Fruit adds sugar ????

I am over my sugar today because of an apple. Should I necessarily cut the apple out for the day. Isn't it a healthy addition.

Replies

• crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Unless you have a medical condition like diabetes don't worry about it-many here remove the sugar setting and replace it with the fiber tracking option.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Natural sugars, such as in an apple, aren't usually counted as part of one's sugar intake (medical conditions excluded). MFP's database can't differentiate between natural and processed sugars. If you follow sugar intake, you can subtract the natural sugars from the totals to get your processed sugar consumption.
    Like crzycatlady1 said, many remove sugar tracking from their diary and replace it with something else because it isn't really relevant unless there's a medical reason.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Fruit provides for good nutrition...it also has sugar. I'd suggest that if you're over because of an apple, you might be selecting an erroneous entry from the database...a "medium" apple has around 19 grams of sugar...I'd imagine your target exceeds that.
  • WatchJoshLift
    WatchJoshLift Posts: 520 Member
    I don't track sugar. I'm not diabetic and eat a relatively balanced diet. I just watch my overall carb numbers and make sure I hit my fiber goal daily.
  • Valrotha
    Valrotha Posts: 294 Member
    Fruit also contains a decent amount of fiber, which offsets the fructose it contains. As long as you're within your calorie goal, I wouldn't worry about going over the sugar limit. As crzycatlady1 said, "many here remove the sugar setting and replace it with the fiber tracking option." That's what I've done as well.
  • ACrazyNightOwl
    ACrazyNightOwl Posts: 8 Member
    Oh yea fruit is full of sugar
  • SeagalDeeDee
    SeagalDeeDee Posts: 153 Member
    Natural sugar is not refined sugar. Yes -fruit has sugars but some more than others & certainly not the same as fructose. I am on mainly fruit,veggie,nuts & yogurt for the month..my fruit choices will be rhubarb,avacados(1 gram of sugar per av!) Kiwi-one of my favs have a total 7 per fruit so I cut that one out.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Natural sugar is not refined sugar. Yes -fruit has sugars but some more than others & certainly not the same as fructose. I am on mainly fruit,veggie,nuts & yogurt for the month..my fruit choices will be rhubarb,avacados(1 gram of sugar per av!) Kiwi-one of my favs have a total 7 per fruit so I cut that one out.

fructose is a naturally occurring sugar...a banana is high in fructose...it's not different than added fructose...it's the same thing. Your body doesn't treat sugar from fruit any differently than it does sugar that has been added to something. If this were the case, diabetics would be able to eat fruit to their hearts content...but they can't...because sugar is sugar.

I'm not saying that one shouldn't focus on whole foods...they should...but you can over consume sugar from fruit just as you can over consume sugar from soda and other things. Sugar in and of itself isn't an issue...over consumption is, regardless of sourcing. I don't eat much in the way of added sugar and as whole foods go, I emphasize veg and keep my fruit to a couple servings per day.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member

Natural sugar is in fact the exact same thing as refined sugar. Which makes sense because refined sugar is taken straight out of a plant. Fruits contain fructose, glucose and sucrose. Sucrose is the stuff you buy in bags and put in your coffee.