Continuing the Grind

Be9465
Be9465 Posts: 36 Member
edited December 2016 in Social Groups
So, since my sister, my accountability partner, who was dieting LCHF with me decided to pause her weight loss efforts for the holiday. I think I will use this forum to report in every week. I brave the scale on Mondays, so that will be my "report in" days from here out. Since starting LCHF I have lost 27 lbs. 29 lbs. total since looking in the mirror one day and going "wow, who's that fat guy?" Didn't help that the Dr. diagnosed me with high blood pressure and said I was morbidly obese. I am a little over 5 weeks in now and have added 20 minutes of fasted cardio 5 days a week, and last week started picking up heavy stuff over and over again. I'm convinced that gravity has increased over the past 10 years because that stuff is a lot harder to pick up than it used to be. I do feel better than I have in over a year so that's good. Can't wait to go back to the Dr. and make her stop calling me obese cause that tends to get ya right in the feels. Side note, I did have break down about 2 weeks ago. Took my son out to eat at Red Robin's while looking through the menu was excited to see I could get a burger wrapped in lettuce instead of a bun.... only to find out they serve "bottomless" steak fries!!! Yeah.... bottomless....literally it comes in a tin cup with no bottom. Then they ask you if you want more after you finish the cup. Then they ask again when you finish the next serving. Now I'm not sure if they bring out anymore after your 7th serving because that's when I finally quit. Each one was better than the last, I've never had all the fries I could eat until that day. #bucketlistcheck

SW: 283
CW: 254
GW: less than the CW

Might add pictures of the progress when I figure out how to.

Replies

• canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Mornin' This is a good place for accountability - sounds like good progress so far, keep on going. Your sis will be jealous when you have lost over the holidays. ;)
  • MyriiStorm
    MyriiStorm Posts: 609 Member
    I hear you about the Red Robin bottomless fries! I used to enjoy those quite a bit, so I know to steer clear these days! :D

Congrats on the progress so far! Let us know how we can help. And welcome to the group!
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    It's not just that the fries are bottomless, they are real potato and totally delicious too!
  • kimberlyb6682
    kimberlyb6682 Posts: 79 Member
    29 pound is great progress for a little over 5 weeks
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    edited December 2016
    Welcome and congrats on your progress so far. Those doctor appointments can be a great catalyst for self improvement. Mine in 2013 resulted blood pressure meds. I was on BP meds only 9 months (cuz weight loss and moderate cardio) and 1 month after I met my goal weight, I was off the BP meds and have remained. Hopefully you will be as fortunate.

I'm actually kind of glad to hear someone else say/imply the carby foods still taste good. My tastes sure have not changed. I could eat a few bottomless cups of whatever (and have) and never bat an eye, say "eww" or get sick. I just have to accept that it is not the best choice for me if I want to maintain my health and my weight.

You got this! It's a choice.

• Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Welcome!! This group is great.
  • MyriiStorm
    MyriiStorm Posts: 609 Member
    Next time you go to Red Robin, know that you can get bottomless broccoli too. Obviously not the same, but you're not without LC options there. They are a great LC friendly place!

For real?!?!? *does happy dance* Thank you @samanthaluangphixay !!
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    MyriiStorm wrote: »
    Next time you go to Red Robin, know that you can get bottomless broccoli too. Obviously not the same, but you're not without LC options there. They are a great LC friendly place!

For real?!?!? *does happy dance* Thank you @samanthaluangphixay !!

Yep. For real. I was actually going to mention that if I didn't see it.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Welcome @Be9465 You will find awesome support here! So glad you found us and congratulations on your success so far! I look forward to hearing about your continued success!
  • Be9465
    FINALLY, I feel like after 5 weeks I am fully "keto adapted" I feel like a lucky case in the fact that I never have suffered any symptoms of a "keto flu". I do take a magnesium supplement, drink a little bouillon cube in water every other day, and was eating spinach in my eggs and eating avocados there for a while for potassium. My first 2 weeks I was hungry all the time and woke up every morning feeling like I was starving. Took about 2 weeks for that hunger to go away, but still would wake up ravenous every day. I planned and tracked every gram of food I ate the first 2 weeks, half the time forcing myself to eat so I would hit my macros and calories spot on. Made fat bombs and drank coffee with coconut oil and butter to make up for not having enough calories and fat on some days. Week 3 I wanted to start eating when hungry, stopping when satiated and my calories consumed dropped well below my goals. My one lingering issue that was driving me crazy to the point I was about to throw in the towel was wicked diarrhea within an hour after every single meal. Finally after 5 weeks that has straightedge itself out LOL. I now have 1 concern recently as over the past 4 days I have no appetite whatsoever. It's nice waking up full of energy and not having that gnawing, growling critter in my gut screaming FEED ME NOW anymore, but I have actually went a whole day without eating, kind of because I forgot to eat and never felt hungry. I kind of naturally fallen into a pattern of 1 meal a day, and eat about 1300-1000 calories in that single meal. That just seems super low for me since I do weigh 254, and have been picking up heavy stuff repeatedly 6 days a week, and peddling away on a recumbent bike 20 minutes a day 5 days a week. My fitbit is telling me I need well over 3,000 calories a day. I don't want to lose any muscle, but really don't want to force feed myself. I've had to throw out quite a bit of food I prepped the past 2 weeks because I just wasn't hungry. My energy levels are crazy high and I swear I think I could stay in the gym for 2 hours and not get tired. I try to keep my workouts to 45 minutes, small rest times and little time transitioning between exercises. Strength is on the rise and I no longer am sucking air anymore. Definitely ready to add a few exercises to each workout next week. Walked out two of my workout days feeling like I didn't get much of a workout even though the same workout with less weight half killed me 3 weeks ago. So anyway, Happy New Year and I plan on there being much less of me to celebrate the end of 2017!!
  • kimberlyb6682
    kimberlyb6682 Posts: 79 Member
    I never got the keto flu either. keep up the good work you're doing great!
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Welcome! Love your sense of humor and it sounds like you're off to a good start overall!
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Be9465 wrote: »
    FINALLY, I feel like after 5 weeks I am fully "keto adapted" I feel like a lucky case in the fact that I never have suffered any symptoms of a "keto flu". I do take a magnesium supplement, drink a little bouillon cube in water every other day, and was eating spinach in my eggs and eating avocados there for a while for potassium. My first 2 weeks I was hungry all the time and woke up every morning feeling like I was starving. Took about 2 weeks for that hunger to go away, but still would wake up ravenous every day. I planned and tracked every gram of food I ate the first 2 weeks, half the time forcing myself to eat so I would hit my macros and calories spot on. Made fat bombs and drank coffee with coconut oil and butter to make up for not having enough calories and fat on some days. Week 3 I wanted to start eating when hungry, stopping when satiated and my calories consumed dropped well below my goals. My one lingering issue that was driving me crazy to the point I was about to throw in the towel was wicked diarrhea within an hour after every single meal. Finally after 5 weeks that has straightedge itself out LOL. I now have 1 concern recently as over the past 4 days I have no appetite whatsoever. It's nice waking up full of energy and not having that gnawing, growling critter in my gut screaming FEED ME NOW anymore, but I have actually went a whole day without eating, kind of because I forgot to eat and never felt hungry. I kind of naturally fallen into a pattern of 1 meal a day, and eat about 1300-1000 calories in that single meal. That just seems super low for me since I do weigh 254, and have been picking up heavy stuff repeatedly 6 days a week, and peddling away on a recumbent bike 20 minutes a day 5 days a week. My fitbit is telling me I need well over 3,000 calories a day. I don't want to lose any muscle, but really don't want to force feed myself. I've had to throw out quite a bit of food I prepped the past 2 weeks because I just wasn't hungry. My energy levels are crazy high and I swear I think I could stay in the gym for 2 hours and not get tired. I try to keep my workouts to 45 minutes, small rest times and little time transitioning between exercises. Strength is on the rise and I no longer am sucking air anymore. Definitely ready to add a few exercises to each workout next week. Walked out two of my workout days feeling like I didn't get much of a workout even though the same workout with less weight half killed me 3 weeks ago. So anyway, Happy New Year and I plan on there being much less of me to celebrate the end of 2017!!

I've hit a sudden major appetite reduction this week as well. Never thought of food at all until it was time to cook for the family then I did feel a little hungry. But after 2 straight days of that, I was still not at all hungry last night when dinner came. I actually did make myself eat something though because I was drinking wine. So I had some bone broth with an egg mixed in like egg drop soup and a small beef patty with cheese. Now I'm going into a 4th day feeling just as satisfied. I've probably consumed less than 2000 calories in the last 3 days but I have bodyfat to lose still so when I do eat, I'm not adding fat and just focusing on having protein. Since this isn't actual fasting I don't know if I will be getting the increase in hgh to protect my lean mass so that's why I'm concentrating on protein.
    Tonight my husband has planned to have chicken breast on a big salad. I think I'm just going to eat the lean chicken and let my body use the fat it has since all signs are suggesting it's on some solid fat burning run right now. I feel fantastic so I'm just gonna keep with listening to my body and having faith that it's smarter than me. Lol
  • Be9465
    Yeah, I've watched a bunch of that Jason Fung dude, yeah I'm working on being hip so dude and bro are increasingly creeping their way into my vocabulary. He says our bodies aren't stupid, and I imagine my body has been like this. Hey, we got a bunch of energy coming so let's store all we don't need for later. Now that I've switched my dietary choices my body said woah now fellas that energy isn't coming any longer, it's time to use what we have stored up. My body told my brain, it's cool bro, we get it.... there is a famine happening in the magical land of surplus we have been living in for so long..... don't even worry about it. Remember when we put all that energy in storage the past several years? We will just use that. You just do what you gotta do, we will keep the energy coming. Intermittent fasting is just what I naturally have fell into without knowing anything about it. I just hope this Fung bro knows what he is talking about and I don't get skinny fat. Hmmm.... then again, skinny fat might be better than fat fat.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Be9465 wrote: »
    Yeah, I've watched a bunch of that Jason Fung dude, yeah I'm working on being hip so dude and bro are increasingly creeping their way into my vocabulary. He says our bodies aren't stupid, and I imagine my body has been like this. Hey, we got a bunch of energy coming so let's store all we don't need for later. Now that I've switched my dietary choices my body said woah now fellas that energy isn't coming any longer, it's time to use what we have stored up. My body told my brain, it's cool bro, we get it.... there is a famine happening in the magical land of surplus we have been living in for so long..... don't even worry about it. Remember when we put all that energy in storage the past several years? We will just use that. You just do what you gotta do, we will keep the energy coming. Intermittent fasting is just what I naturally have fell into without knowing anything about it. I just hope this Fung bro knows what he is talking about and I don't get skinny fat. Hmmm.... then again, skinny fat might be better than fat fat.

I've been naturally IF at 18/6 for most of the past 19 months or so. I've even hit a wall where I can't seem to lose any more weight but I've actually lost a whole pant size. So, I don't think I am turning skinny fat. I think the stable weight with decreased bodyfat suggests I've possibly gained a bit of muscle and this was happening before I started lifting. I've never tried to limit protein like you hear so much in some keto circles but I'm also not insulin resistant so I didn't have any reason to be concerned about too much protein anyway.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Nice work! Keto is definitely agreeing with you!

Love your GW. LOL
  • Be9465
    Was another interesting week. My hunger is still not existent when I wake up. Switched up my workouts to 3 days a week heavy weights, 3 days of 20 minutes of fasted steady state cardio. I think I have settled on this for at least the next 3 weeks. Lost another 3 lbs. this week and thanks to everybody here I have increased my arsenal of quick ready to eat on the go meals for lazy/unprepared days. My legs have slowly eroded over the years since having 5 surgeries to my left knee by the time I was 19. I never did any heavy squats or squats at all for fear of decreasing the time I have until a total knee replacement, Dr. said I would probably have to have it replaced by the time I turned 40. Celebrated my 36th birthday Dec. 30th and have decided I need a new knee soon anyway and did some squats this week. Soooooooooo much different than a leg press, but I actually didn't hurt too bad at all. I'm continuing to track every ounce of food that goes in my mouth but only eating when hungry and stopping when satisfied. My calories have been as low as 600 one day up to 1900. I'm actually eating more on my cardio days due to being hungrier on those days, probably due to the previous days lifting. Still super excited about my results so far, gonna ride this train to ab city and beyond!!

SW:283
    Last week: 254
    CW: 251
    GW: Visible abs