recipes) here: http://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/2012/02/bacon-wrapped-stuffed-jalapenos-2.html

Or google for your own :)

I also do bacon-wrapped steak pieces, bacon-wrapped chicken, bacon-wrapped bacon ... you get the idea.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    In addition to all the great suggestions so-far, my favourite appetizer is bacon-wrapped jalapeno poppers. There's one (of many recipes) here: http://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/2012/02/bacon-wrapped-stuffed-jalapenos-2.html

I also do bacon-wrapped steak pieces, bacon-wrapped chicken, bacon-wrapped bacon ... you get the idea.

Those things are amazing. I used to make mine with the recipe on ruled.me. I always try to leave at least a few seeds in each one though, otherwise they end up too bland for my liking. Then again, most people seem to be total sissies when it comes to peppers, so completely gutting them might not be a bad idea.
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member

Those things are amazing. I used to make mine with the recipe on ruled.me. I always try to leave at least a few seeds in each one though, otherwise they end up too bland for my liking. Then again, most people seem to be total sissies when it comes to peppers, so completely gutting them might not be a bad idea.

I leave ALL the seeds in mine. I love having the heat. Also almost anything is better wrapped in bacon. If you can get cheese in there, then it is even better!
  • solska
    solska Posts: 348 Member
    Hummus with edamame and sesame paste. And cucumbers sliced. Greek yoghurt with lime and chili dip. Cheese crisps. Enjoy!
  • Emerald_Wolf
    Emerald_Wolf Posts: 27 Member
    we like mushrooms, shrimp, and green olives all individually wrapped in bacon and baked in the oven.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Italian antipasti with different salamis, olives, marinated raw mushrooms and grape tomatoes and blanched cauliflorets, pickled tiny onions, bocconcini, parmesan chunks...
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,751 Member
    Ham wrapped around steamed asparagus is delicious. If you don't like asparagus, use cream cheese as the filling for these instead. Dishes of the nuts you can eat, like macadamia.