Chocolate is Horrible

I'm probably a weirdo, but I just can't stand the taste of chocolate or any type of milky sweet drink for that matter. I've tried to choke down various brands of vanilla and chocolate protein shakes (as that seems to be the go to flavors in so many "healthy" bars and shakes). Gag me! All they do is leave this nasty film in my mouth that makes me crave something salty like chips or cheese. I don't know what to do. I'd rather drink a gallon of salt water than choke down a chocolate shake. Is there some kind of fruit or punch flavor protein drink or something that anyone can recommend? :(

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Then don't drink it! You can get the protein you require from real food: chicken, eggs, fish, dairy, beans/legumes, tofu, etc.
    If you really need protein supplements you can try hiding them in pancakes and other goodies if you desire, but again, not necessary.
  • CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    There's wayyyy too much food I do like to worry about food I don't like. You don't need to eat chocolate, or protein shakes.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    I'm not a fan of shakes either, those artificial sweeteners just gross me out. You really don't need them though, just have a Greek yogurt instead.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    I'm sure you can find strawberry protein shakes. Not sure if you like strawberry, but it's almost as common as vanilla and chocolate.

Whey Protein Isolate fruit punch is out there. I found a lot of fruit flavored powdered proteins in a Google search.
  • huntress74
    huntress74 Posts: 31 Member
    I was going for meal replacement since I work a very sedentary job for 10 hours a day. I am trying to keep my calories low, but am worried I'm not getting enough nutrition. Normally I just drink water all day, however I tend to overeat when I get home which is a problem. I have been trying different brands of protein shakes to help with that, but I just can't stomach chocolate or milky sweet flavors. Perhaps a yogurt will help. I'll try that.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    I used to have one called Nectar - it was like fruit juice.

But.... Why use protein powders at all? If you can get your protein from food you can avoid using any powders!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    chicken
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    edited January 2017
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I'm not a fan of shakes either, those artificial sweeteners just gross me out. You really don't need them though, just have a Greek yogurt instead.

This--greek yogurt has alot of protein, and you can mix fruits, or whatever, in to your taste. I use Fage 2%, which has alot of flavor, but not alot of calories.
  • Kenda2427
    Kenda2427 Posts: 1,592 Member
    Don't worry about it. I have never had a shake in my life and have no intention to.
  • huntress74
    Doctor recommended it so I would get more nutrition but not the calories. I thought I'd ask here so I wouldn't spend money on fruity ones that didn't taste good. Those big tubs aren't cheap.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    huntress74 wrote: »
    Doctor recommended it so I would get more nutrition but not the calories. I thought I'd ask here so I wouldn't spend money on fruity ones that didn't taste good. Those big tubs aren't cheap.

Protein powder still has calories. All protein is 4cals per gram regardless of whether it comes from powder or food....

• CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    I find protein powder to be quite heavy on calories, compared to other protein things that I enjoy more. I've got quite a low calorie allowance and, unless I'm having a meat-free meal, I can get all the protein I need from real food and keep within my allowance.
  • huntress74
    Yes I could eat chicken, but I was trying to get protein as well as a few other vitamins and minerals without eating a full meal and consuming the calories. That is why doc recommended shakes I guess. I don't know, this is all so frustrating. I realize I have no concept of the right amount of nutrition I actually need. I'd rather not eat anything than have to worry about it. It's just so much easier. But, I know that's not good either.
  • huntress74
    Thanks for the advice guys.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    Yes I could eat chicken, but I was trying to get protein as well as a few other vitamins and minerals without eating a full meal and consuming the calories. That is why doc recommended shakes I guess. I don't know, this is all so frustrating. I realize I have no concept of the right amount of nutrition I actually need. I'd rather not eat anything than have to worry about it. It's just so much easier. But, I know that's not good either.

Does your protein powder have added vitamins and minerals? Wouldn't you just get a multivitamin for that?

Choose mostly nutrient dense foods to fill your calories to get adequate nutrition...
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    Figure out how many calories you need to eat by using MFP.
    Eat the same foods you usually eat, just adjust the portions to meet your calorie targets.

Skipping meals isn't evil. Lots of people practice Intermittent Fasting. I do IF 16:8, which essentially means skipping breakfast. This helps control my hunger throughout the day. (for me, breakfast and snacks are appetizers)

This is just one way to cut calories though. If you're just starting out, I really just recommend eating normally and logging all your meals. You'll quickly find the 'calorie bombs' in your diet, and make adjustments.

And really, don't worry about macros (which means carbs/proteins/fats etc) Honestly, if you don't live in a third world country, you're highly unlikely to be nutrient deficient. If you're worried, take a vitamin.
  • paulandrachelk
    paulandrachelk Posts: 280 Member
    So eat a protein bar.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,030 Member
    edited January 2017
    Doctor recommended it so I would get more nutrition but not the calories.
    I was going for meal replacement since I work a very sedentary job for 10 hours a day. I am trying to keep my calories low, but am worried I'm not getting enough nutrition. Normally I just drink water all day, however I tend to overeat when I get home which is a problem. I have been trying different brands of protein shakes to help with that, but I just can't stomach chocolate or milky sweet flavors. Perhaps a yogurt will help. I'll try that.
    Greek yogurt is really portable too. Chicken is something you're able to prepare ahead of time on Sunday for the week if you find that easier. You can cook it up in various ways and have some at work and grab a chicken tender and eat it on the way home! ::laugh: Check out the chicken recipes on here. In fact maybe I'll start a new thread "simple ways to prepare chicken for the drive home! " :D

Of course you can continue with the shakes I just wanted to share a protein that is very high and low on the calories that is very portable.
    Just putting things in perspective regarding calories & nutrition :smiley:

Chicken breast

Nutrition Facts
    4 oz (113.4 g)
    Calories 187
    Fat 4 g
    Saturated fat 1.1 g
    Polyunsaturated fat 0.9 g
    Monounsaturated fat 1.4 g
    Cholesterol 96 mg
    Sodium 84 mg
    Potassium 290 mg
    Protein 35 g 70%
    Iron 6%

• huntress74
    I don't take a multivitamin. I read that they don't do much as they aren't absorbed into the body because of the coatings on them. I do take a few individual vitamins that are veggie caps, but not regularly. :/ Yes this powder has 35% calcium, and some iron and fiber, natural enzymes and is low carb. The one I am trying now is called 'BioTrust Low Carb.' My mother recommended it. It's all I can do to try and drink it. That's why I was looking for some other suggestions.

I'm am a dieting dummy. There is so much conflicting info out there, it's frustrating and a bit overwhelming. Eat this and that at this time but not that. Combine these foods, but not those. Micronutrients and macronutrients, low carb, glycemic index, paleo is the answer, vegan is the best, eat everything raw, cook with olive oil, dont' eat white food, all sugar is bad... What the heck are your really supposed to eat? I'm exhausted thinking about it, so I just drink water. LOL
  • RogerToo
    RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member
    I'm probably a weirdo, but I just can't stand the taste of chocolate or any type of milky sweet drink for that matter. I've tried to choke down various brands of vanilla and chocolate protein shakes (as that seems to be the go to flavors in so many "healthy" bars and shakes). Gag me! All they do is leave this nasty film in my mouth that makes me crave something salty like chips or cheese. I don't know what to do. I'd rather drink a gallon of salt water than choke down a chocolate shake. Is there some kind of fruit or punch flavor protein drink or something that anyone can recommend? :(

Hi
    Is it possible that You have been trying the wrong brand of protein shakes? I find the ones I use to be tasty, However I have tried some that I threw out for the reasons You delineate.

Try a 4 Pack of the Atkins for example. I like the Café Caramel Shake and the Mocha Latte Shake

Good Luck
    Roger