Keto straight talk

Replies

• ChoiceNotChance
    ChoiceNotChance Posts: 644 Member
    " I am working through how I should best manage my food decisions (sounds better than diet)." I love this!
  • Riche120
    Riche120 Posts: 154 Member
    This might be a good addition to the helpful article section in the launch pad for new members.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    @cstehansen - I can't recall whether you were tested for food allergies, or for wheat/gluten sensitivity before you changed your diet. ??
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    So cool! I hope she checks us out.
  • swing72
    swing72 Posts: 20 Member
    a great read thanks for sharing!
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    RalfLott wrote: »
    @cstehansen - I can't recall whether you were tested for food allergies, or for wheat/gluten sensitivity before you changed your diet. ??

No allergy testing done. I don't think there is any gluten in my diet at all as is. I eat no grains of any kind so unless there is some in something as a filler (which wouldn't be much) I can't see that being an issue.
  • Kodekai1988
    Kodekai1988 Posts: 49 Member
    Thank you for posting! A lot of good 'food' for thought here!

I actually raised my protein levels just yesterday (and calorie levels by 100) as I've been feeling low energy the last 2 weeks (after 4 weeks of keto-induced high energy) and suspected too much protein restriction was the culprit. Already feeling better!

So important to feel great, as well as heal my gut and lose inches (my personal goal).
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Great post, thank you for sharing!
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,948 Member
    Gonna confess my true fangirl status ;)
    I invited Amy Berger to come check out how well received her blog post was among our group members. :)
    varypdwinvf5.png
    I'm Kerri btw...

SWEET!
  • MyriiStorm
    MyriiStorm Posts: 609 Member
    cstehansen wrote: »
    I figure it will likely be several months or more until I find that sweet spot where my food choices are such that they are healthy for my body and not so strict that they are a detriment to my stress levels.

Yes! Take your time and get it right! As we are fond of saying in this group, "It's a marathon, not a sprint." :smile:
    This was a great read (long, but GREAT)! As I gear up for the new year I've been reading a lot and getting involved in other forums because I want to make sure I'm "doing it right." This made me feel better about having my own approach, and finding what works for ME!

This is key. People need to understand that there is no ONE right way to achieve health goals, especially since there are so many possible health goals out there. Thank goodness we have lots of different metabolisms, viewpoints, experiences, n=1 experiments, results, etc. in this group, so we can all learn from each other and hopefully find what works best for each of us.
  • maggiegbrown
    maggiegbrown Posts: 90 Member
    Oh and Sunny_Bunny your looking fabulous! What a great photo!
  • suzc11
    suzc11 Posts: 79 Member
    Can anyone suggest a good way of making sure you get enough electrolytes? Lower-leg swelling always an issue here. I salt food with sodium and potassium salts, but still not sure if it's helping.
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    suzc11 wrote: »
    Can anyone suggest a good way of making sure you get enough electrolytes? Lower-leg swelling always an issue here. I salt food with sodium and potassium salts, but still not sure if it's helping.

Broth made from bouillon cubes is a tried/true method many use.

I don't like broth myself, so I make crystal light lemonade (I use the 1.5L/1.5qt packet mix) and add 3 TBSP real lemon juice (provides potassium), 1 tsp salt (for sodium) and 2 TBSP Truvia to help make it more palatable.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Another great read by Low Carb RN featuring Dr Eric Westman videos.

https://lowcarbrn.wordpress.com/2016/03/29/can-i-say-it-again-dont-force-the-fat/

Great stuff, thanks!

Eating more protein from min. 20g to min 25g, 4x daily, is on my list of experiments for 2017. Hoping to find a sweet spot just shy of pushing my BG up (again).