Different words for the same things depending on which country you're in.

Replies

• paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,926 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    jgnatca wrote: »
    By the way, the Sub sandwich did not originate with the Subway food chain. Sub, which is short for Submarine, has been around a lot longer than the food chain (~1910).

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Submarine_sandwich

Never crossed my mind that anyone would think that.

This is another regional thing within the US: sub, hoagie, grinder, hero, etc.

http://www.thekitchn.com/hoagies-heroes-subs-and-grinders-whats-the-deal-with-these-sandwich-names-222944

I grew up with sub (pre Subway) and then when I was in college in MA people kept talking about grinders and I was initially puzzled (but figured it out).

Well, no, even from Australia I didnt think Subway made up the term sub - but veggie sub is a term used by Subway here to describe one of their products - it isnt a generic term used by everyone else to denote a salad roll

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I'd call a roll/sandwich with cheese and salad a cheese salad roll/sandwich.

A US gyro is a UK doner kebab.

I've (US) thought of a gyro as having sliced meat - that's what I usually see here. But I see folks on this thread citing ground meat/mince.

There's some standard middle-eastern ground-meat-lump thing people here eat, but I can't recall the name of it. (What the heck do I know - I'm a vegetarian. But some of the friends I dine with like gyros. ;) ).

Doner is Turkish, Gyro is Greek. Same thing though. The Doner meat is minced and seasoned, then compressed into the meat stack, which then roasts. The outer layer is sliced off to go into the Pita.

So, sliced, minced meat. Normally lamb, but sometimes beef or chicken.
  • paperpudding
    My kids find fannypack the most hilarious one
    In UK that would be bumbag. Or in really posh places travel pack.
    fanny is entirely different here!

I know, same here lol I can't picture what a "fannypack" could be if used in the Australian/British way :open_mouth: I didnt think people used bumbags/fanny packs anymore??

I do - for times when it is inconvenient to have a handbag and I dont have big enough pockets - eg at dog obedience training - my car keys, dog poop bags ,dog treats go in it and I am hands free.

Also when travelling, those little belt bags you put under your clothes to keep cash,passport, credit card safely - aren't they bum bags??

• paperpudding

I've (US) thought of a gyro as having sliced meat - that's what I usually see here. But I see folks on this thread citing ground meat/mince.

There's some standard middle-eastern ground-meat-lump thing people here eat, but I can't recall the name of it. (What the heck do I know - I'm a vegetarian. But some of the friends I dine with like gyros. ;) ).

Doner is Turkish, Gyro is Greek. Same thing though. The Doner meat is minced and seasoned, then compressed into the meat stack, which then roasts. The outer layer is sliced off to go into the Pita.

So, sliced, minced meat. Normally lamb, but sometimes beef or chicken.

Sounds like a yiros?

• Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member

Those are called koftas
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member

Doner is Turkish, Gyro is Greek. Same thing though.

Reminds me of when and friend and I were taking the overnight train from Istanbul to Ankara back when I was 24. We were hanging out in the dining car talking to this guy who was all excited to show off the Turkish specialties, like raki and white cheese. We thought (but did not say, of course), oh, ouzo and feta!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    My kids find fannypack the most hilarious one
    In UK that would be bumbag. Or in really posh places travel pack.
    fanny is entirely different here!

I know, same here lol I can't picture what a "fannypack" could be if used in the Australian/British way :open_mouth: I didnt think people used bumbags/fanny packs anymore??

I do - for times when it is inconvenient to have a handbag and I dont have big enough pockets - eg at dog obedience training - my car keys, dog poop bags ,dog treats go in it and I am hands free.

Also when travelling, those little belt bags you put under your clothes to keep cash,passport, credit card safely - aren't they bum bags??

Yeah, that's what I call bum bags. I can see the need for them at dog obedience and such.
  • Christine_72
    Bum bags

9wxyo8blxjj3.jpg

And one for the manly men :lol:

eq4odp0ohvil.jpg

• pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Eeewww... I can never unsee that mansack!
    My lovely husband uses a black leather bumbag when we go travelling. Which I don't think looks that great, but he likes it for carrying small amounts of cash etc (not valuable stuff).

Re tipping- I certainly see (and occasionally do it) here in Australia, but the difference is that here it's optional. I tip if the food or service or something is over and above what I expect. Normally I don't tip because I think we pay a pretty fair price already in restaurants, taxis, haircuts etc and I don't feel that it's my job to make up for a low salary paid by an employer. In fact, in Perth I know we pay more in restaurants, pubs, coffee shops etc (compared to when I travel to Sydney in particular) so I tip rarely.
    I try and remember to do it when I'm overseas though, as I know the culture and the wages are very different, but I definitely resent having to tip when I don't get good service.

Most of the terms discussed here aren't that unfamiliar to me - I think I've hung around on international forums to have picked up quite a few of them along the way. Things like courgette/zucchini, coriander/cilantro etc.

The one that still gets me the most though is the term "to bonk" - meaning to run out of energy during a race. That definitely stills means "to have sex" in my vocab and doing that mid race sounds like a heap of fun, though pretty damn unlikely!

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    pebble4321 wrote: »
    Re tipping- I certainly see (and occasionally do it) here in Australia, but the difference is that here it's optional. I tip if the food or service or something is over and above what I expect. Normally I don't tip because I think we pay a pretty fair price already in restaurants, taxis, haircuts etc and I don't feel that it's my job to make up for a low salary paid by an employer. In fact, in Perth I know we pay more in restaurants, pubs, coffee shops etc (compared to when I travel to Sydney in particular) so I tip rarely.
    I try and remember to do it when I'm overseas though, as I know the culture and the wages are very different, but I definitely resent having to tip when I don't get good service...

It's definitely optional in the U.S. (except for some restaurants which will automatically add a "gratuity" to the bill, usually for larger parties of, say, six or more people) - I'd call it "optional, but expected".

RE: the bolded, it's not uncommon here for people to leave a one cent tip for poor service. Putting down a penny for a tip is a way of clearly showing that you were dissatisfied with the service.
  • Christine_72
    I wish they would just pay these people more, so they didn't have to pretty much rely on public donations.
  • Chef_Barbell
    I wish they would just pay these people more, so they didn't have to pretty much rely on public donations.

Public donations? Ouch :noway:
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    pebble4321 wrote: »
    I try and remember to do it when I'm overseas though, as I know the culture and the wages are very different, but I definitely resent having to tip when I don't get good service...

It's definitely optional in the U.S. (except for some restaurants which will automatically add a "gratuity" to the bill, usually for larger parties of, say, six or more people) - I'd call it "optional, but expected".

RE: the bolded, it's not uncommon here for people to leave a one cent tip for poor service. Putting down a penny for a tip is a way of clearly showing that you were dissatisfied with the service.

Interesting, I thought everyone would tip 10% anyway, and more if you were happy with the service. Good to know!
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Machka9 wrote: »
    elebel82 wrote: »
    Australian:
    Chips = us fries
    Chips = uk crisps

There's rarely any confusion over them - it's usually context that will give it away, though we also do sometimes distinguish hot chips vs potato chips.
    However just about every aussie who visits the US has at least one instance of being disappointed when offered chips with something and getting potato chips. You guys do eat potato chips with weird things (hotdogs, subs, burgers, etc.)

For that matter, all of the classic bun + meat items that are sold in mcdonalds in australia are "burgers" even the chicken offerings . A "sandwich" is generally a much healthier item, cheese/cold meat such as ham etc/egg with salad in two pieces of bread, such as what's taken to school.
    At home I take my tea white. It took a number of confused looks and wrong orders in the states to eventually come up with "hot black tea with milk." (or space for milk.)
    I still don't understand what the deal is with "cream" in america. Cream to me is thick and what I put on desserts, I put milk in my tea and coffee. Nor do I understand what half n half is.

Speaking of this ... one that confused me when I first moved to Australia was "salad roll". As in, "I think I'll just have a salad roll for lunch."

I was envisioning some sort of salad. Nope!

A salad roll - ie a bread roll filled with things like lettuce ,tomato, cucumber,cheese - what would you call it in other places?

A cheese sandwich.

If someone asked me for a cheese sandwich, they'd get bread and cheese, and maybe butter if they asked for it. :p

I agree. The item described above seems more to me like what we'd call a "wrap", assuming it was all rolled up in a flour tortilla.
  • Chef_Barbell
    TonyB0588 wrote: »
    Australian:
    Chips = us fries
    Chips = uk crisps

There's rarely any confusion over them - it's usually context that will give it away, though we also do sometimes distinguish hot chips vs potato chips.
    However just about every aussie who visits the US has at least one instance of being disappointed when offered chips with something and getting potato chips. You guys do eat potato chips with weird things (hotdogs, subs, burgers, etc.)

For that matter, all of the classic bun + meat items that are sold in mcdonalds in australia are "burgers" even the chicken offerings . A "sandwich" is generally a much healthier item, cheese/cold meat such as ham etc/egg with salad in two pieces of bread, such as what's taken to school.
    At home I take my tea white. It took a number of confused looks and wrong orders in the states to eventually come up with "hot black tea with milk." (or space for milk.)
    I still don't understand what the deal is with "cream" in america. Cream to me is thick and what I put on desserts, I put milk in my tea and coffee. Nor do I understand what half n half is.

Speaking of this ... one that confused me when I first moved to Australia was "salad roll". As in, "I think I'll just have a salad roll for lunch."

A salad roll - ie a bread roll filled with things like lettuce ,tomato, cucumber,cheese - what would you call it in other places?

A cheese sandwich.

If someone asked me for a cheese sandwich, they'd get bread and cheese, and maybe butter if they asked for it. :p

I agree. The item described above seems more to me like what we'd call a "wrap", assuming it was all rolled up in a flour tortilla.

It was on a Hero roll. I thought the same originally as well.
  • Christine_72

But thats what it boils down too. Employers are getting away with paying a pittance hourly rate, so their staff need to rely on their customers to give them extra cash/tips/donations.

• Chef_Barbell

But thats what it boils down too. Employers are getting away with paying a pittance hourly rate, so their staff need to rely on their customers to give them extra cash/tips/donations.

Higher wages would be higher menu prices. Some restaurants here in NYC follow that model and people still complain. Damned if you do...

Tips a service employee works for, and service employees get treated pretty crappy a lot of times, are not donations. It's a little insulting to insinuate that.

Also if the service worker doesn't make enough in tips, the employer is required to make up the difference in the hourly wage to be at least minimum wage.
  • paperpudding
    Australian:
    Chips = us fries
    Chips = uk crisps

A cheese sandwich.

No, a salad roll wouldn't be rolled up in a tortilla - that would be a salad wrap.
    A salad roll would be the items in a roll ( or a bread bun, to some of you)
    A salad sandwich would be same items between 2 pieces of bread.

3 things - same fillings- ie lettuce, tomato, cucumber, cheese, or similar things, but in roll, wrap or sandwich outers.

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,706 Member
    edited January 2017
    Australian:
    Chips = us fries
    Chips = uk crisps

A cheese sandwich.

A salad roll is in a bun.

This is a "ham salad roll" ...

ham-salad-roll-10338934.jpg

This is a "cheese salad roll" ...

cheese-salad-bread-roll-10066621.jpg

• paperpudding
    edited January 2017
    Yes that's it !! :)

A picture tells a thousand words ;)