Anyone use their oven for something other than cooking?

Replies

• ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Thanks for the replies. I have been amused by some of the answers, esp. discovering that someone used a dishwasher as storage.Too funny!
    In the past, I have gotten burned because my husband continued to use the oven as storage, and I forgot to check when preheating the oven only to discover pots and pans heated to 375 degrees. Getting them out was tricky, and a few times I burned my hand. My husband and I had a few discussions about it , and we found a compromise for storage.
    I still bake in the oven and use the stove burners every day. I use the broiler for pork chops and barbeque chicken.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    ereck44 wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies. I have been amused by some of the answers, esp. discovering that someone used a dishwasher as storage.Too funny!
    In the past, I have gotten burned because my husband continued to use the oven as storage, and I forgot to check when preheating the oven only to discover pots and pans heated to 375 degrees. Getting them out was tricky, and a few times I burned my hand. My husband and I had a few discussions about it , and we found a compromise for storage.
    I still bake in the oven and use the stove burners every day. I use the broiler for pork chops and barbeque chicken.

My ILs love to leave pans in the oven, usually with half a roast in it or maybe a leftover pizza. I learned fast to always check to see if the oven is empty before turning it on.
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    zyxst wrote: »
    I've used the oven for cooking and storage (pots and pans only). I also use it to heat up the kitchen sometimes. Took me a few years to understand the drawer underneath wasn't for storing pots and pans, but the broiler.

While touring apartments a leasing agent had several stories of her residents lighting kitchen towels and things on fire in their broiler drawers. I don't think ranges are built that way anymore. I thought the broiler was broken on my range when I moved into my current house. I put some garlic bread in the bottom drawer, set to broil and the bread only got slightly warm. My husband who had only had electric ranges looked at me like a crazy person, moved the bread to the oven, and had toasted garlic bread ten minutes later. He never believed me when I told him gas ranges typically have the broiler under the oven.

I have never heard of storing things in an oven before. That sounds like a terrible idea. I get annoyed enough when I discover I forgot to take out the baking stone last time I used it. I use my oven almost daily. I can't imagine having to clear my pot and pan collection first. Besides, where do you put all that stuff while you are cooking?
  • Chunkahlunkah
    Chunkahlunkah Posts: 373 Member
    My grandma, born in 1907, would dry her hair in the oven. That was a startling sight to behold for the first time. :o
  • alyssa0061
    alyssa0061 Posts: 652 Member
    I live in New York, the oven is my largest storage closet.

Carrie Bradshaw kept sweaters in her oven
  • ClubSilencio
    ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
    As a kid, I used to take out the racks and create my own dream theatre.

• sunburntgalaxy
    sunburntgalaxy Posts: 455 Member
    I've used the oven for cooking and storage (pots and pans only). I also use it to heat up the kitchen sometimes. Took me a few years to understand the drawer underneath wasn't for storing pots and pans, but the broiler.

While touring apartments a leasing agent had several stories of her residents lighting kitchen towels and things on fire in their broiler drawers. I don't think ranges are built that way anymore. I thought the broiler was broken on my range when I moved into my current house. I put some garlic bread in the bottom drawer, set to broil and the bread only got slightly warm. My husband who had only had electric ranges looked at me like a crazy person, moved the bread to the oven, and had toasted garlic bread ten minutes later. He never believed me when I told him gas ranges typically have the broiler under the oven.

I have never heard of storing things in an oven before. That sounds like a terrible idea. I get annoyed enough when I discover I forgot to take out the baking stone last time I used it. I use my oven almost daily. I can't imagine having to clear my pot and pan collection first. Besides, where do you put all that stuff while you are cooking?

Oh I am the same way with the broiler - until the oven I have now the broiler has always been the bottom drawer. And honestly I am still paranoid I am wrong (even though I have broiled before in the oven itself) so I only store the broiler pan in there.
  • ModernRock
    ModernRock Posts: 372 Member
    I once read that experienced home inspectors check the oven prior to turning it on.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    We used to store baking pans and stuff in the oven. I pretty much stopped because taking everything out anytime I wanted to use the oven is a PITA
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    We use it to store pans, but we don't not use it to cook. :cookie:
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    I remember my mother stored the plastic tub and rack for the sink in there. She only did that once.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member

Evidently the storage drawer remains in newer designs in order to maintain the same standard / common counter top height. I didn't even think of the storage drawer as part of the oven. Yeah, I store stuff there in my (electric range) all the time.
  • Lin_marie11
    Lin_marie11 Posts: 100 Member
    My grandmother used to use it for storage. She had a small kitchen and not enough cabinets. She would use her toaster oven or microwave for cooking.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    I used it tonite to make cornbread. Baked a ham at Christmas and a turkey at Thanksgiving. And pizza, of course!
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member

The trick is to nest everything together well enough that you only have to take out one or two stacks. Just plop them on the counter, table, or the front porch.
  • CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    My ex-MiL used to keep her handbag (purse) in her oven. Her theory was that a burglar wasn't likely to turn up to cook so wouldn't find it.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    My ex-MiL used to keep her handbag (purse) in her oven. Her theory was that a burglar wasn't likely to turn up to cook so wouldn't find it.

Is that why she's an ex-MiL? ;)
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    I use the light on it if I come downstairs in the night so I don't wake the dog. I use the alarm and clock for things other than cooking. I use it to store roasting trays. And I've also used it to heat the house!
    In the past I've used it to dry underwear.....not recommended :smiley:
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    I use the drawer underneath for the half sheet pans, things that don't fit anywhere else. Sometimes stash the iron skillets in oven, since it doesn't matter if they accidentally get preheated with the oven. And yes at the old house sometimes turned it on and opened it just to get warm.

But mostly of course for cooking. Bread, lasagna, roasted veg, roasted chicken, finishing chicken and yellow rice, broiling things, making pizza, sometimes cookies or cakes or quiche. Finishing sunny side up eggs under the broiler. Keeping pancakes warm while making a bunch of them, too. Oh and reheating pizza from pizza places. I would have a hard time cooking without an oven.