I eat the same

2»

Replies

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,455 Member
    I don't know how much weight in total I just want to lose most of the fat

Losing weight quickly with an aggressive deficit rarely gives people the results they want, especially if you aren't aiming for a specific amount to lose and aren't obese to begin with. Setting a moderate deficit (0.5 kg/week or even less), focusing on getting a variety of foods to that calorie target with a particular focus on protein, and working on strength training is probably going to give you the best chance for the results you desire.
  • jamieturley
    jamieturley Posts: 26 Member
    So maybe an extra chicken breast with each meal and some fruit? That would take it near the 1500 mark
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    So maybe an extra chicken breast with each meal and some fruit? That would take it near the 1500 mark

That would increase the calorie count, yes, but why more of the same when one of the problems with your diet is the monotony?
  • jamieturley
    Monotony?
  • kommodevaran
    Monotony?
    Eating the same all the time.
  • WinoGelato

1500 was the bare minimum for men and still likely too low for you. If that is you in your profile picture you do not appear to be obese, is that correct? The number you put in before of 1kg/week is also likely still too aggressive for you and that gave you a goal of nearly 2000 cals.

OP what kinds of foods were you eating before you started this? Do you enjoy food? Do you cook? I'm having trouble understanding why such a monotonous diet is appealing, but some people do better with consistency.
  • jamieturley
    Yh that's me in the picture. Before I was eating take outs quite often and lots of crisps etc I ate because I liked the flavour not that I was hungry. The diet I'm on isn't appealing to me but I've stuck to it because I'm seeing progress
  • CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    Could you give me a example of what I should eat in a day that I can get from the local Asda or some place like that

I shop at Asda most days, and there is literally no food in there that I cannot eat. Read the helpful stickies at the top of the boards and log accurately. You'll be able to see in your logs whether or not you're meeting your targets, and will be able to adjust. You could even just eat whatever you were eating before you started here, but eat an amount within your goals.

Don't undereat, it's not good for you and it will be harder to stick to it.
  • jamieturley
    I only joined here yesterday in just stuck to what I know know strict diet and lots of cardio
  • kommodevaran
    I only joined here yesterday in just stuck to what I know know strict diet and lots of cardio

Today you know better :p
  • WinoGelato
    Yh that's me in the picture. Before I was eating take outs quite often and lots of crisps etc I ate because I liked the flavour not that I was hungry. The diet I'm on isn't appealing to me but I've stuck to it because I'm seeing progress

You can do both actually. Many of the most successful people on this site have lost weight, transformed their bodies, achieved their goals without giving up things like take out, crisps and sweets. Variety and enjoyment is crucial to stick with any program.

My standard advice for new folks on MFP:
    1. Set up MFP with accurate stats and a reasonable goal (total weight to lose and rate of loss) to obtain an appropriate calorie target.
    2. Eat a variety of foods within that calorie target that provide nutrition (macro and micro nutrients), satiety (fill you up) and enjoyment (helps with sticking with the plan). A good mix is 80% nutrient dense foods and 20% foods you would consider treats.
    3. Log all the food you eat consistently and accurately, ideally using a food scale
    4. Exercise if you enjoy it picking a program that will help with your overall goals (sounds like resistance training may benefit you)
    5. Be patient and stick with it.
    6. Monitor and adjust based on actual results.

There is no reason for you to be eating such low calories. I'm a 5'2 female and I lose weight eating 2000 cals or less. You can certainly eat more food and different food and still be successful.
  • WinoGelato

This is a common misconception and why so many people ultimately fail at losing weight and keeping it off. Weight loss doesn't have to be punishment. You can eat delicious foods and don't have to kill yourself in the gym and still achieve results.
  • garpolky
    garpolky Posts: 3 Member
    I've noticed I'll stall for about 3 weeks then loose 3 weeks worth of weight in one week. I guess I'm retaining water for those three weeks. Maybe it's the same for you? Try to take weekly measurements, you might see a quarter inch of difference somewhere, even if you aren't losing weight.

I've also heard that the first ten pounds you loose is water weight anyways.
  • jamieturley
    A few years ago I was 92kg and got to 77kg in about 6 weeks eating normally. This time I started at 15 Stone and now weigh 14.3 in about 6 weeks I did put on 5 pounds over Christmas but this time strict diet and not getting the same results would the lack of food be the reason for less progress?
  • jamieturley
    I was like that a few weeks ago I lost weight then seemed to put some on but couldn't see it on my stomach etc so I chucked the diet and ate as much as I could then soon realised how much I actually lost so I started again this time for longer now I've started boxing so I have motivation to stay losing the weight
  • katorihanzo
    katorihanzo Posts: 234 Member
    Put some cheese on that chicken! Switch the rice out for potatoes sometimes. Have homemade tacos, burgers, pizzas, salads, sandwiches, ribs, roasts, soups, stews. Literally anything! You can eat *anything* you want and lose weight, as long as you are burning more calories than you are eating. It's a beautiful thing, really.

Not knowing your specifics I'd say eat at *least* 1500 calories a day and then eat back any calories you burn working out. That should ensure you're still at a deficit but not under eating so much that it's bad for you. Log everything you eat, eat when you're hungry and pay attention to your macro and micro nutrient intake on My Fitness Pal. Honestly, you're in the sweet spot - you don't have a ton of weight to lose, you are relatively active and a young man. You can eat more than a lot of people on here and still lose weight.

You need to stop paying attention to the scale. You already said you don't want to lose any specific amount of weight, you just want to look a certain way. The scale is going to go up and down, especially with your workout routine (gaining muscle usually means gaining weight). So take some pictures of yourself and some measurements and take them again in a month. Pay attention to how your clothes fit. Stick with a moderate calorie deficit and your workout routine and I promise you'll see and feel results. You want to find a new lifestyle, not eat the same boring stuff everyday, get tired of it and switch back to old habits once you reach your goal. You need to learn how to eat the right amount, of the right stuff. That's all. Stick with MFP and you will learn quickly.