dbecker70 wrote: »
    BUMP

Slow Cooker Mexican Chicken

Number of Servings: 6

Ingredients:
    4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
    1 cup salsa
    1 package reduced sodium taco seasoning
    1 can reduced fat cream of mushroom soup (condensed)
    1/2 cup reduced fat sour cream

Directions:
    Add chicken to slow cooker.
    Sprinkle taco seasoning over chicken.
    Pour salsa and soup over chicken.
    Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours.
    Remove from heat and stir in sour cream.
    Serve with rice.

Nutritional Info
    Servings Per Recipe: 6
    Amount Per Serving
    Calories: 157.2
    Total Fat: 3.3 g
    Cholesterol: 63.4 mg
    Sodium: 654.2 mg
    Total Carbs: 6.7 g
    Dietary Fiber: 0.9 g
    Protein: 24.3 g

I added green and red peppers and onions to it about halfway thru cooking. This way I had more vegetables.
  • Illy_Mooncat
    Illy_Mooncat Posts: 159 Member
    This thread is giving me life <3
  • karobines
    karobines Posts: 13 Member
    Crockpot Beeftips & Gravy
    (You can totally use the smaller Crockpot for this, and I like to double the recipe for the bigger one)

1 Package stew meat
    1 Can French Onion Soup (Campbell's)
    1 Can Cream of Celery Soup

Leave on low all day (I get home about 10 hours after I leave and it's still great), serve over rice or noodles.

Easiest thing I've ever made and the absolute yummiest. You'd think the cream of celery soup would overpower it but you can't taste it at all.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    I've made this twice, once with rolled oats and ones with old fashioned, pretty tasty either way (I skipped the butter, halfed the sugar), though I'd like to try it with other fruits as well it seems like a good base (and she has other recipes).
    http://www.theyummylife.com/Slow_Cooker_Apple_Cinnamon_Oatmeal
  • quiarga
    quiarga Posts: 408 Member
    (You can totally use the smaller Crockpot for this, and I like to double the recipe for the bigger one)

1 Package stew meat

Leave on low all day (I get home about 10 hours after I leave and it's still great), serve over rice or noodles.

Easiest thing I've ever made and the absolute yummiest. You'd think the cream of celery soup would overpower it but you can't taste it at all.

I do something pretty similar for beef stroganoff. I just use an English or chuck roast, whatever was on sale (but stew meat works too) and a can of French onion soup in the crock pot on low all day. Shred with forks when ready. Mix in a can of cream of mushroom soup and about 1/3 cup of sour cream. Serve over or mix in with egg noodles.
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    karobines wrote: »

1 Package stew meat

And the way I make this is to use round steak - however much you need to feed your family. then add a "cream of" soup - mushroom, asparagus, celery - doesnt matter - plus the packet of onion soup mix. Fabulous easy meal even good for company. Great gravy!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    crazyravr wrote: »
    It is NOT a good idea to put frozen meat in the crock pot. The temperature rises too slowly to prevent bacteria from growing. Put in defrosted meat or partially cook the meat on the stove before putting in pot. This is especially true for chicken. It's unfortunate that the first comment here advises people to use raw chicken :/

False.

I think this depends.........

Old crock pots have a lower temperature than new ones do. Newer crock pots are safer for frozen food.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited February 2017
    agbmom556 wrote: »
    I found a good price on beets this past week. I cook them in my crock pot and use them as a salad during the week.

Take 2 bunches of beets (I use regular and golden beets)
    scrub them. If they have the stems attached cut those off. (I leave about 2 inches of stems on the beets. If you cut them too short the beets liquid will drain out.)

Dry the whole beets and rub vegetable oil, and coarse salt on top.

put 2 layers of foil in crock pot. (enough to cover on all sides and fold over)
    add beets and fold the top of the foil.

cook 4 hours high.

let cool
    put on gloves and peel off skin then slice the beets and add a couple of tablespoons of balsamic vinegar.
    Done

*do not throw away the tops of the beets. wash them well, and chop them up. Saute with a little garlic and olive oil.
    Enjoy.

Thank you,

I love beets!
  • bigislandgrrl
    bigislandgrrl Posts: 196 Member
    Im a big fan of Pork Arm roast (also known as pork butt) in the crock pot. Salt and pepper thoroughly, cook at least 8 hours on low. No need to add any liquid. If we are making tacos Ill add a can of hatch green chilis when I start cooking, shred and serve on corn tortillas with salsa, avocado slices and cilantro. If we're doing Hawaiian Kahlua pork I will add 3 tablespoons or so of hickory flavored liquid smoke when I start cooking. This is served over rice.
  • MlleKelly
    MlleKelly Posts: 356 Member
    BudgetBytes.com white chicken chili....omg.

My house smells so good right now. Except I make mine with the Morning Star vegetarian chicken substitute and add some more beans...
  • Illy_Mooncat
    http://www.onelovelylife.com/slow-cooker-butter-chicken/

Paleo butter chicken! I'm not paleo but this was SO good. I put everything in the crockpot with chicken and let it cook on high about 5 hours (my chicken was still frozen). Only diffs: I used coconut cream becuase that's what I had, and I couldn't get cardamom so I used an equal mix of cinnamon and nutmeg. At the end, while I put my rice in the rice cooker, I shredded the chicken, and added some frozen peas, and stirred the whole thing together to sit while the rice cooked. SO GOOD. And easy too!
  • kaye300
    kaye300 Posts: 29 Member
    Home made crock pot yogurt

Half of a gallon of milk
    One container whole milk plain yogurt.

Pour milk into crock cook on low 2 hours 45 minutes, then shut of and leave standing as is 2 hours.
    After two hours are up stir in small container of whole milk plain yogurt(these are your cultures).
    Wrap in large bath towel and stick it in oven++ (see below)with light on and leave it alone for at least twelve hours.
    This is great to do over night.....

It will have liquid on top ...this is whey and can be spooned off.
    Can add fruit or vanilla, honey, you choose....

Don't forget to set a side about a cup for starter on next batch
    +++NOT for GAS oven!!!!!!!! We don't want towel on fire!

Good for 7-10 days in fridge....the fresher the milk the longer it lasts...
    Also the more milk fat the thicker the yogurt...
    If you use 2 percent or lower were you can strain with cheesecloth to make thicker or add unflavored gelatin when you add cultures to thicken.

• Lynzdee18
    Lynzdee18 Posts: 500 Member
    Today I'm making Hawaiian Kahlua Pork.
  • Lynzdee18
    Lynzdee18 Posts: 500 Member
    Sorry all. I can't get my post to show in its entirety. Will try later....
  • Illy_Mooncat
    http://www.food.com/recipe/slow-cooker-orange-chicken-256146

Also made this! Made with chicken breast and shredded it at the end. Super good. Added a small dash of ghost chili sauce to the seasonings too for a bit of spice. It's so simple I'll defs make it again.
  • Pooshka2
    Pooshka2 Posts: 207 Member
    Slow Cooker Beer Cheese Soup

1 cup white onion, finely chopped
    3/4 cup carrot, finely chopped
    1/2 cup celery, finely chopped
    1 (12 oz.) bottle beer (ale or lager)
    1 (32 oz.) carton chicken broth
    1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
    1 teaspoon garlic powder
    kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
    3 cups sharp cheddar cheese, grated
    1/2 cup half and half
    1/2 cup bacon bits (Kirkland)
    1/4 cup cornstarch

Combine onion, carrots and celery in slow cooker, pour in beer and chicken broth.
    Season with Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
    Turn slow cooker on HIGH and cook for 2 1/2-3 hours, or until vegetables have softened.
    Stir in half and half, bacon bits and cheddar cheese, cook for another 15-20 minutes, or until cheese is melted.
    Whisk cornstarch in and cook for another 10 minutes.
    Ladle soup into serving bowls (or blend first and then serve), then garnish with paprika and serve hot.

256 calories per one-cup serving. I topped with 3/4 cup air-popped popcorn (23 calories)
  • Illy_Mooncat
    @Pooshka2 OMG that sounds AMAZING ❤️❤️❤️
  • Illy_Mooncat
    http://picky-palate.com/2012/09/20/pesto-ranch-crock-pot-chicken-thighs/

Made this with chicken breast instead and shredded it all up over some orzo pasta. Soooo good. You don't really taste the ranch; it just give it an extra something and the whole thing is savory and delicious ❤️