Looking for friends and accountability

Hi! I'm 30, and a newlywed. I moved to a new city almost two years ago and still haven't made any real friends. I blamed my weight a lot on that.. but now I just don't want to see my life pass before me because of something I can change! I've recently been diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes and the result of that made me gain 50 pounds. I'm still trying to deal with the depression that has caused but I'm beginning to see the light at the end of the tunnel. I'm looking for friends and accountability to help me reach my goals!

Replies

• RL_2016
    RL_2016 Posts: 16 Member
    You can do this! One day at a time that's my motto. Feel free to add me as a friend :)
  • amers271
    amers271 Posts: 17 Member
    You got this! I'm looking for friends and accountability too. Feel free to add me as a friend also. :smiley:
  • soniksing
    soniksing Posts: 2 Member
    Did you mean type 2 diabetes? I believe type 1 is juvenile diabetes. Something you are born with rather than something you developed. Either way, have you started a diabetic diet? I'm not diabetic but I think eating like one will definitely help never develop it. Please share!
  • Nuge007
    Nuge007 Posts: 39 Member
    Hi! Every step towards change counts! Keep working at it, it sounds like you are on the right track
  • antonioramir3z
    antonioramir3z Posts: 29 Member
    I heard that type 2 could be reversed. Just have to keep up with the life changes. Which isn't so bad. I just turned 30 too and it feels like I can't eat fast food any more
  • karileanne5274
    karileanne5274 Posts: 19 Member
    No I have type 1 Diabetes, Yes most are diagnosed as a child, however there are several people that do get diagnosed later in life with Type 1. It can occur from an early childhood age to an adult at 35 yrs of age. Mostly in Type 2 diabetics your pancreas is still creating a little bit of insulin, however in type 1, your pancreas fails and doesn't produce insulin at all. Type 2 can sometimes be reversed with diet and exercise but with type 1, I will have it for the rest of my life.
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    No I have type 1 Diabetes, Yes most are diagnosed as a child, however there are several people that do get diagnosed later in life with Type 1. It can occur from an early childhood age to an adult at 35 yrs of age. Mostly in Type 2 diabetics your pancreas is still creating a little bit of insulin, however in type 1, your pancreas fails and doesn't produce insulin at all. Type 2 can sometimes be reversed with diet and exercise but with type 1, I will have it for the rest of my life.
    Exactly. In addition, folks diagnosed in adulthood most-often bear the compounded effects of being insulin-resistant as well, making glycemic control even more challenging. This is why many diagnosed with Type I in adulthood gain weight, similar to many Type II's.
  • ajaysharma316
    ajaysharma316 Posts: 104 Member
    the most important part is to start. You already have done that. I m sure you will be able to turn your life around just like me. feel free to add me.
  • FallGirl84
    FallGirl84 Posts: 33 Member
    You can add me as well, if you like. I'm 32 and my first wedding anniversary is coming up in three weeks :) And I also moved to a new city 3 years ago :D Luckily through my board gaming hobby I've managed to find some new friends in here, but I don't think I'll ever feel completely in home while living here... Oh well. My family has a history with heart problems and getting type 2 Diabetes, which is why I now decided to seriously start losing weight.