Hello! Newbie here

sati_18
sati_18 Posts: 18 Member
Hi everyone

I hope that this is OK to post an intro and request for support.

I'm new to the whole low carb idea but have been lurking for a couple of days and you guys seem like a nice bunch so I thought I would brave it and see about making some healthy and helpful friends.

The reason I'm looking at low carb is because I struggle hugely with binging. I have a history of bulimia and whilst I've had all the therapy available out there and through that process have learnt a vast amount about my challenges triggers and issues, I've never really been able to overcome the binging and its hindering me in my recovery. This isn't some reaction to me starving my calories the rest of the time or something stupid like that - I eat and have no problem doing so. It just feels like madness

This year I have reached my highest weight ever, an overweight bmi, and developed some of the most destructive binging behaviour I've ever had. I'm also getting married in just under 4 months and I refuse for my wedding photos to be a lifelong reminder of me at my largest and unhappiest. That cannot be what recovery means for me and it needs to change.

I have never tried low carb but after spending the past few weeks reading up on it I am cautiously optimistic that this may finally help me break the cycle and allow me to finally become the healthy individual I so long to be.

Day one is going well so far, I've been on my own all day and despite having more than enough opportunity and being a little hungover from NYE I'm not inhaling everything in the fridge which is very encouraging.

I would love to hear from any of you that have found this helpful in reducing binging, or indeed any nice nonjudgemental people who are happy to be added so I can snoop your diaries. My own is open to friends but not public because I haven't wanted to deal with people critiquing my intake whilst being in this low of a place eating wise.

So yea, I hope this is OK and I would love to hear from you if you have any experience that you feel may resonate or benefit someone in my situation

- Shell -

Replies

• kimberlyb6682
    kimberlyb6682 Posts: 79 Member
    welcome to the group, I don't have any words of wisdom to add I just want to say welcome
  • freckles2002
    freckles2002 Posts: 55 Member
    Hi there, sorry to hear about your struggles. I too have struggled with bulimia for 10plus years. I went Keto August the first and have had NO episodes of binging since starting. It's a real miracle cure for me, and to date have fairly effortlessly lost 20 pounds.I too had several rounds of therapy including group and one to one and none of it stopped/helped my Binge/purge. Keto is the only thing that's worked and I'm now 5 months in remission.I was a carb/sugar addict and the only thing that's worked for me was eliminating those things completely from my life. I also suffered from alcoholism and I've had too treat my eating disorder in the same way. It's not easy everyday but the longer I go the more confident I am becoming. Keto is the best thing I've ever done and I hope you have the same success. Wishing you all the best!
  • genmon00
    genmon00 Posts: 604 Member
    Welcome! Glad to have you! You can do this!
  • genmon00
    genmon00 Posts: 604 Member
    Have you had a chance to check out our launch pad? Great information and plenty of encouragement in our NSV thread
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Welcome to the group!
    I was definitely a sugar addict but the only thing I ever tended to binge eat was candy. If I absolutely couldn't get my greedy hands on candy then I would eat any sweet or carb I could find but didn't seem to go full binge on those. Still too much of course and since I was eating a movie theater sized box of Lemonheads (my cravings were very specific) a day, it was a big problem.
    Like someone else said above, going cold turkey eliminating the problem food was what I think worked best for me. At some point I fell into the "keto sweets" and sugar free coffee syrup trap that I started to feel that familiar feeling of 'need' for and I had to stop them too. No more sweet coffee for me and keto sweets are only for the most special occasions. So maybe 3-4 times a year.
    I don't log food and I pretty much only eat meat and dairy anyway so it's not too exciting. But I'm always happy to have a new friend. :smile:
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    edited January 2017
    You might want to check out this thread on carb addiction - lots of great discussion, and the YT vids by Jackie Eberstein are must reads (er, sees)!
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10445274/carbohydrate-addiction-for-real
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Welcome!!
  • sati_18
    Thanks guys for the welcomes and freckles2002 & Sunny_Bunny_ for sharing your experiences.... That gives me a lot of hope. It would be so nice not to feel ruled by food all the time.

I am working my way round the info here and finding it all very insightful and helpful... Will have a look at those threads that have been suggested - thanks again :)

• KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Former binge eater here. If it was carbs I could eat it until it was gone and never feel satisfied. I never suffered from bulimia though, so I can't advise you there. This woe has been a savior for the binging. The foods we eat are more satisfying, leaving no desire to binge! This is the key to having control over food instead of it being the other way around! I'm sorry I don't log my food anymore, either. After logging meat, dairy, and eggs for a few months I wasn't learning anymore from it. That was a year and a half ago a and I've continued to lose to goal without any problems!

I'm always open to new friends! You can do this! Strict adherence is needed to learn this woe, then it becomes the easiest, imo! Hugs!
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    And welcome! There's a great group of people here who are always willing to lend support! :smile:
  • swezeytba
    swezeytba Posts: 624 Member
    @sati_18 how are things going now? Are you winning your war with food?
  • sati_18
    @swezeytba I did really well for the first couple of weeks but a few things have derailed me a bit this month. Overall though I am noticing a big improvement in my hunger so thats a big positive. I still find it very difficult avoiding alcohol though which tends to set my eating off in the wrong direction.

I am finding the group super helpful however and I'm sure I can find a balance. I just need to be a bit more disciplined regarding alcohol I think!

Thanks for asking and thanks to everyone else who took the time to comment :smile:
  • dasher602014
    dasher602014 Posts: 1,992 Member
    edited January 2017
    Hi @sati_18,

I am glad this thread was commented upon. I do not have your struggles. It is great that we are being helpful. Just wanted to offer my welcome to the group. My diary is open to friend and I am a slow carber so not keto levels. You are welcome to add me as a friend if you wish. Good to hear there is an improvement in your hunger.
  • RalfLott
    edited January 2017
    sati_18 wrote: »
    @swezeytba I did really well for the first couple of weeks but a few things have derailed me a bit this month. Overall though I am noticing a big improvement in my hunger so thats a big positive. I still find it very difficult avoiding alcohol though which tends to set my eating off in the wrong direction.

I am finding the group super helpful however and I'm sure I can find a balance. I just need to be a bit more disciplined regarding alcohol I think!

Thanks for asking and thanks to everyone else who took the time to comment :smile:

Swami sees big success in your future. B)
    LCD friends + Positive attitude + Insight that alcohol - - - - -> food trouble = Great training wheels!
  • CoffeeNBooze
    CoffeeNBooze Posts: 966 Member
    Hi there. I have hypoglycemia and I am comfortably full and happy about it for hours when I eat low carb. It's been a life saver. I have had many other benefits that I never expected as well. It'll take time to break habits. But bottom line... find out if it works for you. Like every eating style, it's not for everyone. It definitely is for me! Welcome, feel free to message or post if you have questions!
  • RalfLott
    Hi there. I have hypoglycemia and I am comfortably full and happy about it for hours when I eat low carb. It's been a life saver. I have had many other benefits that I never expected as well. It'll take time to break habits. But bottom line... find out if it works for you. Like every eating style, it's not for everyone. It definitely is for me! Welcome, feel free to message or post if you have questions!

Congrats!

How hypo were you? All gone?
  • sati_18
    RalfLott wrote: »

LCD friends + Positive attitude + Insight that alcohol - - - - -> food trouble = Great training wheels!

Thank you! Although knowing a thing and putting it into practice are worlds apart! I have my hen do this weekend so that's a wash out but other than that I'm going to really knuckle back down and avoid the booze!
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott wrote: »

Thank you! Although knowing a thing and putting it into practice are worlds apart! I have my hen do this weekend so that's a wash out but other than that I'm going to really knuckle back down and avoid the booze!

DGB - Drink good booze? Light beer, dry wine, straight liquor with diet mixers, along with LC snack stuff (macadamias.... Mmmm, hens love 'em!)